Friend's mother is being snotty about her daughter's b-day.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 12:21 pm

I have a friend whose b-day is coming up in on Monday and she wants me to meet her at the movies on Sunday and wants to invite some other friends as well. Unfortunately, I had to call her mother today and ask if Andrea could invite some of our other friends. In response, my friend's mother was really snotty on the phone. She was like, "I'm going to be real honest with ya. This is my daughter's day and you can't just invite your own friends along without her approval." It was like she didn't hear me and my friend wants to invite them, which she considers her friends.

To make things more complicated, my friend will be 27 but has holes in her ear drum and is Asperger's and is the only child of her parents but she acts like a 10-year-old. In addition, her parents are over protect her and spoil her rotten and have taught her to be a bit on the selfish side.

What do I do in response to her mother's behavior?

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 12:29 pm

Next time, maybe just ask to speak to the daughter and don't tell the mother why. Meh, sounds a bit like you can't win either way- but you weren't in the wrong, after all you were just doing what you were asked to do! Her mum just didn't know the whole story and was trying to be protective.

Does your friedn ahve many friends of her own besides you? I'm just ask because it seems odd that you're the one doing the inviting.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 2:13 pm

Depends on if the Mom is paying for the tickets. If she is then she has the right to say no. Or her daughter should have asked and not you.

If she is not paying -- then who is to say who you meet at the movies and the Mom is then not involved.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 2:55 pm

This lady is just plain strange and I mean strange. For one thing, she goes around with her nose in the air and this little attitude about anyone who is "worldly." She and her husband and also used my aunt and I to watch her daughter when we got back from FL onetime and they went out to eat before picking her up.

maritimeblaze17
Raven
Raven

31 May 2008, 8:20 pm

Why does her mother have to be involved if this is an adult woman? And why do you need "parental approval" to do something for her birthday with her adult friends? Aren't you all grown up men and women who can make your own social plans?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 7:30 pm

Sorry, but I agree with your friend's mother. It is your friend's party, she should choose which friends of HER's to invite, not someone else's friends that were invited by someone else.