Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 2:34 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
Venom are cult! Even though their satanic lyrics are so much over the top nobody should take it seriously, but guess that just makes it enjoyable (contrary to the bands like Mayhem who seem to really mean it)

I know! I completely agree about Venom! Hilariously over the top yet they rock so hard (*carefully avoids saying "brutal"*). Have you seen any live footage of them? I saw this one DVD of a show from the 80's. That German guitar player is so weird and silly! They used cheap, crappy gear, but I never seem to notice that when I listen to one of their records at full volume!

Oh, and Mayhem rock too, from what I've heard of them. But obviously, one of the main reasons people buy their records is because of that crazy murder/cannibalism story.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 2:43 pm

I like Morbid Angel more than Venom :)

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 2:48 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
crackedpleasures wrote:
Venom are cult! Even though their satanic lyrics are so much over the top nobody should take it seriously, but guess that just makes it enjoyable (contrary to the bands like Mayhem who seem to really mean it)

I know! I completely agree about Venom! Hilariously over the top yet they rock so hard (*carefully avoids saying "brutal"*). Have you seen any live footage of them? I saw this one DVD of a show from the 80's. That German guitar player is so weird and silly! They used cheap, crappy gear, but I never seem to notice that when I listen to one of their records at full volume!

Oh, and Mayhem rock too, from what I've heard of them. But obviously, one of the main reasons people buy their records is because of that crazy murder/cannibalism story.

Never saw live footage of Venom. But their records are partially iconic due to the bad recording sound, that just contributed to the underground feeling of the earliest extreme metal.

By the way, if you like more extreme metal, check out Salem from Israel. Great doom metal band with oriental Jewish influences, some very interesting lyrics on the holocaust etc, and a shocking video for their song Ha'ayara Bo'eret (a cover of an old jewish poem from 1938). The more extreme side of Middle Eastern metal but a very good band alltogether.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 8:44 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
Never saw live footage of Venom. But their records are partially iconic due to the bad recording sound, that just contributed to the underground feeling of the earliest extreme metal.

Hehe, those records sound pretty clear to me, compared to everything else I listen to.

crackedpleasures wrote:
By the way, if you like more extreme metal, check out Salem from Israel. Great doom metal band with oriental Jewish influences, some very interesting lyrics on the holocaust etc, and a shocking video for their song Ha'ayara Bo'eret (a cover of an old jewish poem from 1938). The more extreme side of Middle Eastern metal but a very good band alltogether.

I certainly will! Sounds quite intriguing.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 8:59 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Kilroy, you'll have to let us know what you think after you've checked out some of the bands that people have recommended! I've noticed that your taste in music is pretty unique, and constantly evolving. So I'm curious as to what direction you'll go in next.

From Genesis to Pink Floyd to T Rex to Black Sabbath to . . . :?:

Misha and Natalia from Russia

a great Russian dance/folk band
I don't understand anything they say
but I love its sounds :D
here-have a listen
http://www.barynya.com/mp3/duo_cd.stm

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 9:01 pm

Kalister1 wrote:
I have no idea what Bolt Thrower is talking about :(

What is a "World Eater"? :x

its a thing of Space Marines (super humans) gone nuts
much of Bolt Throwers lyrics are about this game
I play this game and have done so since 13 its my hobby
those guys are World Eaters

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 10:02 pm

j2xj2x wrote:
Isis

Mmmm. Post Metal. Isis are a mighty fine band. :wtg:

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:29 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
crackedpleasures wrote:

Hehe, those records sound pretty clear to me, compared to everything else I listen to.

crackedpleasures wrote:

I certainly will! Sounds quite intriguing.

Ha'ayara Bo'eret was a poem by Gebirtig in 1938 after nazis burnt down his jewish town. The song was written in Yiddish and was a warning anthem and cry for help, unfortunately the holocaust happened and the Hebrew version of the song (Ha'ayara Bo'eret) was sung ever since during ceremonies remembering the holocaust.

When Salem made a doom metal version of the song and a video with actual footage from Auschwitz, the whole country was shocked. The video was very explicit and the idea of a metal band covering such a song shocked people. But Salem meant it as an anti-war statement. In the end the Israeli parliament had to decide if the song would be allowed, and they voted to allow it. The video is very shocking though so sensitive people should not watch it, but personally I think the doomy sound and the explicit images make an excellent anti-war statement.

Last month Salem brought their version of the song during Holocaust Remember Day in Tel Aviv, which meant they became the first metal band to perform at such event :)

Ha'ayara Bo'eret means "the town is burning".

Translation of the lyrics (more or less - my Hebrew can be a bit rusty but it is more or less the translation):

"Burn, brothers, burn!
Our little town is burning
Flames of destruction rise through it
Dark spirits are raging
Erasing all traces of what has been
And you witness but you do nothing
Nothing to save our little town and stop the fire
Nothing will remain of our town, our burning town

Burn, brothers, burn!
The day of judgement is near chas vechalila
Flames of destruction are erasing all of what has been

Burn, brothers, burn!
Our little town is on fire
And you stand there but reach out no hands
Please stop the fire, stop the fire with your blood
The fire rises high!"

Search for "salem israel" on YouTube. Because of the shocking nature of the video I rather not post the direct link.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)