Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 11:14 am

I got all the Drivers for the laptop i'm borrowing. However i can`t get the SATA drivers to install w/o an ancient floopy disk and i`m not buying a USB Floppy Driver to make 1 Disk.[I downgraded it form Vista to XP Pro.] My Laptop is a Compaq Presario C552US.[ XP is already installed with all drivers and software like Avast and Spybot.]

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 1:51 pm

How about a cheap thumb drive? They don't cost hardly anything anymore. I think I saw some for $.99 even somewhere.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 12:13 pm

zghost wrote:
How about a cheap thumb drive? They don't cost hardly anything anymore. I think I saw some for $.99 even somewhere.

The Program i`m using demands a Floppy Disk. Otherwise i can`t use the driver. [I believe the disk is for people installing the Drivers during Windows Setup rather than when windows is already installed.] Otherwise i`d use my 2GB Thumb Drive.[It was only $17.]

lau
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 2:11 pm

I had a trawl, and found the following suggestion:

http://help.lockergnome.com/general/Win ... 52281.html

Quote:
FOUND IT, SATA NATIVE SUPPORT MUST BE DISABLED IN THIS MACHINE (COMPAQ C552US). After doing that XP loads no problem and no extra drivers need to be installed.

It sounds insane... but it's worth a try. :)

lau
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 2:33 pm

I guess you have seen this, on the HP website. If the link doesn't work, I searched the HP support site for "xp sata" on your "Compaq Presario C552US Notebook PC" product, and the doc at the top of the list was "How to add Serial ATA (SATA) driver to a Windows Installation".

I always USED to like HP. Their site is incredibly anti the upgrade from Vista to XP. Viz: "HP Notebook PCs - Issues with Downgrading HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario PCs to Windows XP and Restoring Windows Vista", where they try to tell you that magic Vista is so lovely and they refuse to even contemplate the idea that you might prefer XP.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 4:22 pm

You can get a USB floppy drive for like, ten bucks. But go to a used parts store, cause some of the newer USB floppys WILL NOT work on HP's or Compaqs that originally shipped with Vista. I have no idea why, we just know it doesn't work.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot