Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 5:46 am

Cyberman wrote:
And I've noticed that most game-to-movie adaptations suck anyway... so do game-to-novel adaptations.

That's because most game-to-movie adaptions are directed by Uwe Boll himself.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 10:03 am

Uwe Boll directed the Mario movie in 1993?

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 11:00 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
Cyberman wrote:
And I've noticed that most game-to-movie adaptations suck anyway... so do game-to-novel adaptations.

That's because most game-to-movie adaptions are directed by Uwe Boll himself.

Even the ones NOT directed by Uwe Boll suck... at least in my opinion.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 1:25 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I like Uwe Boll for one reason: he beat the crap out of Lowtax...

High five 8)

I liked how Lowtax was whining about it afterwards, like he expected Uwe to take it easy on him or something :roll:

Cyberman wrote:
...I'm not quite sure what Boll has against Michael Bay...

He was probably the only bad modern director he could think of besides himself...and he can't exactly put down himself, can he? :wink:

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
Alone in the Dark is one of the pioneers in the survival horror genre...

Oh, I'm aware. When I said the games sucked, I meant Postal. AitD is great, aside from 4...and I never did get 3 to run ¬_¬

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
I've never played the first Postal game, but Postal 2 was great fun for a couple of hours.

The first Postal is pretty lame. There's just one screen of action, and there's some guys standing around, and you shoot them. It's like a bad minigame or something.

Haven't played the full version of Postal 2, but the demo was pretty boring to me. I spent maybe an hour hitting people with a shovel and peeing on them, and then realized that being bad for the sake of being bad isn't all that exciting. Maybe in the full version, the missions get more complicated than "Buy a jug of milk.", but the demo sure didn't entice me to find out :roll:

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 2:42 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Uwe Boll directed the Mario movie in 1993?

No, that was directed by Rocky Morton, Annabel Jankel (the two creators of Max Headroom) and Roland Joffe

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 7:47 pm

jamesohgoodie wrote:
as much as i hate Uwe Boll (and i do) i have a sort of begrudging respect for him. his films always come in under budget and make a profit so that guarantees he'll be able to make more, he always gets great casts (well interesting ones), and his name is well known.

Not true--his films NEVER make a profit. Every single one of them has lost money. And his casts, while interesting, never put on decent performances. He gets big names and wastes them.

curiouslittleboy wrote:
Oh, C'on!! ! That first video is so messed with...the voices tones and timings are so far off, it's riculious. :\

Nope, it came from Boll himself. It's uploaded on his YouTube channel.

Cyberman wrote:
Even the ones NOT directed by Uwe Boll suck... at least in my opinion.

That's because a lot of them are directed by Paul W.S. Anderson. Boll's the only person to make his movies look good, just about.

Anyway, "Silent Hill" was pretty great.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 1:07 am

I've also seen ones not directed by Anderson or Boll, and I could hardly stomach them (the Tomb Raider movies, for example.) But I usually don't go as far as actually "hating" directors who make crappy movies... I just don't care about them...

*feels a tap on the shoulder, turns around, and gets punched in the face by a boxing-gloved fist*

Hi, zis is Uwe Boll, und I am posting from Cyberman's computer (vich he von't be using for avile.) I found his comment very eensalting, becuss I care about him. I also find it eensalting how all you fahking retahds on WrongPlanet keep beetching about me making sheety movies about your favorite games, und yet you can't even make a sheety movie viz ketchup und your little brozzer. So you all know vat's coming up, basically. I'm going to track down every last fahking one of you und rip you apaht. You retahds sink you are ubercool playing your Halo boolsheet Mortal Kombat boolsheet crap fighting games every fahking veekend, so let's see how vell you do against ze only genius in ze whole fahking business. Boll against WrongPlanet. IT'S ON.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 1:28 am

Looks like his postal movie was a big hit in Hoboken
http://www.nj.com/hudsoncountynow/index ... tal_p.html

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 8:51 pm

Cyberman wrote:
I've also seen ones not directed by Anderson or Boll, and I could hardly stomach them (the Tomb Raider movies, for example.) But I usually don't go as far as actually "hating" directors who make crappy movies... I just don't care about them...

*feels a tap on the shoulder, turns around, and gets punched in the face by a boxing-gloved fist*

Hi, zis is Uwe Boll, und I am posting from Cyberman's computer (vich he von't be using for avile.) I found his comment very eensalting, becuss I care about him. I also find it eensalting how all you fahking retahds on WrongPlanet keep beetching about me making sheety movies about your favorite games, und yet you can't even make a sheety movie viz ketchup und your little brozzer. So you all know vat's coming up, basically. I'm going to track down every last fahking one of you und rip you apaht. You retahds sink you are ubercool playing your Halo boolsheet Mortal Kombat boolsheet crap fighting games every fahking veekend, so let's see how vell you do against ze only genius in ze whole fahking business. Boll against WrongPlanet. IT'S ON.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH! XD

Aaaaaah.

Anyway. I do feel that video game movies CAN be good if talented writers, directors, actors, etc. with a passion for the source material and a desire to stay FAITHFUL to it. Most video game movies have little to do with the games they're based on, yet don't even make changes that improve on the source material. That was why "Silent Hill" worked overall, even though it definitely had its flaws.

And if nothing else, we'll always have that Jackie Chan Street Fighter scene in "City Hunter":

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA_ATLFxIA4[/youtube]

Hey, it was better and more true to the game than the actual Street Fighter movie!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:11 pm

I actually really liked the Super Mario Bros. movie :oops:

Even though it had hardly anything to do with the games, and some of the editing seemed somewhat rushed. There's just something about it I really like.

THIS AIN'T NO GAME :evil:

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:07 pm

i dunno, personally i find the whole idea of video game movies tricky. video games are supposed to be an interactive experience, with light story so the player can feel more involved. because they have such light story often the filmmakers have to invent story themselves, and usually these creative liberties aren't well received by fans. it's a no win scenario for the filmmaker or the viewer.

plus more recent games, thanks to pre-rendered cutscenes, have become more cinematic in their own right. there's no way you could tell a story like Metal Gear's in a traditional movie theater. and playing the game and being an integral part to the story is part of the experience. making it a movie would take away half of the point in the first place!

i think the game companies making movies themselves is a good idea, like Square making The Spirits Within and Advent Children. but even when the game company makes the movie themselves it seems rather neutered. Spirits Within had NO connection to the games and a bad script so it turned out awful. and while Advent Children had connections to the games, it felt like one of those games that has the cutscenes more badass than the actual gameplay. like somehow you'd be cramping the games style were you to contribute.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net