Page 8 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 1:48 am

A lot of it is mimicry, which is a skill and can be learned like any other. Do it enough, examine it carefully, talk to people who understand and you can probably do pretty well after a while. Eventually a lot of it becomes habit and requires no further thought.

anneurysm wrote:
I have been working at this for almost 10 years of my life...but it has gotten to the point where a lot of my superficial NT like behaviours have become automatic or nearly automatic. I do this less around people who I'm close with, but around people I hardly know or cannot trust, I instinctively seem to put this guard up.

Yeah... this is like me. It's gotten a little out of hand for me now; are you able to stop if you choose? I can't seem to without a lot of conscious effort.

electrictype
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2015, 1:57 pm

Trying to act "normal" has not given a good outcome for me.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 2:06 pm

Seeing as how Asperger's has been recently 'invented', I have been mimicking NT behavior all my life.

rsstot70
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Oct 2015, 4:29 pm

Often, when I have done this (i.e., attempted to act NT), I have received reactions that have been far from supportive (e.g., ridicule, snickering, scowls, etc.). So much for the classic, "when in Rome," concept.

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2015, 9:03 pm

AJisHere wrote:
Yeah... this is like me. It's gotten a little out of hand for me now; are you able to stop if you choose? I can't seem to without a lot of conscious effort.

Pretty much this, I do it subconsciously now, but it's still exhausting. If I consciously decide not to a lot of the traits come flooding back and my brain goes into overdrive (which is actually kind of nice, shame it's tied into that though).

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2015, 9:30 pm

Yes! I was diagnosed at 16, and until then, I had no clue that anything was wrong, just that people got upset at me for reasons I did not know, I got bullied for weird body language/speech etc...

I was admitted to psychiatric hospital at 16 after a mental breakdown. I was given the diagnosis Aspergers Syndrome.

Since then I was in conflict. Some times I overanalyzed myself to hide my quirks. When I became exhausted from that, I just decided to go "all in" and just let 'er rip, just openly stim when feeling for it not giving a second thought as to how people might react.

That was empowering, but I became anxious from all the weird looks I got, and that got to me eventually and I figured out none of the extremes were feasible.

Closing in on 30, in retrospect I can say half my life was lived not knowing I was autistic(just that I was somehow different), and the other half trying to figure out how to deal with it.

I spend a lot of time in solitude, reading, practicing musical instruments, writing, doing creative work. I spend time with my pets, as they don't drain me mentally the same way people do.

Then when the urge to socialize becomes sufficient to leverage me to do something, I seek out company.

I can be sort of bi-polar in that regard. Suddenly I get a spark of energy, and I feel like a superhuman. I can do things that would seem impressive even for NTs. But then one disappointing experience and *zap* goes my energy and I stay in the house for the next two weeks.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 2:47 pm

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername wrote:
AJisHere wrote:

Pretty much this, I do it subconsciously now, but it's still exhausting. If I consciously decide not to a lot of the traits come flooding back and my brain goes into overdrive (which is actually kind of nice, shame it's tied into that though).

It's weird for me. I don't feel drained or tired after a lot of social interaction anymore (I did for the first couple years after I decided to really take it on). My problem is now that I've kind of lost myself in the process of adapting to it and it's hard to figure out what's just me going through motions, and what is actually me. I'll have hours-long conversations with people and then wonder where half of what I said even came from.

Neotenous Nordic wrote:
Yes! I was diagnosed at 16, and until then, I had no clue that anything was wrong, just that people got upset at me for reasons I did not know, I got bullied for weird body language/speech etc...

I was admitted to psychiatric hospital at 16 after a mental breakdown. I was given the diagnosis Aspergers Syndrome.

Since then I was in conflict. Some times I overanalyzed myself to hide my quirks. When I became exhausted from that, I just decided to go "all in" and just let 'er rip, just openly stim when feeling for it not giving a second thought as to how people might react.

That was empowering, but I became anxious from all the weird looks I got, and that got to me eventually and I figured out none of the extremes were feasible.

Closing in on 30, in retrospect I can say half my life was lived not knowing I was autistic(just that I was somehow different), and the other half trying to figure out how to deal with it.

I spend a lot of time in solitude, reading, practicing musical instruments, writing, doing creative work. I spend time with my pets, as they don't drain me mentally the same way people do.

Then when the urge to socialize becomes sufficient to leverage me to do something, I seek out company.

I can be sort of bi-polar in that regard. Suddenly I get a spark of energy, and I feel like a superhuman. I can do things that would seem impressive even for NTs. But then one disappointing experience and *zap* goes my energy and I stay in the house for the next two weeks.

This sounds really familiar. I like a bit of "me time" but I'll get very lonely and upset with too much of it. Also, totally with you on the extremes thing. I've kind of come to the same conclusion. I don't want to just go with what autism pushes me towards; a lot of it gives me small, fleeting comforts but leaves me pretty miserable if I do it too much. But at the same time, acting NT any time I'm interacting with others has left me wondering if anyone I've met in the past few years even knows me, or if they just know a persona I've fabricated. I'm not sure I even know me, now... and that's pretty disturbing.

Ever felt anything like that?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 2:57 pm

I've never deliberately tried it, but if I'm in a place or situation where talking about my special interests a lot might not be a good idea, I suppose that's like being NT. Kind of.

Personally I think it's stupid and that we should all just be ourselves and anyone who won't allow us to be is not worth our time. I know that's a big sappy cliche, but I think we're a lot happier when we're being ourselves.

Except maybe if we have a career in acting, of course. :)

xxIvySkiptonxx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2015, 8:50 pm

yep, duh. it doesn't work :(

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2015, 10:02 pm

AJisHere wrote:
But at the same time, acting NT any time I'm interacting with others has left me wondering if anyone I've met in the past few years even knows me, or if they just know a persona I've fabricated. I'm not sure I even know me, now... and that's pretty disturbing.

Ever felt anything like that?

Get out of my head! :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 10:13 pm

I've always acted like myself. Sometimes, I try to accommodate other people; sometimes, I don't.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 8:11 pm

I always act like myself, because what's the point of wearing a mask and being something that you're not?

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 4:36 pm

Because sometimes I feel like acting like someone I'm not is the only way I'd get any friends... :(

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 6:57 pm

Before I was diagnosed I did, people had expectations of me that I could not forfill, I would be that 'character' but I could not be it for long as it was exhausting and also if I met that person out of the context of where I would usually see them I couldn't become the 'character' and they would ask what was wrong. It didn't provide me with any fulfilment I felt more of a failure.

Meeko_09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2015, 7:41 am

[\quote]
I can be sort of bi-polar in that regard. Suddenly I get a spark of energy, and I feel like a superhuman. I can do things that would seem impressive even for NTs. But then one disappointing experience and *zap* goes my energy and I stay in the house for the next two weeks.[/quote]

I feel like I get ehasuted after pretending to be NT or what I call pretending to be human and then do just this.

It's too much. NTs are strange. It's exhausting.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2016, 10:50 pm

More to add -
I am now doing a speech class at my local high school, during fifth period. I still act NT with everyone in that class, even though my teacher said "this should be a community where you can talk about anything you wish, and do a speech about anything." Problem is, I am not releasing my two special interest topics into a group of 26 NTs...and it has been a little tough trying to come up with topics for my speeches sometimes.
We did an introduction speech...where we had to talk with someone new and ask them 10 questions about themselves. Thankfully the partner didn't ask me about special interests. He did ask me about my favorite music, where I did mention '80s/'90s pop, and smooth jazz. I did feel a little worried after he did my speech...I'm hoping that the NTs don't make fun of me for enjoying "elevator music".

I am still "Acting NT" at lunch with the student council students. I forget talking about special interests, because they will either - not care, call me "weird", or walk away.