Are you able to drive a stick shift in a car?

Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Are you able to drive a stick shift?
Yes 73%  73%  [ 69 ]
No 27%  27%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 95
03 Jun 2008, 12:03 am

I drive a stick shift. Didn't take me long to get used to but I could never use the one in the green truck my family had. I never even tried to learn how. I had no patience.

03 Jun 2008, 12:06 am

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
I'm a klutz too, but I managed to learn.

Hey, I have a question. Those of you who are good on sticks, when you drive automatic, how many feet do you use?

Sometimes I put my foot on the break thinking it's a clutch because I am so used to driving a stick shift now. I do that with my dad's jeep. The slowing down reminds me I am using an automatic, no stick shift. :D

I use one foot.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 1:46 am

My dad tried teaching me on a manual pick-up we had at the time I was 13, but it was too much, after a near miss just backing out of the driveway I wrote off learning stick.

Now that I'm comfortable with the basics of driving I would like to try learning manual again. But with the rising gas/petrol prices I'm wanting an alternative to a gas/petrol fueled car, so may never bother to get to it.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 1:53 am

samantca wrote:
I cant drive at all :?

me neither!! :)

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:51 am

I only know how to drive an auto. Due to laws in Australia, I am only legally allowed to drive one type of transmission of my choosing (an auto) until I am on my unrestricted licence in three years time.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 6:21 am

As of now the answer is no. However due to a combination of a 30 minute commute to college starting in the fall, really high gas prices, and an insanely fuel efficient stickshift that we happen to own (it's on the level of most hybrids but it's not a hybrid at all) I'm going to have to start learning really soon. Possibly today.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 6:36 am

I never tried to use a stickshift. I am too afraid of getting stuck on a hill or some such, or slipping and hurting the clutch.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 8:48 am

I got a little experience with it the fast way--- I helped a friend a few years ago drive his car a couple of towns away while he drove another vehicle there ( we had to get both vehicles to this location). Both were stickshifts. I did stall out a few times, but I made it there--- I think that if I were to have enough practice, I might become good at it. OR I might burn out a clutch. OR both. But I think I could do it again, if needed.

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2008, 8:53 am

"Stick shift"?

What the douche you talking about?

You mean a car with a gearstick?
I've never seen a four-wheeled automobile without one!
I CAN drive them, but I haven't driven for years and don't have a full license. Don't need one in London anyway.

I've heard about those "automatic" cars, but I've never seen one.

Fred54
Raven
Raven

03 Jun 2008, 9:13 am

I doubt this has something to do with AS.
In Europe, AT represent maybe 2% or 3% of cars.
I learnt on a stick as all the people I know.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 12:09 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
I'm a klutz too, but I managed to learn.

Hey, I have a question. Those of you who are good on sticks, when you drive automatic, how many feet do you use?

one.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2008, 1:30 pm

Using the gears is the easy bit, if you're sensitive to touch then you can easily feel when the gears need changing or if your hearing is good, if both then its super easy.
Its all the other things that are hard watching the road and your speed, I couldn't do that.
Hill starts...those are the hardest if you find multi-tasking difficult.
For me reversing was impossible, I could not get my head around left and right.
Judging distances is also a problem for some, including me.
Everyone thinks that gears are going to be hardest but I really don't think it is.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:59 pm

My dad never taught me (he never taught me how to ride a bike either) but I could learn.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:47 pm

Asterisp wrote:
I enjoy driving, more or less. It took a lot of time to learn (45 lessons), but I managed to get a full drivers license; so I can drive using a stick shift. (In the Netherlands you only get a full license if you did the exam in a stick shift car, when you take your exam in an 'automatic' one you get a limited license)

Me too....and guess what? My parents never bought cars that had automatic transmission. They would always buy the ones with the stick shift.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2008, 5:58 pm

Stick shift? I can barely drive a automatic, LOL! I knew a number of people and even relatives who use to drive stick shift. They all loved it and said there were many benefits such as better acceleration and fuel economy. I don't think I can ever learn to drive a vehicle with a stick shift.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 7:34 pm

Yes. I am (reluctantly) driving an automatic now, because manuals are becoming too hard to find and also too expensive to repair. I started out driving a stick because the car I had my heart set on had one, and even though I had no experience driving one, I made myself learn. All my cars since until this last one have been sticks. I am glad that I learned out even though there were a lot of people who predicted my failure when I bought my first car. They said, What if you can't learn? and I said I had a lot of money invested, I had to learn. It was tricky at first, but I actually liked the hand-foot coordination, it gave me something to do. Besides I did not know I was Aspy, so I did not know I was not supposed to be able to do it.

Moral of the story, just because something might be more difficult for some of us because of ASD does not mean it is impossible!