Video games that should not (in your opinion) have succeeded

Page 6 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 12:58 am

Sling wrote:
musicforanna wrote:
I had to endure a big rant this evening from my boyfriend about how dull "Vaan" from FF XII is. :lol:

I don't think I'm going to be playing XII.

Hopefully XIII will be better.

Vaan is a dull lustreless sh** but XII is still a great a game.

FF12 is the only FF game I've played that I've been not able to finish. Even X-2 I finished...

It's mostly to do with the gameplay, moreso than even the characters, (most of which ripped off FF10 characters to varying degrees). But as for the gameplay, it's pure crap. If they wanted the "seamless transition" between combat and traveling so badly, they should have taken notes from Kotor (which actually implemented that years before FF12 was even released). I think FF10 did the best job for any FF game in terms of gameplay (it doesn't use any sort of timer, which actually gives me time to think)

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 8:00 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Sling wrote:
musicforanna wrote:
I had to endure a big rant this evening from my boyfriend about how dull "Vaan" from FF XII is. :lol:

I don't think I'm going to be playing XII.

Hopefully XIII will be better.

Vaan is a dull lustreless sh** but XII is still a great a game.

FF12 is the only FF game I've played that I've been not able to finish. Even X-2 I finished...

It's mostly to do with the gameplay, moreso than even the characters, (most of which ripped off FF10 characters to varying degrees). But as for the gameplay, it's pure crap. If they wanted the "seamless transition" between combat and traveling so badly, they should have taken notes from Kotor (which actually implemented that years before FF12 was even released). I think FF10 did the best job for any FF game in terms of gameplay (it doesn't use any sort of timer, which actually gives me time to think)

I like the gameplay of FF X... I also love how you can switch people in and out of battle. Some of the characters are absolutely stupid though. I absolutely adore VII and VIII, but, ATB (active time battle) did freak me out some, to where I'd have to pause to figure out what the hell I wanted to do next. The characters were very solid though, and I like that.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 8:23 pm

edit: double-post.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 8:29 pm

Runescape. It takes too long to travel places. I think it would be better as a console game.

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

31 Dec 2008, 8:50 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Mischief Makers was a terrible game.

Umm, no it wasn't.
Mischief Makers was fun and challenging, the characters were all likeable in one way or another, the dialogue was humorous, and its gameplay/level design offered something fresh and new to platformers at the time.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 9:01 pm

I can understand the hate on guitar hero/rock band... but its not about trying to make people think theyre musicians, its just a fun game thats coop multiplayer where you get to listen to good music(depending of course, on your definition of good music. But Rock Band has soo much downloadable content, that everyone is bound to find something that appeals to the ears). For the record, I can play guitar and drums at an adequate level. And Rock Band has made my singing better, although thats not saying much... lol. Anyways, I didnt actually read all 9 pages here, but did anyone say WoW? I find that it has the most boring repetitive gameplay of any MORPG(massive aside...). Id much rather play a good MUD like Shattered World. Now THATS good stuff :) Now only if we had as many players as WoW, lol

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 9:10 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Pretty decent game play but, any other guitar players out there will probably share my frustration with kids who play these games and somehow think it makes them a musician.

Welcome to my world, but substitute kids who play Counterstrike or Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon etc thinking they know about guns or how to shoot. Every time I actually hear someone say the word "Deagle" I want to pistol whip them with whatever I happen to be carrying at the time, which in my younger days might actually have been a Desert Eagle.

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

31 Dec 2008, 9:17 pm

Almost everything from the current console generation.

Game developers nowadays have seriously messed up priorities. There is simply far too much focus on graphics and extra features and nowhere near enough focus on the gameplay. And it really shows in the games - most of them have awesome graphics as well as a ton of stuff you can do in them, but the difficulty/level designs/storylines/characters all suck & you can beat most of them in less than a day. The only (somewhat) redeeming qualities I see in most games nowadays are the online multiplayer and other random features that aren't really important anyways.

Also, I have seen more developers copy off one another in the current gen than in any previous gen, and the amount of crappy games I have seen in the current gen is far greater than in any previous gen. There are just waaaaaaay too many games nowadays trying waaaaaaay too f**king hard to be all hardcore/"mature"/bad-ass/ultra-serious/super-duper realistic, and I got tired of that mess real quick.

As I said before, the current generation is nothing but a joke. Maybe when I see some good games coming out, I will reconsider. But for now, f**k the new games - old-school FTW.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 9:46 pm

EnigmaticPhilosophy wrote:
Almost everything from the current console generation.

Game developers nowadays have seriously messed up priorities. There is simply far too much focus on graphics and extra features and nowhere near enough focus on the gameplay. And it really shows in the games - most of them have awesome graphics as well as a ton of stuff you can do in them, but the difficulty/level designs/storylines/characters all suck & you can beat most of them in less than a day. The only (somewhat) redeeming qualities I see in most games nowadays are the online multiplayer and other random features that aren't really important anyways.

Also, I have seen more developers copy off one another in the current gen than in any previous gen, and the amount of crappy games I have seen in the current gen is far greater than in any previous gen. There are just waaaaaaay too many games nowadays trying waaaaaaay too f**king hard to be all hardcore/"mature"/bad-ass/ultra-serious/super-duper realistic, and I got tired of that mess real quick.

As I said before, the current generation is nothing but a joke. Maybe when I see some good games coming out, I will reconsider. But for now, f**k the new games - old-school FTW.

I mostly agree. I probalby play more text based games then graphical. Roguelikes and MUDs anyone? lol

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 2:35 pm

EnigmaticPhilosophy wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Mischief Makers was a terrible game.

Umm, no it wasn't.
Mischief Makers was fun and challenging, the characters were all likeable in one way or another, the dialogue was humorous, and its gameplay/level design offered something fresh and new to platformers at the time.

Yeah, I have fond memories of it as a child. Never beat it though. It was very unique.

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2009, 12:53 pm

NarfMann wrote:
World of Warcraft.

I honestly don't understand why so many people love it. It's cartoony (which I admit has its appeal) and boring. Leveling is just too much of a grind for me to stomach, and I hear that the grind just gets worse at max level, and this is coming from an aspie who thrives on repetition.

I like the exploring in the game I just hate the fact that after purchasing the game I have to pay a $15 monthly subscription fee.

The series I don't get that succeeded is the Grand Theft Auto games. Sure you can get away with a lot of things you can't in real life but I hate all of the violence and language.

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 10:16 pm

DragonKazooie89 wrote:
NarfMann wrote:
World of Warcraft.

I honestly don't understand why so many people love it. It's cartoony (which I admit has its appeal) and boring. Leveling is just too much of a grind for me to stomach, and I hear that the grind just gets worse at max level, and this is coming from an aspie who thrives on repetition.

I like the exploring in the game I just hate the fact that after purchasing the game I have to pay a $15 monthly subscription feel.

I was listening to an LBC (a london radio station) Podcast, and there were having a conversation about WoW. One girl called in and she had her HSE (or something like that) in a couple of months, but she wasn't studying because she was more interested in leveling up her characters.

Another woman called in whose relationship broke down because of the game. She was always on it and never paid attention to her husband.

WoW is scary 8O

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 12:28 am

All PC ports of console games with stupid control setups.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 1:06 am

I think any games that have succeeded likely did so due to the hard work of designers, programmers, etc. etc.

So really, I don't think it's fair to say that a game "shouldn't have succeeded".

Games don't succeed or fail by accident. Sure there are some games I don't personally like but I can still understand and appreciate why they are successful.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2009, 6:09 pm

Quote:
I think any games that have succeeded likely did so due to the hard work of designers, programmers, etc. etc.

I disagree. Some concepts appeal to people as more interesting than others do. Designers don't always have to do a lot of work.

Take a look at Oblivion and Fallout 3. Crappy control setup, which should be a very very big deal with people, but those games are still popular. Bad design, poor programming on their part, to disallow customization of controls. Many games allow you to use presets, but these don't even really have that (I can't change to southpaw).

Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 were both popular. D1 was buggy. Easily hacked, easy to duplicate bugs, and obvious balance problems between classes. D2 is buggy, flooded with duped items (still), used to have years of collision bugs, several known quirks throughout its lifetime that could cause crashes or the loss of all items, no real PvP support (no balanced design for it, but some people think it's the best), broken direct 3d video mode (it can lag even even some of the best computers). Two games that had broken design AND programming, yet they were very popular. D2 is still popular, and now D3 is on its way.

It's peoples acceptance more than anything, and many people are becoming okay with garbage.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 7:31 pm

Everything on the original playstation.

Fanboy fight time! :twisted: