Video games that should not (in your opinion) have succeeded

Page 1 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 6:20 pm

^^^ in the title Name yours :P

For me, I can't understand how games like CNC3 (Great graphics, crap gameplay) succeed when their gameplay is such _crap_

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 7:07 pm

I don't get the appeal of first-person shooters. From Doom to Halo 3, I just don't get it. It's nothing at all like shooting a real gun. I grew up on a farm and learned how to use a .22, and could shoot a bullet through the neck of a bowling pin from 100 yards, but yet I can't shoot a damn thing in a FPS. Making Shadowrun into a FPS really pissed me off too, I loved it as an action RPG.

I actually don't play a whole lot of games though, so maybe I'm not the best one to judge what is really good or bad. I play maybe 3 games a year, but I play them til my eyes bleed. I never did learn moderation.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 7:35 pm

Kingdom Hearts. I really don't see what's so great about it.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 7:46 pm

The sims.

Their succeed ruined Sim City for me.

joker89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jun 2008, 7:53 pm

Hmm I'd say... Guitar Hero. =) Interesting concept, but the gameplay could be so much more interesting. Seriously, what is the point of buying new guitars and such, it's just pointless. They need add an incentive to beat the songs, not just the incentive of unlocking more songs...

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 8:25 pm

Guitar hero...I tried Rock Band, and I could only play the most difficult stuff on the drums (I actually have a drum set)...so I had to unlearn a lot of stuff...;)

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 8:46 pm

Halo.

The levels repeated over and over.

It did nothing new.

The story wasn't really that good.

Cortana was annoying as hell.

The little enemies were also annoying.

IMO, it only succeeded at all because it was the first half-decent FPS on a console.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 11:18 pm

Mage wrote:
I don't get the appeal of first-person shooters. From Doom to Halo 3, I just don't get it.

Of course you don't... you're not a guy. But gender stereotypes (?) aside, the reason why FPS is my favorite game genre is because it has just the right balance of immersion, action, strategy, and fun. It's also a good way to let off steam. I could go into more detail, but this isn't the right thread for that.

Anyway, the games I wish hadn't been successful are Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament, because they started a tradition of "multi-player only" FPS games. I only play in single-player mode, and I prefer the ones which have some kind of story.

Last edited by Cyberman on 02 Jun 2008, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 11:19 pm

Yeah I realy dont think that guitau hero should be as popular as it is.
Now since the Halo series is a obbsesion of mine I feel I have an obligation to protect it, the game pits peoples stratagies, reactions, teamwork and a bit of psycholgical warfare. I have read a lot of the novels and it has a wonderful backstory, cortana was meant to give a narative of the game, and appeals to teenage boys. Now many people belive there is a reason people say it lived up to its name Halo:combat evolved, for one it only alows 2 weapons to hold so there is a stratagy in it. Many other games have supposed to have copied from halo, such as the AI and the control format which has been copied by other games, such as right trigger shoot and left trigger grenade or with halo 2 and threeleft hand weapon. Also the enemy diversity in the game is great from the humorous grunt which will scatter if its leader is killed, to the flood who if you shoot certain areas the limbs can fall off, oh and the music was ausome and in halo 2-3 you could board enemy vehicles. Now I think I should stop befor I fill an intire page.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 11:22 pm

I also wish deadrising was not succesful as it freaks me out and myfriend gives me a hard time that I dont have as much achievments as him.

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

03 Jun 2008, 4:17 am

That the FIFA series can even exist alongside the Pro Evo/Winning Eleven series, never mind outsell it, pisses me off so much! :(

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:22 am

IdahoRose wrote:
Kingdom Hearts. I really don't see what's so great about it.

I find the idea of merging Final Fantasy and Disney into one game rather lacking creativity and money-orientated on part of the makers. To me it's like mixing pizza with ice-cream, both are good, but together, just no. Seems to me that is was a cheap shot tactic to generate popularity on the market, and I guess it worked.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:43 am

Mischief Makers was a terrible game.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:36 am

I think Guitar Hero 4 looks interesting.

I don't think Brain Training should still be in the charts today. IT'S TWO YEARS OLD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 7:47 am

a lot of EA stuff.
they have the hype whether the game is any good or not,or very little update from the last.

Quote:
Of course you don't... you're not a guy.

not long ago,gaming was always designed for males,so if there's anything thats supposed to be especially for males in games,it wont stop females from playing it,is something female gamers would be used to.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 9:20 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
The sims.

Their succeed ruined Sim City for me.

right on.

Also "Rollercoaster Tycoon 3" destroyed the series for me. 3D? seriously? The thing I liked about it was the "god"-viewpoint (which "SimCity" and almost every other SimTycoon game has).

And if you remember your gaming history well, the awful "Pac Man" for the Atari 2600 sold in the millions. It was also a dreadful waste of time.