Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

03 Jun 2008, 12:56 pm

I get annoyed by little things like my boyfriend keeps calling our bathroom 'the restroom.'
What the heck? We only call bathrooms that in public places like stores, shopping centers, buildings but not in houses or apartments. I get sooo annoyed by this when he does it.

I also get annoyed when people spell Benny & Joon wrong. Damn it it's 'Joon' not June. Look at the title.

And people mistake the diner scene was filmed in the Milk Bottle restaurant instead of in the building next door. Damn it, don't those B&J viewers notice those two buildings are separate in the movie. Benny pulls in the back of the diner and you can tell those two buildings are separate. Look. Even some Spokaners make that error.

Is this something I should be annoyed over or something I need to change by not getting annoyed over trivia stuff?

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2008, 1:00 pm

I only call my bathroom a bathroom when I'm going to actually take a shower/bath. :D

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 1:04 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I get annoyed by little things like my boyfriend keeps calling our bathroom 'the restroom.'
What the heck? We only call bathrooms that in public places like stores, shopping centers, buildings but not in houses or apartments. I get sooo annoyed by this when he does it.

I also get annoyed when people spell Benny & Joon wrong. Damn it it's 'Joon' not June. Look at the title.

And people mistake the diner scene was filmed in the Milk Bottle restaurant instead of in the building next door. Damn it, don't those B&J viewers notice those two buildings are separate in the movie. Benny pulls in the back of the diner and you can tell those two buildings are separate. Look. Even some Spokaners make that error.

Is this something I should be annoyed over or something I need to change by not getting annoyed over trivia stuff?

I call my bathroom the Library, the restroom is where you put the bed

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 1:13 pm

I suppose calling it the pisser or the sh**er would be inappropriate as well. :lol: How about the John?

8th Cmdmt: Thou Shalt Not Steal.

webwalker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2008, 1:21 pm

Spudnik,

I guess it depends on how much you want to keep your boyfriend. :roll:

Because something is important to you doesn't make it important to everyone else. So practice not caring when others don't share your priorities: you've got about 6.5 billion of us to share the planet with who won't lose any sleep about whether there is one building or two in B&J.

Think of a time when someone when crabby on you about something that no one but them thought was important. That's how it feels to other people.

My rule of thumb for deciding whether or not to be annoyed over someone not sharing my priorities is as follows: "Who will be harmed by this error? Will anyone be endangered or injured if I don't correct this?"

That simple rule has kept me out of a lot of trouble. Unfortunately, I didn't learn it until I was in my 30s, so I (verbally) kicked a lot of shins until I learned it. No wonder I had trouble keeping friends.

M

03 Jun 2008, 1:22 pm

In the USA we call the toilets the restroom. In Canada it's Washroom. In the UK I noticed they're called toilets. Watercloset, it's a bathroom built in a closet so no wonder they call it that.

In our own home we call them a 'bathroom.' It's where the shower is and the tub so that's probably why. The john, some people call. They mean toilet. You know what we call when there is only a sink and toilet, 'powder room.' But people still say 'bathroom' when they need to use the toilet.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 03 Jun 2008, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2008, 1:55 pm

Yes I do.

My mum asked me if I wanted to go to the powder room the other day and I told her I didn't have any powder. Everyone laughed me. I wasn't telling a joke :roll:
Why do we need so many words for a simple thing? It's confusing.

I get annoyed by all sorts of small things, the only one I can think of at the moment is people saying 'hay-ch' instead of 'ay-ch' for the letter H.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:39 pm

I get really annoyed by factual inaccuracies in music journalism. It's bad enough when, in casual conversation, someone defends a factual error pertaining to music, but I can take that in stride.

People who write about music for a living or otherwise claim to be some kind of authority on the subject should have higher standards. You see, there's this thing called "fact checking" . . . .

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:41 pm

When people spell meerkat with a c instead of a kat or ask if they are some kind of feline. Go look at a damb nature book!

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 2:42 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
I get really annoyed by factual inaccuracies in music journalism. It's bad enough when, in casual conversation, someone defends a factual error pertaining to music, but I can take that in stride.

People who write about music for a living or otherwise claim to be some kind of authority on the subject should have higher standards. You see, there's this thing called "fact checking" . . . .

Agreed. Unfortunately, sloppy fact checking isn't just limited to music journalism. It seems to be across the board these days, at least in the mainstream media.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2008, 2:49 pm

Spelling mistakes in books :roll:

webwalker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2008, 2:58 pm

Craola,

Its all about context. Do you know why a powder room is called that?

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:12 pm

LoveableNerd wrote:
EvilKimEvil wrote:

Agreed. Unfortunately, sloppy fact checking isn't just limited to music journalism. It seems to be across the board these days, at least in the mainstream media.

I know! Ten years ago, I had friends who were entering the field of journalism. Editing and fact checking were highly emphasized. One friend did an internship in which she did nothing but fact-check for something like 20 hours per week. And this was for a small "alternative" paper that was published weekly.

I guess they decided that editing and fact checking just aren't necessary anymore. Maybe it's because the rise in Internet use has had a detrimental impact on their profits, while simultaneously lowering standards of accepted quality through things like blogs and forums. It's as though the current standard in journalism is just to sound slightly more professional than the average forum post or blog entry. And that includes accuracy of information.

OK, I'll stop ranting now. :?

KatieRose212
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jun 2008, 3:13 pm

I guess I do.

I get annoyed when people are talking to me and they go out to smoke a cigarette, in the middle of the conversation!

It's not that I don't want them to smoke or anything, it's just SO DAMN RUDE!

:evil:

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 3:33 pm

KatieRose212 wrote:
I guess I do.

I get annoyed when people are talking to me and they go out to smoke a cigarette, in the middle of the conversation!

Following them outside when they did this, in order to continue the conversation, is how I got started smoking. :ncool:

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:42 pm

LoveableNerd wrote:
KatieRose212 wrote:
I guess I do.

Following them outside when they did this, in order to continue the conversation, is how I got started smoking. :ncool:

Oh yeah, that was how I got started too - over 10 years ago. Fortunately, I had no trouble quitting a few years later.

I don't get annoyed by this habit of smokers because I understand why they do this, having been a smoker myself.

What does annoy me is when people answer their cell phone while I'm hanging out with them and then proceed to talk to the caller at length and it's obvious that it's not an urgent or important type of call.

If your cell phone rings while you're socializing, you should only answer it if the # (caller ID) indicates that it might be very important or urgent. If you answer and are mistaken, simply say, "I'm busy right now. I'll call you back later, when I have time to talk." If it is an important call, try to give your friend(s) some indication of this, and step outside or into another room so you can address this urgent matter with some privacy and without involving your friend(s) in it.

I wish everyone understood such a basic, common courtesy.