Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2008, 3:43 pm

craola wrote:
Spelling mistakes in books :roll:

How about GRAMMATICAL mistakes in books? Those really drive me batty.

03 Jun 2008, 3:50 pm

I get annoyed when I misspell words when I type and don't even see them till after I make the post. Makes me feel stupid, argh. That's why I use spell check. Without one available, I'm screwed.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 03 Jun 2008, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drybones
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 5:26 pm

Yes

craola wrote:

and newspapers too!

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 10:32 pm

drybones wrote:
Yes

craola wrote:

and newspapers too!

As a graphic designer who started out as a proofreader and typesetter, I totally agree. I've had two ads that I typeset end up on the Jay Leno 'Headlines' segment. The publisher didn't laugh though. I was written up for the 2nd one. That one was an ad I built for a mobile home manufacturer. It featured a 'giant, walk-in panty.' Even though I find some typos hilarious, I do hate to find them in my own writing, whether on the job or online. In published books, the errors are even worse because when I find them it bugs me the rest of the way through the story (I'm constantly looking for more).

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 12:37 am

Yes I do.
I mainly laugh at it. One of my co workers can't spell ketchup.

04 Jun 2008, 12:43 am

I find it more tolerable when foreign people misspell words words because English isn't their primary language. So of course they won't know how to spell simple words and they might even have troubles spelling long words. Our alphabet is different than theirs and our sound of letters.

BitsandWires
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2008, 5:28 am

Don't forget lavatory. I think we need a new and more descriptive name.

I'm open to suggestions and hope we can all agree on something. Who knows, it may even catch on. Maybe we'll see a Fox newscast that pronounces "the mentally handicapped at WP changed the world today, bathroom facilities are now known as _______"

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2008, 8:19 am

Most of my annoyances relate to gamings...

For instance, when I'm 100% certain I pressed a button and the game doesn't acknowledge it.... or indeed if I've done anything a certain way and the result is different, I will tend to very vocally accuse the game of being wrong or cheating and tell it to get it right.
I don't do it if I just plain suck at a game... but if I input a command, I expect it to work PRECISELY, or I start blaming the game for it.

But what infuriates me even more is if I'm in an MMORPG... teamed with other people.... and one or more of them decides to go AFK or log off for something trivial. Teaming up with other people in this way is like signing a contract for me... that I will dedicate my all to helping the team succeed until the task is complete.
And yet I'll get people remarking "the phone is ringing" and then going off IN THE MIDDLE OF COMBAT to have a half-hour phone conversation with their mother while leaving the rest of us waiting. Another favourite one is "getting something to eat" .... and there I am thinking they should have ate BEFORE teaming up with us, or at least could wait until after the task was complete. They just don't care though. They'll leave the rest of the team hanging on some stupid AFK affair.
Heck.... one time I got so outraged at a guy going AFK three times in one session that I told him: "I don't care if your wife is giving birth and your mother dying at the same time! You are NOT to leave your computer for so much as a crap UNTIL WE ARE DONE!" .... and then several people called me an a***hole and everyone else left one by one. I was SO freaking livid.

I mean that is why I prefer to solo everything if I can. Other people are far too unreliable.

04 Jun 2008, 9:54 pm

I just had my boyfriend listened to the song 'Spokane' and he told me what the song was really about. They were saying it was an awful city. Grrr. I get so annoyed when people insult the city.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2008, 3:59 am

I felt annoyed yesterday by a packet of fudge having the name 'Fudgy wudgy'.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 4:49 pm

When I think about it, most stuff I or anyone else gets annoyed over is usually not that big of a deal. Like for some reason a number of people act like saying the word "veggies" instead of "vegetables" should grant a warrant for your arrest. Also, it bugs me when people say "AWHN-velope" instead of "EHN-velope". My mother pronounces it awhn-velope. She also has said HIGH-sterical instead of HIS-sterical, which has made me feel like "Gah! My parents sound like hillbillies!" Also my parents have for years said a "bun of bread" instead of a loaf of bread, and to me a bun is like a very small version of a loaf. They also still say "a quart of milk" instead of "a liter" even though we've been using the metric system for years. I remember as a kid being confused when my mom asked me to go into a store to buy a quart of milk when it was sold in liters and being confused by all the differences. I learned not that long ago that a quart is really a quarter of a gallon! :oops:
I used to have a friend as a kid, who instead of asking "Why?" she would ask "How?" For example she'd ask, "Are you coming out to play?" and if I said no, she'd ask, "How?". Both the way she'd ask combined with her extreme lack of understanding that I didn't want to go outside because I just didn't feel like it was pretty annoying.

But IDK, lots of people have different accents and dialects, so unless it's completely unintelligible isn't it "wrong' to get annoyed?

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 4:56 pm

I get annoyed by "silly" things all the time. It's generally because I'm physically or mentally overwhelmed.

cheryll

20 Aug 2015, 3:59 am

It annoys me when people talk too much. Sometimes I have to leave the room because I find it so unbearable. Maybe that's not a silly thing to get annoyed at though?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 9:09 am

Most people have little things what annoy them. I used to know this NT guy who was into cycling, but hated people calling bikes "cycles". Every time someone did, he just had to correct them, even if they thought he was weird.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 9:15 am

I think this is what would annoy most people, but I get completely enraged by this, and that is when I get disbelieved or accused. I know people make mistakes and haven't accused me on purpose but it still makes me cry with fury.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2015, 9:25 am

I get annoyed when my mom is talking of the phone.