Skee Lo (I may have spelled this wrong)
Bone thugs N harmony
TLC
Dr Dre
Atlantis Morresset
Smashing Pumkins
Bush
Nirvana

Jeeze... I know its such a strange mix of music, I was grounded alot during those years, I had very strict parents who sometimes it felt like they were trying to punish the autism from me, didnt work... but so instead of being outside I would be grounded and watch alot of MTV, turns out now I look back and am very happy during those years of being grounded alot watching MTV. Thats only a fraction of the list, its been a while and I would have to dig thru my old CD's and cassetts to see all the other stuff I completly missed.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 7:52 am

I personally listened to Boston and the Doobie Bros. (yes, I'm old) --

My son listened to:

the Dropkick Murphy's
The Living End
any ska band

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 8:52 am

Up until i was nine or ten (maybe as late as eleven, maybe), I listen to the Top 40 station here in Rhode Island. The only songs I really liked were those by alternative rock bands, until I released there was a radio station (WBRU) that only played those bands and none of the terrible pop acts I dispised. And i've listened to WBRU ever since and couldn't be happier (they play hip-hop on Sundays, so I change my radio to the NPR affiliate on Sundays)

Among the bands I liked as a kid:
Weezer
Oasis
Semisonic
Smashing Pumpkins
Barenaked Ladies
The Cure (Now my #2 favorite band behind Pink Floyd)
Foo Fighters

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 9:15 am

Led Zeppelin
The Doors
Jimi Hendrix
The Beatles
The Velvet Underground
Nazareth
Johnny Cash
Stompin' Tom Connors

AS4Life
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2008, 9:37 am

Well growing up through my childhood years we primarily had the oldies station on so 50's and 60's rock.

Then there were the groups we had on Vynal records and audio tapes of(wobbles his cane "back in MY day...").
They included:

Paul Simon
Simon and Garfunckle
James Tailor
Maxim le Forestie
Dorathie, and others (from Club Dorathie, preforming theme songs for cartoons)

In High School my sister went all into country music so i had to listen to that for a bit before discovering top 40 music and my guilty pleasure the Spice Girls.

Now i have a diverse taste in music ranging from folk to dance.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 10:29 am

before sixteen,the prodigy and the fugees were the main ones,am constantly had experience [the prodigy] and the score [the fugees] on repeat.
am had found both of these in sisters room,and took them,and she eventually made am copies of them so she could have hers back [they were tapes].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 2:00 pm

During my early years, I only had access to 2 tapes that were not folk, jazz, or classical. From the start, I disliked those genres and only liked one tape my parents had: "Hits of the 50's". My mom also loved the Beach Boys so I spent most of my first 10 years of life listening to "Endless Summer" (Beach Boys' greatest hits comp) and that 1950's pop tape. My first favorite song as a child was "Rockin Robbin". I used to get really creeped out by Brian Wilson's high-pitched voice - I thought it sounded like an effeminate ghost. Now I like the Beach Boys and am fascinated by Brian Wilson's strange ways.

When I was old enough to finally be allowed to own a radio and select some of my own music, I listened to the hard rock station and the classic rock station all the time. I remember I liked Led Zeppelin, Guns N Roses, The Doors, Ween, Bob Dylan, Motley Crue, Dead Milkmen . . . .

Then radio went way downhill and my parents got stricter about forbidding access to rock music. Fortunately, I discovered Cowboy Junkies, Vic Chesnutt, and Townes Van Zandt. Those were serious obsessions from my teenage years on (and still are).

When I moved away from home, at 17, I finally got to explore the big world of rock and roll with complete freedom. If I recall correctly, my first love was The Velvet Underground. Then The Ramones, and then The Cramps. I still love these bands and have basically the same taste - just a lot more knowledge.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 7:34 pm

I listened to everything from Andrew Lloyd Webber (Evita, Cats) to the Beatles to 1980s pop music.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 8:56 pm

I didn't get into music until a few years ago, so I grew up on music I hated and didn't want to listen to, but couldn't avoid.

XD

watcheroftheskies
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jun 2008, 1:03 am

pink floyd
pink floyd
pink floyd
pink floyd

and a bunch of other stuff

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 8:58 am

watcheroftheskies wrote:
pink floyd
pink floyd
pink floyd
pink floyd

and a bunch of other stuff

sadly I didn't get into Floyd til I was 12. Since then they've been my #1 favorite band (that's why The Cure is #2).

How big of a Floyd fan am I?
I have Pink Floyd towels

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2008, 1:37 pm

Well my parents arent big music listeners. But what they had stuck with me.

Eagles - Desperado
Simon and Garfunkel.

When i got to my early teens, thats when i got into music and it was mostly britpop stuff.

Oasis
Blur
Suede
Manics
Nirvana

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 3:44 pm

Music from my parents:

Robert Long (Dutch singer)
The Beatles
Rolling Stones
ABBA
and very messy Dutch language schlagers :?

Music I liked myself during youth (late childhood - late teens):

Army of Lovers
Erasure
Ace of Base

While the latter three I can still enjoy a lot because of memories attached, I don't really own any of their records anymore (well, I got an AoB record but it is somewhere in my parents' basement 1000 km of where I live now)

I must say that since reaching adulthood I very drastically strayed away from the music I grew up with.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2008, 4:50 pm

Kid: The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Ramones
Preteen: nu-metal
13: Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Rancid, Mudhoney, Suicidal Tendencies, Dead Milkmen etc
14: The Residents, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sonic Youth, Raveonettes, Suicide, Beat Happening
15: Kayo Dot, Current 93, Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky, Einstürzende Neubauten, Captain Beefheart, Can, This Heat, Melt-Banana, mewithoutYou, The Fall, György Ligeti
16: Arvo Pärt, Chico Buarque, Time of Orchids, A Tribe Called Quest, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Infidel?/Castro!, UndaCova, Johannes Brahms, My Bloody Valentine

I've stuck to most things from the age of late 14 to date.