when your child gets suspended for threatening another child

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 7:50 am

But if people are doing annoying things they need to be told. Then they can't make so many excuses if they keep on doing it even after they were informed their behaviour was bothering somebody. Telling others you were annoyed helps but you also need to attack the problem at its source.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 12:37 pm

Pandora, I agree. But now, we have one day left of school, and next year, he won't be in this class. I can prep him for what happens NEXT time somebody annoys him -- but my problem is, do I have to do this on a daily basis everyday before he goes to school? I can guarantee that I'm going to forget, when we go six months without any problem like this.

I can see it now --

"Ok, son, today, if someone annoys you, try to ignore it, but if that doesn't work, go talk to the teacher about it."

on a daily basis.

This is where I'm the failure. I can't possibly remember all of the little things that "might" go wrong in his day, especially when they don't occur every day. And even if I did, is he going to remember what to do when he's under pressure? Probably not.

On the other hand, over time, if I (and the school personnel) can be patient enough, he will eventually evolve, and learn how to handle this as his maturity level increases.

As a side note -- I was having lunch with some NT friends of mine, and talking about my son's situation, and we all said "if this had happened when we were kids, nobody would have even blinked. Nowadays the schools make such a big deal about this sort of thing." I understand WHY the school has to make a big deal, but it still makes me shake my head that things have gotten so crazy in our society that we have to regulate all behavior in our children -- one is suspended if one says something out of impulse, every kid gets a trophy in competitions, for safety's sake there is very little playground equipment at our elementary school, etc. It's just weird.

rottenlittleboys
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2008, 12:43 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:
I understand WHY the school has to make a big deal, but it still makes me shake my head that things have gotten so crazy in our society that we have to regulate all behavior in our children -- one is suspended if one says something out of impulse, every kid gets a trophy in competitions, for safety's sake there is very little playground equipment at our elementary school, etc. It's just weird.

It makes me wonder just how far to the other side things will swing and just how many people will fall through the cracks. :cry:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 4:22 pm

Pandora wrote:
But if people are doing annoying things they need to be told. Then they can't make so many excuses if they keep on doing it even after they were informed their behaviour was bothering somebody. Telling others you were annoyed helps but you also need to attack the problem at its source.

I guess my question becomes, where is the line? They have a right to act in the way they need to, and you have a right to peace. The general standard I believe is the "reasonable man" one, as in what would annoy MOST people, not just the one specific person. Those of us who have children who get annoyed by normal everyday things can't really tell our kids to run around asking everyone else to change; it's more a matter of learning when to do just that, and when to mitigate the situation in another way. Lol, OK, I think I'm rambling, but the question is ... is the behavior something that is GENERALLY unacceptable, or just unacceptable to YOU? In the former, you may tactfully inform the ofender. In the later, society generally expects you to keep your mouth shut and cope. Yes, things are different for special needs kids, and they can ask a teacher or other adult to help them solve it, but there still is a line there, and they harm themselves in the long run if they just start telling other kids what not to do.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 5:38 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:
So, today, on the last week of school, I get a call from the assistant principal telling me that my son has threatened a child in his class. Talk about a horrible phone call! The assistant principle is really a great gal, and we have a good relationship. I feel like she understands my son.

This is SO confusing. He is a nice, even-tempered kid at home. He's very non-aggressive. But he's in this English class with five other kids who need "extra" help in Enlish. Two kids are boys who, according to my son, are constantly making noises, fighting with the teacher, etc. Two are girls that my son has been in school with since preschool, and they've been very good friends. But lately they are also fighting with and being disrespectful to the teacher, and this annoys my son. There's only one other student in the class who is nice and quiet.

There is NO excuse for what my son did, but as he tells it, there was a sub for the class today, so there was less structure than usual (and there's not much even when the teacher is there), and his two friends were making weird noises and being annoying. Certainly didn't sound like they were being outrageous, so I really don't understand why my son said what he did. He has made another bad comment during this class (said that he wished the school would blow up) that I was also called about, but then, we were changing around his meds and he was somewhat depressed. This time, I don't have that excuse for his behavior. I have no idea what to do for him to make sure that he doesn't do this again. I just think it's interesting that it always seems to happen in this class, and he's fine in all the other classes. Also, on the plus side, he won't be in this class next year -- he will be attending the regular ed English class.

Any insight from other parents who may have been through something similar would be greatly appreciated.

I find these situations confusing myself. It sounds like you are handling it right, however. It seems to me that it has to be worked from two directions: a strong consequence, so that our children understand that the world does hold them accountable for their behavior, and a lot of talking to help figure out how to avoid the sorts of situations that lead to these problems. I think it's important for our children to also understand that the world has no interest in stressing them out, but no one can help prevent that without input and feedback and help from them.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:33 am

DW_a_mom, you are so right about this. If the AS child continually asks a teacher to stop certain behaviors in the class (and it is unreasonable to do so), it will just cause further social problems for the AS child.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:17 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pandora wrote:

I guess my question becomes, where is the line? They have a right to act in the way they need to, and you have a right to peace. The general standard I believe is the "reasonable man" one, as in what would annoy MOST people, not just the one specific person. Those of us who have children who get annoyed by normal everyday things can't really tell our kids to run around asking everyone else to change; it's more a matter of learning when to do just that, and when to mitigate the situation in another way.

Lol, OK, I think I'm rambling, but the question is ... is the behavior something that is GENERALLY unacceptable, or just unacceptable to YOU? In the former, you may tactfully inform the ofender. In the later, society generally expects you to keep your mouth shut and cope. Yes, things are different for special needs kids, and they can ask a teacher or other adult to help them solve it, but there still is a line there, and they harm themselves in the long run if they just start telling other kids what not to do.
Not necessarily so. Anybody has the right to tell anybody else that their behaviour is annoying them. Of course, if the request is totally unreasonable, they're not likely to get too far.

Given the potential for small repeated irritations to add up over time and result in a massive explosion at some stage, I don't think it is at all unreasonable for the teacher to ask the other kids to speak quietly and take turns. When I went to school, we jolly well had to keep quiet unless and until we were called on by the teacher. It wouldn't hurt to bring that kind of thing back now.

There is too much disrespect and bad behaviour in classrooms and it often seems to me that is why our society is getting so bad and manners are forgotten.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:21 am

The_Chosen_One wrote:
There is too much disrespect and bad behaviour in classrooms and it often seems to me that is why our society is getting so bad and manners are forgotten.

totally agree.

I would go further, if others are deliberately winding him up, its harassment and a form of bullying. Being encouraged to accept it is sending a message to accept bullying and be a victim.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:55 am

Thanks Bazza, exactly the message I was getting across. Going with the flow is okay in some instances but not when other kids are deliberately winding up another child. We have a right to be able to feel comfortable in our own space without people who have been told their behaviour is annoying continually doing the same with no consideration.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 12:40 pm

Agreed that there are also lines and issues coming from the other direction. It is inappropriate for other kids to do behaviors simply because they know it bugs someone else, and many classrooms could use a lot more order, period.

My point was that there always needs to be a lot of thought going into where these lines sit. Knowing that does not come naturally to our kids at all, understanding all angles / working them through is really important. For example, my son got mad one year at his neighbors in the classroom because they were no longer allowing him to overflow onto their desks. In his mind, they were wrong. But they really were not. They were exercising their rights, and he simply could not see it. So, it needs to get talked through.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:24 pm

These kids usually aren't deliberately winding him up -- especially the two sisters who he threatened, who have historically been good friends to him.

He apologized to the girls, and they graciously accepted his apology. Also, the Asst. principal somehow "forgot" to give him suspension. She may give it to him today, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if she "forgets" to give it to him today as well, as it is the last day of school, and I think that the asst. principal is sympathetic.

DW_a_Mom is right again, in that there is such a problem with teaching a child where the line should be drawn in these situations. I am continually trying to teach my son to stand up for himself when his sister tries to take advantage of him (asking him to get her a drink too much, asking him to do her work, etc.). I tell him he doesn't have to do that, he is being taken advantage of, and after about four years, he is just now "getting it." It's the perfect training situation for him. But that really fuzzy line, at school, where you don't know the whole situation, and you don't know if my son is making a mountain out of a molehill because somebody laughed in a weird way and he's tired, and he just doesn't like hearing that sound at that particular moment -- or if he's being taunted or annoyed purposely and he is entitled to get the teacher involved to make the annoyance stop -- man, that's hard. You never get the full story, from the teacher, or the asst. principal, and LEAST of all from my son, who can't always tell me what happened in exactly the way it happened. It's a confusing situation for EVERYONE.

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:18 pm

My son said so many outrageous things at school, but language never meant much to him. My son was suspended a few times for the things he said. I'm not concerned about it at all though. He's growing out of it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:13 pm

schleppenheimer,

I guess I should put my 2 cents in. I'll try and assume everyone is telling the truth. Your boy's demeaner sounds a bit like mine, so MAYBE I can clear something up.

MAYBE he is being talked down to a bit, and not given enough challenge, and the other students pushed him to the brink. When the sub came, the others acted even WORSE, and he just got FED UP!

I can SERIOUSLY imagine that. Ask ANYONE that ever knew me, and they will tell you I NEVER EVEN SWEAR!! !! Most swear I never drink alcohol or coffee. I was in a highschool class onetime, and got everyone to SHUTUP by quietly saying ONE word! SHOOT! THEY thought the vowels were something different, and couldn't believe I said that. It was just my way of saying DARN! STILL, I could see me blowing up like your son.

In fact, I once did it with a kid in Junior high! He was part of a gang of three that, the day after ganging up on me and bashing my head into a locker, started harassing me. I said "DO YOU WANT ME TO KILL YOU!?!?"! I never told anyone that, but I did say that. I was just trying to get to class and was, as I always had been, minding my own business. I'm sure that, today, if anyone heard a child say that the child would be suspended or worse.

But you weren't there. I was almost unconcious, tired, and bruised, and had to go home the day of the locker incident. To this day, my mother says she wishes she had pursued it. It is ironic and IDIOTIC that an institution CLAIMING to try to develop the brain virtually SANCTIONS such garbage that threatens to wipe out any ability for it to develop.

BTW I think it STINKS! If I am HOME SICK, even feeling near death and vomiting blood, etc.... People will call with questions because the work HAS to get done. To tell you the truth, they are all arbitrary deadlines, but they still do.

YET, a "teacher" will often not even truly PRETEND to follow a lesson plan. Subs are SUPPOSED to be a substitute, and NOT a pacifier. They often know LESS about what they are doing, and kids act up. In the US, there is a late night cartoon called "king of the hill" ( http://www.fox.com/kingofthehill/ )

The dumbest one of the hill family has GOT to be peggy hill. She thinks she is the brightest, and fancies herself a great spanish speaker, but she doesn't know how to pronounce ANYTHING, and makes lots of other blunders, and struggles! Compared to her, I must be more fluent in Spanish than I am in English!(I actually struggle with Spanish, but CAN pronounce things fine and have a decent vocabulary, etc...) Her job? Substitute Spanish "teacher"! Of course, that isn't her only failing, but it fits here and is made very obvious in many episodes. At least the other people in the family know they aren't that great.

BTW, for the feminists out there. A LOT of shows make the husband out to be some kind of buffoon. Turn about is fair play. :lol: :wink:

BTW In NORMAL classes, they LIMIT how kids can act up, and they are a bit more challenging, so your son would be less likely to have an outburst there.

BESIDES! Where he is NOW, the teacher probably sees him as a lost cause. NOT because of HIM, but because of where he is. That is like POISON to a person of decent intelligence. He would HATE IT!

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:20 pm

There is a reason I don't pretend to follow the lesson plan when I sub. I've taught it before, I know it. The lesson plans are standardized across teh district, and often times i've just taught to another class the day or week before. So why would I pretend to be following it? That just takes away from my ability to watch the children while I teach it. Furthermore, I would have serious doubts about letting any permanent teacher teach who appeared to be following her plans. if he/she doesn't know the plans they have to teach well enough to teach without consulting them, they have no business being in the classroom. And those that do consult them enough to be noticed are most likely too ill-prepared to enact the flexibility needed to be enact immediately when students react unexpectedly, either learning the material more quickly than planned, or struggling more because they don't have the past basis they were supposed too

Student behavior in regards to subs rarely has to to do with the subs ability (though that does affect it as some subs are so stupid they sit there in read a book and let kindergartners run wild). The problem with behavior regarding subs is that many students think they can get away with anything simply because the sub doesn't know their name.

When the sub has no control, 9 times out of 10 its because the school doesn't permit subs to have control. The district I sub in allows me to give students detention, which turn into either 2 day detentions or suspensions when I hand them in, or write a discipline report, which is even worse. All I have to do is flash those detention slips and the kids snap to attention and i've no problems at all for the entire time i'm with them. i tried subbing in a school that didn't allow subs to do that. So I didn't have the students names, as not every teacher has a seating chart, and I didn't have anything to threaten them with. Once I was asked to sub for a few hours in the high school. First, I soon discovered i had 6 kids in the classroom who should have been in other classes. Who knows how many i didn't find out about? I had a student who refused to put his cell phone away and was making calls (cell phones not allowed in this school). So since I couldn't give him detention I called the principals office. She spoke with him and let him keep his phone. What do you think the odds are of him ever listening to me when the prinicipals actions jsut showed him there would be no consequences of his not doing so?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:45 pm

Triangular_Trees,

I don't know you. I am old enough that I doubt you were ever a teacher in any of my classes. I meant NO offense to you. I'm just saying that is the perception, and it can thus be a contributing factor. Things change, it puts the kids on edge. The teacher is different, so they are more comfortable with bigger outbursts. The teacher figures there is no point, and does nothing. It escalates, and things get said. THAT is all I meant. I ramble sometimes, and peggy hill fit the stereotype.

I apologize if you were personally offended by my statements.