Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2008, 9:23 am

It just seems that there are some musicians that send the wrong message--That it's ok to do drugs, kill cops, abuse women, father kids out of wedlock, etc. There are musicians who if they were unable to use slang or profanity would be unable to speak. It's this type of music that perpetuates the same stereotypes people complain about. This is where someone's going to say "Yeah, but..."

I know what it's like to grow up in a bad neighborhood. If you've heard anybody's horror story then you've heard mine. I've been robbed twice, and had my home broken into. There aren't many "nice parts of town" anymore, and I couldn't afford them on what I'm earning. I don't see your environment as an excuse for bad behavior.

j2xj2x
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2008, 9:48 am

It's usually just an act, although some bands do have some pretty rough members.

I did use the word bands there. As far as I can tell, most rappers are nasty people, and I strongly do believe they are bad role models; with videos about drugs and babes. See, the thing is, extreme metal bands might make videos that are very rough, but they don't make it into mainstream.

I listen to music for the feeling it gives me, and I don't care if Motley Crue beat their wives. I don't agree with what they do, I just like their music.

I love death metal and doom metal and growling.

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2008, 11:32 am

j2xj2x wrote:
It's usually just an act, although some bands do have some pretty rough members.

I did use the word bands there. As far as I can tell, most rappers are nasty people, and I strongly do believe they are bad role models; with videos about drugs and babes.
I listen to music for the feeling it gives me, and I don't care if Motley Crue beat their wives. I don't agree with what they do, I just like their music.

I love death metal and doom metal and growling.

A couple years ago there was a band called "Hell-on-Earth" that was looking for a termially ill person who was willing to commit suicide on stage during a concert.

As talk of this spead, cities filed injunctions against the band and law enforcement threatened to prosecute if the event took place. IDK if the show ever happenned or not.

cliche
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2008, 11:37 am

shadowboxer wrote:
It just seems that there are some musicians that send the wrong message--That it's ok to do drugs, kill cops, abuse women, father kids out of wedlock, etc. There are musicians who if they were unable to use slang or profanity would be unable to speak. It's this type of music that perpetuates the same stereotypes people complain about. This is where someone's going to say "Yeah, but..."

I know what it's like to grow up in a bad neighborhood. If you've heard anybody's horror story then you've heard mine. I've been robbed twice, and had my home broken into. There aren't many "nice parts of town" anymore, and I couldn't afford them on what I'm earning. I don't see your environment as an excuse for bad behavior.

Perhaps you should avoid listening to hip-hop, then?

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=4JVUvC74D8w[/youtube]

Stars dived in blinding skies

Stars die. Blinding skies.

j2xj2x
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2008, 11:54 am

shadowboxer wrote:

A couple years ago there was a band called "Hell-on-Earth" that was looking for a termially ill person who was willing to commit suicide on stage during a concert.

As talk of this spead, cities filed injunctions against the band and law enforcement threatened to prosecute if the event took place. IDK if the show ever happenned or not.

Actually... I think that's a pretty good idea.

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2008, 1:38 pm

cliche wrote:
Perhaps you should avoid listening to hip-hop, then?

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=4JVUvC74D8w[/youtube]

Gladly, but in my neighborhood, it's unavoidable :P