Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jun 2008, 9:00 pm

I know how to build and fix a computer, it's finding cheap reliable parts that i need help with. i need

motherboard (decent)
ram 4gb
processor3+ghz
power supply (430w+)
fans
HD 1tb+
HD cooling
cd\dvd rw drive 32x
floppy drive (can be usefull for repairs)
all i have is an old case and 1100usd +$100 a month
cheap is good, i know ill probable want an AMD as they are cheaper than intel so where can i find this for cheap

kip
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 9:05 pm

The HD is whats gonna kill ya mate! Even as cheap as they've gotten, you still will shell out close to half is not more than that for the hd.

First off, what form factor is your case? It's probably ATX, but trust me, this makes a difference. Just give me it's measurements and I can tell ya :P

And also... do you know RAID? Cause then you can set up multiple drives to work as that ter you want.

Just a little info.

And try Newegg for your parts. Excellent site, and shippings pretty cheap in the lower 48. plus they have all the cool stuff, like power supplies and fans that light up. *squee!*

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 9:12 pm

Well, there's cheap and cheap. Any medium-sized city or town should have a computer store that stocks 3rd-party parts, etc.

Unless you're going for a flamin' gamer's machine, $1,100 should buy you plenty. I build my PCs (well, since the 286 days, I actually bought the 8086...;)

You have to nail down what you want, first. The technology changes every 3 months, so no matter how long you wait, something 'better' will come along by then.

I have an Athelon 2000 in my 'elder' machine (about 7 years..;) ASUS Motherboard, 512 meg o' memory (wonder if they make anything that small anymore..;) Only 2 drives totalling 120g (but they were state of the art in '01..;)

As for a terabyte drive; do you really need one? I know the price has come way down, but if you go for a few hundred gig (gad...my first HD was 30 meg, and I didn't know how I'd fill it..;) and save some buckaroonies...

As for a processor, there's 57 varieties...;) There's single, dual, and quad-core, with prices to match. Memory's not to expensive anymore.

You'll probably wind up with a version of Vista. I'd look at the minimum system requirements for that, and let that be your 'floor'.

I get stuff from a place called 'Intrex', in NC. Doesn't do you much good as far as going there, but if you want to see a sample of what's available....

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:22 pm

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Inte ... urator_top
$750 base price, SLI, Intel quad core and TWO video cards ;)
add $100 for 4GB RAM

curiouslittleboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2008, 11:24 pm

kip wrote:
The HD is whats gonna kill ya mate!
It doesn't help that he's going for the some of the biggest ones on the market. That really drives the price up.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jun 2008, 10:50 pm

kip wrote:
The HD is whats gonna kill ya mate! Even as cheap as they've gotten, you still will shell out close to half is not more than that for the hd.

First off, what form factor is your case? It's probably ATX, but trust me, this makes a difference. Just give me it's measurements and I can tell ya :P

And also... do you know RAID? Cause then you can set up multiple drives to work as that ter you want.

Just a little info.

And try Newegg for your parts. Excellent site, and shippings pretty cheap in the lower 48. plus they have all the cool stuff, like power supplies and fans that light up. *squee!*
it's an old dell case from a yard sale computer '99 optiplex

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jun 2008, 10:55 pm

pakled wrote:
Well, there's cheap and cheap. Any medium-sized city or town should have a computer store that stocks 3rd-party parts, etc.

Unless you're going for a flamin' gamer's machine, $1,100 should buy you plenty. I build my PCs (well, since the 286 days, I actually bought the 8086...;)

You have to nail down what you want, first. The technology changes every 3 months, so no matter how long you wait, something 'better' will come along by then.

I have an Athelon 2000 in my 'elder' machine (about 7 years..;) ASUS Motherboard, 512 meg o' memory (wonder if they make anything that small anymore..;) Only 2 drives totalling 120g (but they were state of the art in '01..;)

As for a terabyte drive; do you really need one? I know the price has come way down, but if you go for a few hundred gig (gad...my first HD was 30 meg, and I didn't know how I'd fill it..;) and save some buckaroonies...

As for a processor, there's 57 varieties...;) There's single, dual, and quad-core, with prices to match. Memory's not to expensive anymore.

You'll probably wind up with a version of Vista. I'd look at the minimum system requirements for that, and let that be your 'floor'.

I get stuff from a place called 'Intrex', in NC. Doesn't do you much good as far as going there, but if you want to see a sample of what's available....
a want the terabyte for my music and movies i want to do gaming and music and video editing. for the processor i want amd and the os is either vista ultimate or xp 64x edition (need 64x to support the ram) umm yeah

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jun 2008, 10:56 pm

computerlove wrote:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Intel_Core_2_Duo_SLI_Custom_Build_Configurator/#configurator_top
$750 base price, SLI, Intel quad core and TWO video cards ;)
add $100 for 4GB RAM
id prefer to build it

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jun 2008, 10:56 pm

curiouslittleboy wrote:
kip wrote:
The HD is whats gonna kill ya mate!
It doesn't help that he's going for the some of the biggest ones on the market. That really drives the price up.
only about $100 for 1tb