Do your parents try to live through you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 10:31 am

My parents dropped out and flunked out of college. They pressured me and pressured me and pressured me to go back to school, but I won't until I'm ready, and if that's only when I'm 50 that's too f*****g bad. How about you?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 10:34 am

Isn't that what parents are supposed to do?

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 11:10 am

My parents have had a tendency to try to live vicariously through me, so it seems. Maybe this is a natural thing of which all parents are guilty to some extent. I think they've gotten better about it now as I've gotten older. I left home over 12 years ago, after all.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 11:44 am

They still too often try to overprotect me even though I left the house over 4 years ago and live in a different country than them. But through phones and emails they keep close contact, a bit too close sometimes. I guess I am partially guilty by just talking too openly sometimes, but sometimes overprotection and suffocation are very close to each other. Guess I cannot complain though, I've lived in 5 different countries in the last years and they always tried to helped me when needed and never tried to keep me close to home.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 11:50 am

They tried, but I was quite rebellious throughout high school, and a few years thereafter. 8) :shrug:

Those who know, don't speak.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:22 pm

My parents don't really try to live vicariously through me, but my mother is still very protective of me, even though my 30th birthday is next year (mostly because I'm a man-child with a severe case of can't-grow-up syndrome).