The complete and utter pointlessness of life

Page 6 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 12:09 pm

Magnus wrote:
Carl Jung is my imaginary boyfriend. Please stop talking trash about him.

We're talking about a different Carl Jung. I hope yours is satisfactory in an imaginary way.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 10:09 pm

MrMark wrote:
Awww... I wanna be your imaginary boyfriend! ;)

Sweet...

-Pythagoras

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 12:30 am

I guess a similar question would be, what motivates a person to get up, go to work, and deal with life.

Perhaps there are genetic factors at work as I've been in and out of hospitals for suicide attempts. My only meaning in life was boozing...until I went homeless. Even then, I had no motivation to live or function. Yet I've seen people who've functioned in life without the use of drugs, religion, food, spirituality as if they're wiring was completely driven to survive and succeed. But I can't be too sure of that since I didn't know them THAT well.

Part of it may be linked to depression and an emotional need that isn't being fullfilled aside from other genetic factors variables like mental illness?

It could be that those with this tendency are more highly imaginitive and emotional than others?

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 9:59 am

I think that people who tend to search for meaning in things are probably more creative, emotional types. Thinking too much about things is not always beneficial to a person but that person chooses to do it anyways because he/she believes it is more important to know truth than to get along well in life.
I don't think it is wrong or more right to be deep and pensive but I do see the error in thinking that being happy is the goal and sole meaning to life. People with dulled senses are often the most happy. Ignorance is bliss...

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 10:05 am

Magnus wrote:
I think that people who tend to search for meaning in things are probably more creative, emotional types. Thinking too much about things is not always beneficial to a person but that person chooses to do it anyways because he/she believes it is more important to know truth than to get along well in life.
I don't think it is wrong or more right to be deep and pensive but I do see the error in thinking that being happy is the goal and sole meaning to life. People with dulled senses are often the most happy. Ignorance is bliss...

I don't know how you arrived at these generalities but it seems to me that people with dulled senses probably spend a good deal of their lives very confused and are ideal targets for scams, unhappy marriages, contemptuous kids, overbearing bosses and all the other fine pleasures of ignorance and unsubstantial fears.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 5:46 pm

I speak in generalities because this is no place to write a book. People who drink dull their senses and they do it to be more happy. ret*d people seem like the happiest bunch of sweethearts. If the meaning of life is to be happy then think of all the ways people try to make themselves happy. People who do not find meanings interesting strike me as dullards. Sometimes I act like a dumb blonde because life is more fun that way but I don't find life more meaningful when I engage in that sort of behavior. There is more to life than kicks. Money doesn't buy happiness, yadda yadda...

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 12:32 am

Magnus wrote:
I speak in generalities because this is no place to write a book. People who drink dull their senses and they do it to be more happy. ret*d people seem like the happiest bunch of sweethearts. If the meaning of life is to be happy then think of all the ways people try to make themselves happy. People who do not find meanings interesting strike me as dullards. Sometimes I act like a dumb blonde because life is more fun that way but I don't find life more meaningful when I engage in that sort of behavior. There is more to life than kicks. Money doesn't buy happiness, yadda yadda...

The old platitude that money doesn't buy happiness with the implicit reverse that a lack of money does not bring misery is a trap. Money lack is a major cause of misery in the world when it cannot supply basic essentials. Money as the only goal in life is probably a waste of a life but a lack of money, like a lack of air, is not something to neglect. Pardon me for being obvious.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 9:01 am

You're excused. :wink:

-Pythagoras