Page 5 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

StarAngel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2007, 3:01 am

AlecZander wrote:
Hey-- :D

I am a film director and screenwriter living in LA, have been for several years. I got diagnosed about six months ago, and I was curious about whether I'd be barred from my passion as a fully-fledged career because my thinking is very literal, and CREATING stories seems to be such an intuitive activity, and one that involves a lot of emotional analysis.

I have trouble because I become over-involved with the structure of the story. :?
I have trouble empathizing with characters as I write them, understanding their emotion. :cry:
I have trouble recognizing 'cool' dialogue, although I supposedly write it at times. 8)

SOOO ... I scoured the Internet to find out what writers/directors were diagnosed or purported to have AS. Here's what I came up with:

1. STEVEN SPIELBERG (Diagnosed supposedly, but hard to pin down where and how)
2. STANLEY KUBRICK (postumously diagnosed, but sure fit the part, and a friend of Spielberg)
3. TIM BURTON (Never diagnosed that I know of, but has many, many indicators)

These were the almost sure bets. Less sure candidates included Quentin Tarantino, Peter Jackson, George Lucas, Alfred Hitchcock, and James Cameron.

Does anybody have any more info on any of these guys, whether just behaviors that confim/deny the possibility of AS, how they deal with it, or ANYTHING? (Including your own experiences with creating stories?) I'm very interested to hear, and not just for academic reasons. I am working very hard to adapt my quirkly mode of creation to be able to make top-quality films in a very, very competitive, stressful field. I can use any data you've got! 8O

I can't believe I just now, after having joined months ago, found this area. My dream job is to be a screenwriter for a drama or supernatural television show. I have written several fan factions, mainly around shows Charmed and Smallville.

19 Jan 2007, 2:18 pm

Could Johnny Depp be AS or just have the traits? I read he had an obsession with lizards and talekd about them a lot when he was a kid and was a walking encyclopedia on them. I read he also suffers from anxiety. Those are the only things I know about him. I can remember someone mentioning to me on a yahoo group about him having it because she saw his name on a webpage that had a list of people with it. So it got open to keep my eyes out what i read about him and what he says about himself. Having two apsie common things isn't enough for me to say he has it.

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Jan 2007, 2:23 pm

StarAngel wrote:

I can't believe I just now, after having joined months ago, found this area. My dream job is to be a screenwriter for a drama or supernatural television show. I have written several fan factions, mainly around shows Charmed and Smallville.

StarAngel,
Have you sent your screenplays to those shows? I've heard stories of people writing something for a show and sending it to them, then being hired to be a writer for the show.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 11:05 pm

Crispin Glover!
His eccentric behavior shows that he may have Aspie traits.

10 Hollywood Aspies who may or may not have AS :
Charlie Kaufman
Zach Helm
Guilleremo del Toro
Crispin Glover
Johnny Depp
Steven Spielberg {no wonder he makes such awesome movies}
Alfonso Cuaron
Steven Soderbergh
David Lynch
Robert Roderiguize

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2008, 4:33 pm

Steven Speilberg is diagnosed as an aspie; I'm not sure if George Lucas is, but I think he is an aspie.

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 10:33 am

aguales wrote:
Interesting theory, reinforces the genetic theory.

camelonajourney
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2008, 5:30 pm

Crispin Glover. James Marsters. David Lynch. David Byrne (technically musician, but I threw him in there anyway.

Snoopy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Sep 2008, 9:58 pm

[quote="camelonajourney"]Crispin Glover. James Marsters. David Lynch. David Byrne (technically musician, but I threw him in there anyway.[/quote]

What about James Marsters makes you think he's an Aspie ?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 12:35 pm

Isn't James Marsters the guy who plays Spike?

The_Cinephile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2008, 11:32 pm

I'm pretty sure that David Lynch is autistic, and probably not an Aspie.
That's just my opinion...

Undead undead undead
The virginal brides file past his tomb
Strewn with time's dead flowers
Bereft in deathly bloom
Alone in a darkened room

Aspiestar924
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Feb 2009, 2:06 pm

I have strong suspicions that Quentin Tarantino has Asperger's Syndrome:

-Violent reactions to paparazzi
-Obsession with dialogue of pop cultures and things rather than people in movies
-Apparently casual and confortable dress and a lot of the time; half the time his hair is filthy also
-In interviews I've noticed he has a weird manner with communication, also slurs works, stims
-Geeky personality
-IQ of 160
-Dyslexia
-Never married and has no children; like me, afraid of relationships beyond a certain level

However it is important to note than a combination of these features does not necessarily diagnose autism. I was privledged to have a conversation with Donna Williams and she warned me that the spectrum is overdiagnosed with famous people because a lot of the features can found in neurotypicals and the condition's characteristics can be outgrown. She suggests the spectrum is fruit salad of length and bredth for each individual.

Autism is definately different wiring in the brain and MRI will diagnose it one day.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 5:35 pm

I'm reading the book "Burton on Burton" and I have to say... Tim Burton really seems to fit. If you look at the level of detail in his films and the control that he has that other directors don't seem to have, it's just something I've always wondered about (how many other directors really give THAT much of a crap about tiny little details, really?)

pigsrock
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2009, 8:37 pm

AlecZander wrote:
Hey-- :D

I am a film director and screenwriter living in LA, have been for several years. I got diagnosed about six months ago, and I was curious about whether I'd be barred from my passion as a fully-fledged career because my thinking is very literal, and CREATING stories seems to be such an intuitive activity, and one that involves a lot of emotional analysis.

I have trouble because I become over-involved with the structure of the story. :?
I have trouble empathizing with characters as I write them, understanding their emotion. :cry:
I have trouble recognizing 'cool' dialogue, although I supposedly write it at times. 8)

SOOO ... I scoured the Internet to find out what writers/directors were diagnosed or purported to have AS. Here's what I came up with:

1. STEVEN SPIELBERG (Diagnosed supposedly, but hard to pin down where and how)
2. STANLEY KUBRICK (postumously diagnosed, but sure fit the part, and a friend of Spielberg)
3. TIM BURTON (Never diagnosed that I know of, but has many, many indicators)

These were the almost sure bets. Less sure candidates included Quentin Tarantino, Peter Jackson, George Lucas, Alfred Hitchcock, and James Cameron.

Does anybody have any more info on any of these guys, whether just behaviors that confim/deny the possibility of AS, how they deal with it, or ANYTHING? (Including your own experiences with creating stories?) I'm very interested to hear, and not just for academic reasons. I am working very hard to adapt my quirkly mode of creation to be able to make top-quality films in a very, very competitive, stressful field. I can use any data you've got! 8O
did you to the miracle project

pigsrock
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2009, 7:37 am

GroovyDruid wrote:
Quote:
you don't want to work with other people (and I can understand why ), I would then tell you do be very disciplined. Try working on the actual writing of the script for a set amount of time each day, not necessarily when you have another brilliant idea. If you have a brilliant idea during a time other than your set time, write it down on a different notepad (or somewhere else). Then, when it's writing time, go back over your notes and see if you can work your ideas into the storyline without taking it too off-track.

I've tried working with a couple of other cowriters, but one of the things I realized pretty quick was that my method of writing was much more rigorous than theirs, and had to be.

That's good advice about scheduling writing. I actuall do write every day, for about an hour three times a day. It works very well.

Quote:
I believe Keanu Reeves has been diagnosed.
He is interesting to watch on talk shows as well.
Doesn't like to give much information about his personal life.

Reahhehehly ... :) That makes sense now that you mention it. I've seen him on shows.

I did some looking around on the net, and I couldn't find anything more reliable than widespread speculation to support that he's got AS. Where did you get your info, do you remember? It would be cool to check it out, find out how well supported it is...
how do you post two quotes at one time

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 2:37 pm

Wowwwwww....

I was just watching the documentary that came with the boxed set for the original star wars trilogy (the 2004 version) and even though George Lucas himself didn't come across as all that aspie (his speech didn't seem unusual and in the little clips they showed of him back then, he could keep eye contact), people talking about him said some really indicative things. Him being really quiet and never deviating much from the directions he gave and they basically described a meltdown.

Yeah. That sounds like he could have it.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 3:50 pm

MizLiz wrote:
I'm reading the book "Burton on Burton" and I have to say... Tim Burton really seems to fit. If you look at the level of detail in his films and the control that he has that other directors don't seem to have, it's just something I've always wondered about (how many other directors really give THAT much of a crap about tiny little details, really?)

Totally agree.