Not feeling or reacting to any sign of pain?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

chattercube
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2013, 10:42 pm

Do you seem to scar easily? For example, I got a small scratch on my arm approx. 2.5 inches long, but only 2-3 mm. bled. Much to my surprise, however, the whole thing scarred over. This happened 2-3 years ago and the scar is still there. Do any of you experience this?

I also have a very high tolerance for pain; For example, when I was helping a friend move out we were destroying some cabinets that were not in working order and I stomped on a nail. The nail went through my shoe and about 2 inches into my foot with no pain & minimal bleeding, didn't notice except that my foot couldn't move except up. Today I was stapling some projects together and I put the staple all the way into my thumb straight in, no pain, no bleeding. Also I did martial arts as was mentioned by others earlier and I could (still can) take full-force blows such as (side, thrush, jumping)kicks and punches to the gut, shoulder, leg, back, head, chest etc. and not care, not feel it, and keep fighting.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 7:29 am

I am differently wired with regard to certain sorts of pain.

Two take two opposingly extreme manifestations:

1) For example, the sensation of my little toe being accidentally bent backward while I am pulling on a sock is one of the severest types of complex and pervasive everyday pain I can experience, and it has me gritting my teeth so hard I think I'll break them, fighting back tears in my eyes, rolling around helplessly while clasping the toe tightly to as to counteract its experience, meanwhile feeling with extreme levels of stress and anxiety which often verge on becoming an outright panic attack, and which whole-person reaction is only mollifiable by taking the harmful sock off as soon as it becomes bearable (with running even the faintest conceptual risk of further offending that toe) and then massaging my affronted little toe for a period not unknown to feel necessary and therefore persist as behaviour for a hour or two, in order to rub away that awful awful feeling of being forced to be unnaturally double jointed for a moment. Until I feel that the unwanted feeling has been vanquished from the unnecessarily-mistreated little toe, I can barely stand upright on it, let alone function properly emotionally.

2) SEVERE TMI WARNINGI am sexually turned-on by being the victim of physical violence. Not all physical violence, I hasten to add: I don't think I could get my jollies off being mugged, even considered in retrospect. But I enjoy being beaten up by other men who share my particular fetish and who know how to handle themselves. Each blow that they land on me feels deeply sensual, rather than painful, even though the impact of each punch is keenly perceived as such. I have on occasion deliberately provoked my 'dom' in order to get a harder beating. Even repeated jabs at an eye-socket, resulting in a bleeding split are near orgasmic. One of the most sexual moments of my life was when my top (who was sexy, looking like an evil version of Jonny Wilkinson) had me pinned on a bed and put all his power into a punch to my ribcage which I actually felt fracture my ribs. It felt deeper and more meaningful than a kiss, and I was profoundly sexually stimulated by the pain of the injury until it finally healed. I can't explain this neurological deviation from standard pain-perceptions (although, from a degree of personal investigation, I gather that it's an altogether uncommon sexual fetish, but not sufficiently so to be definitely considered 'rare') but it represents an unusual cross-over between supposedly-standard perceptions of pain, abnormal misperceptions of pain, and the supposed pain/pleasure transfer mechanism that is the aim of most sadomasochistic practices. I intend to investigate this personal preference of mine further in the future, because I suspect that I can't live without it being in my life to some degree.

kcizzle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2013, 4:38 pm

I'm hyposensitive to pain and gave birth giggling from the gas and air (was like being high) watching TV over the midwife's shoulder, so it has its advantages. Honestly, didn't feel any pain, just movement.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 5:16 pm

My gosh, you hypo-sensitive people are like a different species to me!

I feel everything and I do mean everything! I lift weights, and the agony is beyond belief. Moreover, I can always feel my heart beating. After I eat, I feel my heart beating in my stomach. And I can get a rash just from a change in my emotions. My right arm has been itching for days for no reason.

I think you guys are kind of fortunate!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 12:49 pm

The only pain I seem hypersensitive to is when having sex (but it might be from nerves what make me clench up).

Otherwise, I've never been undersensitive to pain.

Last edited by Joe90 on 16 Nov 2013, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 3:15 pm

Hmm...I'm kind of mixed on this issue. I have examples from both sides. I think in general, if I get hurt when I'm not expecting it, then it doesn't really hurt me too much, though I do feel pain enough to be aware that I am injured. In other cases, I seem to be hypersensitive to pain.

When I was about 9 years old, I fell down the stairs and got a deep 6 inch long gash on my leg. It didn't really hurt much at all. My mom was taking a shower at the time that it happened, so I just calmly sat down and watched TV while I waited for her to get out so I could show her. When she saw it, she totally freaked out about how bad it was and how I should have told her right away, and that got me all upset.

Another example: when I got the first of my wisdom teeth out, I got a dry socket. It didn't really hurt much, other than some general soreness and the occasional twinge. In fact, I didn't even know that I had a dry socket until I went back to the dentist for him to check on the healing.

I also frequently get cuts and bruises without knowing where they come from, and I have had some pretty bad cat bites and scratches that only stung a little bit when they first happened.

Now, on the other hand... Some types of pain seem to be very bad for me. Any medical pain seems especially painful for me. The treatment for that dry socket, for example, was far and away the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. I've also had a few other painful medical procedures that I would never want to repeat.

I also have some general pain oddities. I've always hated having my blood pressure taken. It is very painful for me, and it always takes me some real willpower to get through it, though it has gotten better as I've gotten older. When I was really young, I would actually beg my pediatrician to give me a shot or draw my blood instead of taking my blood pressure (I didn't realize that those procedures weren't interchangeable, I guess). Wrist blood pressure cuffs are much better for me, but not many doctors seem to use them.

So for me it varies a lot, but I'm definitely capable of feeling pain.

chattercube: Yes, I scar very easily too. I currently have some scars on my wrist from a cat bite that didn't even break the skin. They've been there for several months and don't show any signs of fading soon. I hate them because they make it look like I cut my wrist. I also have some other scars from minor injuries that are yet to fade, and some of those have been there for a few years. I have been wanting to get some silicone scar sheets for a while now to see if they help, but they are just too expensive! It's definitely annoying.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 9:31 pm

I am hyposensitive to pain, especially when I was a kid, and it is a bad thing because I've had medical conditions go undiagnosed as a result, including one particularly serious illness when I was a child that could have killed me (I ended up spending nearly a month in the hospital).

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 11:06 pm

With some things i have this problem.

Remember when i was starting to run last year i think.

i dont think i listened to the pain in my legs. because it got so bad from 14 days of constantly running 10 miles everyday i could barely walk.

Not immune to pain by any means, but not always good at listening to the body i guess.

its like when you work out some pain is okay, while other pain isnt good. and then add to that when you have trouble already.

rmsteckbeck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2015, 3:40 am

I personally have always had a problem with feeling or expressing physical pain. This is very bothersome as people often do not take me seriously in regards to medical issues. For example, I currently have a broken rib. I know it is broken because i have had one before and I know what it feels like. It is quite unpleasant but when i tell people my rib is broken they don't take me seriously because I say it very calmly and do not express pain in a traditional sense. I once broke my leg pretty badly and told my cousin to please search for my parents as I had broken my leg and needed to go to the Dr. The way I had expressed it to him caused him to be in disbelief, another time when i was a child (around 5) I had broken my arm. I went to my mother with my arm hanging downwards and asked her what was wrong with my arm without expressing any pain. I had also stepped on nails. Once i had nearly died because I had been unaware of my appendix had ruptured. I was in Italy and rushed to the hospital and requested to leave after the surgery that had left a fairly large scar because they had to open up more than the usual to clean out my system. The doctors even told me I had awoken during the surgery and spoken to them, not in my native tongue but in Italian.
It is frustrating as though my body does react to the healing process that requires more sleep to repair itself, my unexpressed response to pain causes people to not take the situation seriously when I may require medial attention or a little more patience in daily activities or matters.

rmsteckbeck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2015, 3:46 am

Oh however, emotional pain or distressed is often over expressed commonly resulting in psychogenic and sometimes epileptic seizures. This is also frustrating because people mistake them for psychotic episodes. I do not display any signs of psychosis it is simply the manner in which i express emotional distress. I had an abusive wife and I had to call the police. I currently live in Ecuador and when the police responded they told me that they only helped women. I told everyone not to touch me and I made the mistake of shaking someones hand out of routine which was way overstimulating. I went into a seizure and when I awoke the police, my wife and her family had left me on the ground and woke up alone and confused. After that I decided to leave.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 3:36 pm

i do tend to scar easily, though i think this is mostly because i compulsively pick at my scabs.

i feel pain the same as everyone else but the manifestation of it doesn't really show on my face.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 3:45 pm

I don't scar excessively, I think. I certainly have a much higher pain threshold then most people, except for electric shocks, which are agonizing. 8O

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2015, 4:45 pm

When I was five years old I had hot soup(Vietnamese soup so you know this is HOT) and apparently didn't cry at all. Also about one year ago I fell and rolled down the side of a mountain scrapping a good 40% of my skin of my right calf and a large amount off my left knee, along with multiple bruises. I distinctly remember not feeling any pain from the large damages but only soreness from the bruises. I seem to have a good tolerance to high amounts of pain but not things like small punches.