Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SierraBell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2009, 12:05 am

I have PDD-NOS, and to explain to those that aren't sure about it, basically it's that I would have Aspergers Syndrome if it wasn't for a few things here and there. I don't have Autism, the label itself, but the methods people use to teach Autistic people happens to be the same methods for people that have PDD-NOS. That's how I understand it anyway.

So I AM on the spectrum, I'm just not Autistic.

ladyasd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2009, 6:56 am

I have PDD- NOS, and I do think it's a bit wishy washy. Some of my traits are very AS, some aren't. It makes things hard if I want to explain to someone abojut specific problems I have, because people I have spoken to seem to have heard about AS (even if they don't know much about it), but not PDD-NOS.

How do you all explain it other people?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 9:28 am

ladyasd wrote:
I have PDD- NOS, and I do think it's a bit wishy washy. Some of my traits are very AS, some aren't. It makes things hard if I want to explain to someone abojut specific problems I have, because people I have spoken to seem to have heard about AS (even if they don't know much about it), but not PDD-NOS.

How do you all explain it other people?

Tell them...it's also known as atypical autism,-people who are PDDNOS do not quite fit one of the other forms of autism,so they come under PDDNOS instead,it overlaps with both classic autism and aspergers and can go from very severe to very mild.

Doctors add the NOS [not otherwise specified] bit onto a lot of conditions,when they cant quite definitely label something but they know its definitely there.
am was once diagnosed as having 'facial pain NOS' because the doctor wanted to undiagnose the trigeminal neuralgia that had been diagnosed with-he was of the oldskool belief that only elderly get it.

Am think with PDDNOS,if it can help someone get services,it shouldn't matter what the name is,its probably better its more anonymous and not so heavily stereotyped like classic autism and aspergers,as thats where the problems really start when a label gets one functioning and ability level attached to it automatically.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 11:10 am

Woot!! !! ! I have PDD-NOS. I am AS but they dotn want to label me AS cause of certain areas where I am different. To me PDD-NOS is a catch all group.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 11:12 am

I sometimes explain ti as I am autistic but at the same time I am not. I kinda try to make them realize I am not full blown autistic but have some challenges.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2009, 11:33 am

I know I don't have Asperger's because I didn't talk until I was five years old....so I guess that would count as a signifigant speech delay. My original diagnosis at the age of 3 was classic autism, and the prognosis wasn't good. As a kid I was in special ed at school, and I had to go to speech therapy and occupational therapy. They did a good job I suppose, because by the time I was in high school I was mainstreamed with an IEP. I didn't actually finish high school though...I started college when I was 15, and graduated four years later. I have a career, I have a relationship with a man, and while I may only have three friends, I have lots of acquaintances, and I can be social if I have to...I'm great at faking and mimicking social behavior...

I have some other issues with sensory integration, I have synesthesia and I also have some symptoms of a mood disorder and also some schizophrenic-like symptoms (flat effect, occasional anhedonia, and thought disorganization). I don't' know exactly what I have.....but I think the original dx of classic autism was possibly a misdiagnosis.....I lack many of the autistic traits as an adult....it's actually hard to update my dx, because some psychiatrists doubt that I'm even on the spectrum, and want to dx me with a laundry list of mental illnesses.....

I think I may have been PDD-NOS all along....I'm also thinking I may have Multiplex Developmental Disorder (as sub-classification of PDD-NOS, not in the DSM-IV), which would account for the mania, the depression and some of the psychotic symptoms.