Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 10:47 pm

Not really looking, but I should be =/ The only jobs I've ever gotten were ones where my friends got me in, and I didn't even need to do an interview. I don't have the benefit of either of those situations right now, so thinking about filling out thirty applications so I can go to one interview and receieve zero jobs doesn't sound all that appealing to me right now :x

At least my mom isn't pressuring me into getting a job like she used to do constantly...I can't help but think it has something to do with her understanding a bit more about AS.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 11:37 pm

Ok, so here I am, applying for a job that will be even more degrading than the last one.
Must prepare, get into character.

“I am a complete idiot. I have never had an independent thought in my life. I would be thrilled to take your crap job because… because I’m starving. I believe in consumerism in general and your company’s contribution in particular. I would feel honored and proud to sell your worthless crap to anyone stupid enough to buy it.”

Ah, a magazine. I can wait in happyville rather than the lobby. “Contemporary Bride.” Never cracked one open before. So, where’s the contents page?. All magazines have a contents page, right? So that you can find the articles? How can you have a magazine with no articles at all?

Ok, forget happyville. Must focus and get into character. How can one focus on being brain-dead? I have the mind of an ant… Smile. And nod. And smile some more. I am a complete idiot. I would make a good employee because I would show up, do the work and never think. And I would smile inanely, all day long, because I am so very happy to be here.

A drug test? Sure, I’d be happy to. Got nothing to hide, no-sir-ee, not me. Except that I am morally offended by the concept and the system and think you’re a pig for asking. But the lab won’t find that in the cup.

Thank you for considering me. I’ll be waiting by the phone.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 11:48 pm

nekowafer wrote:
I still have to deal with calling the place to say I'm turning down the offer...
In this economy? Take it, and force yourself to keep looking.

johnners
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2008, 3:29 pm

I moved to the USA in Januray and am now looking for work. It's amazing just how little admin work with limited public contact there is, though there seems to be hundreds of jobs in sales, telemarketing, customer service, busniness development, anything where you have to act the part. Why are there so many jobs (in Northern California at least) for cliams processors at health insurance companies? Is it one of those jobs you do when you really have reached rock-bottom?

I'm also one who would like a job with minimal contact with the public, unfortunately unless you work in a factory or on a farm, you're lumbered. My jobs have all been admin support in colleges and universities, and I've been lucky enough that any contact with the public has been on the phone, where I don't have to contort my face into an interested, caring expression or make eye contact.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 4:35 pm

johnners wrote:
I moved to the USA in Januray and am now looking for work. It's amazing just how little admin work with limited public contact there is, though there seems to be hundreds of jobs in sales, telemarketing, customer service, busniness development, anything where you have to act the part. Why are there so many jobs (in Northern California at least) for claims processors at health insurance companies? Is it one of those jobs you do when you really have reached rock-bottom?

1.) I thank my stars for having a secure job in the health insurance industry. As long as people continue to age, I will have a job!

johnners wrote:
I'm also one who would like a job with minimal contact with the public, unfortunately unless you work in a factory or on a farm, you're lumbered. My jobs have all been admin support in colleges and universities, and I've been lucky enough that any contact with the public has been on the phone, where I don't have to contort my face into an interested, caring expression or make eye contact.

2.) I can more easily help people by sitting behind a microphone and seeing the member's information on the screen in front of me. They are at the mercy of no facial or body language, they have to rely on my words only. They are in expert hands and I give good service.

There was a big backlash among customers and clients when the customer/client got connected to call centers in High Tech centers overseas in Mysore and Bangalore, India. Now it is considered forward thinking to hire among the company's actual local geographic employment poole.

and it is a good way to build up unemployment for the inevitable.

Merle