Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2008, 5:52 pm

Once I got to twelve / thirteen I never wanted to be there. Hadn't liked it from day one at five actually, yet the start of teens made me feel the odd one out even more. It was a distant world I certainly was not part of. Its easy to talk of home schooling - lets be realistic - in some homes it ain't gonna be feasible.

I certainly had the worst attendance. In my case I put it down to s**t parents. A pair of dozy s**ts.

Being aspi I felt too 'sensitive' - abysmal at sport / games and at break times, even moving around were uncomfortable for me. I didn't feel part of it.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 9:39 pm

I hadn't missed a day of school/college unless sick or something else has occured.

greyh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2008, 6:48 pm

I've always had a problem with attendance, it's been a kind of vicious circle - I would have one day out, and that would make returning harder, so I'd avoid going back. Rinse, repeat. I finished senior school with only 70% total attendance, lmao, but i still came out with As and Bs so i guess it wasn't all bad. But when I started sixth form college it caught up with me because attendance is so vital there, and i think at the time I was a very immature 16 for being 16 and in the end it prevented me from getting A levels, unfortunately. It's strange though, because before 11 I had near perfect attendance and it was fine, I've always been 'bright' but just never really academic in the true studying sense of the word, so I've had to rely on pure brain power and luck instead of attention and study, which doesn't help when you don't have good attendance.

MintLemonade
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2008, 8:58 pm

I never had attendance problems. In college attendance was important and professors factored it into your grade because classes were small at around 10 - 20 students. I've had classes with 4 students or 8 students that weren't seminars. Although my last semester I would do anything to cut my applied psychology class because it was the most useless 2 hours of my life. I was a TA for that professor so he usually let off the hook because I was either grading papers or creating his lecture power point slides for most of his other courses.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 9:23 am

Okay, this posting might be considered offensive but I do not like rose-tinted glasses:

Have you considered doing the worthwhile things on the weekend and maybe see a doctor about those headaches. Maybe this will scare you but I learned in school that many employers see attendance as an important factor to measure the reliability of a person, so yes, I know how hard it sometimes is to swallow your pride and go there.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!