Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Sandee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2009, 10:20 am

Shoot...I'm scared...this is my first jury summons in about 12 years! I have no idea what to expect-but one person on here explained sooo much...it helped.

I just hope that I do not get in "trouble" for swaying back and forth...since I get like that when I'm very anxious....and I know that I start to pace back and forth after sitting for about 2 hours...I'm not sure if I will be able to pace, but sitting still is very hard for me.

Hopefully, when I call in tonight at 7pm, I will not need to go in! I always got out of Jury Duty before...but that was back in 1997 and prior...

Since I'm a college student, could they not pick me? It's a shame that my class starts July 11th-and this class is a Saturday for 6 weeks. So, they'd probably say that this class does not interfer with court...

Thanks

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 11:58 am

I got called for jury duty once, but then I randomly got another letter in the mail that said it had been judged to be undue hardship for me to serve. I don't know why, I thought you had to send something in and tell them that, and then have all kinds of trouble getting out of it, but I didn't do that. I'd actually wanted to go, since I never have before. I was a student at the time, but I didn't think that was reason to get out of jury duty, and it's not like I'd filled in the thing claiming undue hardship anyways. So I have no idea why they said that.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 1:46 pm

Jury Duty.

God forbid people could contribute to society. :roll: Get over it, people.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2009, 3:32 pm

malithion2 wrote:
wsmac: Thanks for sharing your experience in detail, thats really what I needed. I'm sure here it isn't to different if at all the same process here in New Mexico. I think the pay is minimum wage which I THINK is 6.50 an hour here I'm unsure though, but either way I don't expect to get rich :P

I've done jury duty before and I think you'd be lucky get 6.50 / hr. I did a week of it and never got selected. If you are a student tell them that and the lawyers will put an X by your name quicker than an OJ Simpson denial on a golf course.

malithion2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2009, 6:21 pm

yeah I went and was there for about 4-6 hours a day for three days, made about a hundred bucks. It wasn't too bad, but I was never selected.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 1:21 am

I had jury duty about a month ago. Fortunately, I got called to a court house which only takes cases they know will take a shorter amount of time - I'd check with the court house you got called to, maybe they're like that too.

It wasn't too bad, from what I remember. Everyone files into a room that's silent - bring a book or something with you to occupy yourself with. You'll be given a form to fill out, and I remember some people were given demographic surveys at random. We were shown a video explaining the American Judiciary system and were explained to by the judge that they were going to ask us some questions, and while it may seem like we were put on the spot, not to worry.

There weren't any cases that day that had to go to trial, so after about an hour and a half we all got sent home. I didn't go through any of the interview process, but from what I understand, they'll ask you about your background, and will try to pick a jury that is neutral to the case involved. If you have any connections to the case, or you know someone, or have a family member who works in the industry relating to that case, for example, then you are encouraged to speak up and explain your bias towards the case. I don't know what happens much after this but I urge you not to worry - if you don't give the judge a hard time then it should go smoothly.

Best of luck!

elancee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2009, 1:03 pm

I've been called for jury duty twice. The first time I went in with a book and an ipod for the wait. They told those of us that were "released" from duty by three in the afternoon. It was boring but not stressful.

The second time I guess they didn't have enough cases for juries because I was released by recording the night before.

If you really are uncomfortable with being on a jury and hope to not be chosen, go dressed in business attire and give the most articulate answers you possibly can when the time comes. My dad was a pilot and always appeared in a suit. He was released every time. I wore a skirt and blazer, partially to make myself feel better and partially to see if it would work. It did both.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 5:18 am

I dont know if I will ever be eligable for jury duty after college, since I will be working in law firms or as a court house clerk, which would make me biased since I would have access to alot of court documents, etc.I will have to ask my instructors of whom which are actual lawyers. :)

For more info on court procedure, here is a link to the Alberta Rules of Court

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/506.cfm

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

livingsunset
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Nov 2011, 7:13 pm

I have jury duty in two weeks and I'm anxious about it. I want to go, but new things scare me. I also don't have a car and I have to travel over 50 miles to the court house, and no money, which is just stressing me out even more.