Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Spotty
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2008, 5:05 pm

I always felt that Steve Hackett leaving was the start of the "new" Genesis, and in all honesty I think they should have called themselves something else; I really didn't like what I was hearing, and it was not the same band IMO. Yes and Rush also changed to a more commercial sound at the end of the seventies but to my ears it didn't feel like they "sold out" in the way Genesis appeared to. However, I did like their first outing as a three-piece "Then There Were Three", and have to admit that Collin's vocal performances on the "Second's Out" live album of the Gabriel material is outstanding (his drumming is, of course, out of this world also).

As far as Gabriel is concerned, although he also turned to pop (art-rock?) after leaving, I always thought his output more classy and original than the Collins' beatsters, and it wasn't too embarassing to admit that you liked it (sorry to Phill's fans).

Incidentally, Hackett just went straight off continuing with the same stuff Genesis was known for, you should check him out if you liked the early Genesis material.

Larree
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2008, 8:07 am

I saw Genesis live on the Selling England tour and the Lamb Lies Down tour. I also saw Trick of the Tail. After that, I was done with Genesis. I blame Phil Collins for the death of good music. Music died when Gabriel left Genesis.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 11:05 pm

I didn't find out about Genesis (other than a picture in Creme magazine...which was ages ago...;) until mid-70s. Liked the Gabriel stuff, though early Genesis was a bit sedate for me.

I liked the live albums; Genesis Live, Seconds out, 3 sides live (haven't found the ones with 'the short ones', and 'the long ones'). I do 3d rendering, and while a particularly long render was going, I'd fire up the CD and try to drum along (with real drums), to the Cage medley from '3 sides live'. Usually got left in the dust, but it did teach me some things about drumming.

I liked some of Gabriel's later stuff (I have 'Shaking the Tree', which is actually about all the Gabriel I need...;) a couple of Collin's works, and Genesis up to 'Calling all Stations'.

Actually, some cover bands do good work. I once saw the Musical Box do the '73 tour, and they were dead-$%#s on on everything. The long tirades before each song I could do without, but a fun evening.

Spotty
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2008, 8:25 am

Yep, Musical Box are spot on; watching them feels like going back in time. I've seen them reproduce "Lamb" and "Selling England" and they are superb. It would be interesting to hear from someone who can compare Musical Box to the original shows.

Larree
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2008, 8:39 pm

The day Gabriel left Genesis was the real "day the music died."

WintersTale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2008, 6:05 pm

I think all of the Genesis albums are good (yes, even the last one with Ray Wilson.) My favorite period of the band, though, is from Trespass through Genesis (1970-1983.) During that period, the band could do no wrong in my eyes.

I'm a much bigger fan of Phil Collins in Genesis than without, but he has released some interesting solo music as well. His last album, Testify, was a clunker, however. I find it strange that he's writing better music for kids films at the moment than for his own solo albums. :scratch:

To all the fans of early Genesis, have you heard any of Steve Hackett's solo music? He's an amazing solo artist, I especially like his Voyage Of The Acolyte, Spectral Mornings, Please Don't Touch, Defector, Cured, Highly Strung, Darktown, and To Watch The Storms albums.

Spotty
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Sep 2008, 5:32 pm

I mentioned Hackett in an earlier post actually - yep, if you like Genesis you would be mad not to check him out, I think his first four albums compete on equal terms - and they are unashamedly Prog. Genesis had a mountain of talent and produced three very successful solo careers (Gabriel, Collins, Hackett), and two reasonably successful ones (Phillips, Rutherford). Banks tried but didn't cut the mustard unfortunately.

I saw Hackett play a couple of years ago in a little town hall with his band, he was grinning from ear to ear the whole evening and obviously loves what he does. Oh - and he was triple stopping in 1971 (Nursey Crime), six years before Van Halen.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 5:41 pm

My favorite songs by Phil Collins are:

"Son of Man" (from Disney's Tarzan)
"Can't Stop Loving You"
"True Colors" (cover of Cyndi Lauper's song)

steelback
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2008, 5:12 pm

I don't know much about their Gabriel-era music, although I do have The Lamb and I have heard their first album, From Genesis to Revelation. In comparison, it's a bit disappointing how commercial they became in the 80s and 90s, although I like the s/t album, as well as the singles Abacab and Turn it On Again.

HaliaTotheres
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2008, 11:48 am

What? I'm not alone?! Peter Gabriel is one of my all time favorite artists. I even love his German CD. I loved his costumes in Genesis and I love his solo stuff. His video for Steam is awesome and a little raunchy, not in a bad way, it's just different :P which i like! I LOVE sledgehammer, and diggin' in the dirt, and pretty much anything he sang :P I like that he's into"political" things now, trying to help the world. I'm not a big phil phan, I don't know why.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 5:49 pm

I used to be a HUGE Phil Collins fan before I got into rock. I even had a crush on him as a young teenager. I was a weird teenager. My favorite songs were: That's All and Hold on My Heart. Whenever I listen to Peter Gabriel his songs are an amathist purple color. My favorite songs of his are "Red Rain", "Don't Give Up", "Mercy Street" "I Grieve", "Biko" and "Big Time".

HaliaTotheres
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2008, 6:26 pm

Mercy street and biko are AWESOME!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 8:15 pm

I like a few pre-Nursury songs, and some of Ant Phillips' solo stuff. Love everything from Nursery Cryme to The Lamb. A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are nice when the mood strikes me, they've got some really good ballads. I try to like ...And Then There Were Three and Duke, but I'm not very good at it. Abacab made me lose interest completely.

Don't really care for Phil's solo stuff, but I liked what little I heard of Brand X.

Love just about anything Peter's done, but I have to be in the right mood for anything SO and newer.

Larree wrote:
I saw Genesis live on the Lamb Lies Down tour.

I'd kill to see that 8O

There's a video out there that splices together what little video footage exists with still photos, but it's just not the same...I'm hoping some day, someone will find a complete video locked away in a vault somewhere, but until that day...all I can do is dream =/

Spotty
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2008, 5:16 am

There's a Genesis tribute band called Musical Box that did an extremely accurate reproduction of the "Lamb" performance. I was lucky enough to see it a couple of years ago and it was a literal time-warp. They were endorsed by Genesis and Gabriel to the extent they were able to use much of the original costumes and slides. Ironically, the Musical Box performances were technically better, as they used modern technology to manage the projectors and lights. Very few of the original performances went without a hitch. Musical Box then moved on to the "Selling England" tour before their lead singer left, so I don't think you're ever going to see "Lamb" performed to that standard again I'm afraid.

Imhotep
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2008, 5:37 am

Peter Gabriel is a great artist ... I first got introduced to his music while watching a thing on TV about the best music videos of all time. I was expecting Michael Jackson's Thriller to be #1 but surprisingly it was Sledgehammer. I'd never heard the song or seen the video, but the parts that I saw looked intriguing. So I went and watched it in full on YouTube, and thought it was AWESOME! Not just the song, but the visuals were stunning as well. "So" is a great album. IMO Sledgehammer, Red Rain and Big Time are the best songs on it. Don't Give Up is great as well, Kate Bush's voice really goes well with the whole mood of the song. From his other albums, I really liked Solsbury Hill, Shock the Monkey and Steam. The Fairlight CMI sampler used in Shock the Monkey makes it sound awesome. :P

Also, Phil Collins is excellent. He wins at drums... the solos he plays on tours are amazing. In The Air Tonight and Sussudio are awesome songs.