Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 11:53 pm

I drive a rebuilt metro from the early 90s. It was extremely inexpensive, is easy and inexpensive to fix (it's only needed a new water pump and a clutch adjustment in the 5 years I've had it), and gets 30 mpg. Furthermore, it's just as environmentally friendly as a lot of the more expensive options, more so than the new "hybrid suv" monstrosities, because it's about maintaining something old rather than creating something new to be thrown away.

A motorcycle or scooter is fun, but it's not reliable year round transport in new england.

If you have a little more to spend, look for an old Toyota Echo--it's a comfortable, fuel efficient ride, very well designed, I think.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:30 am

Any year Honda Civic will get excellent gas milage. If the prevous owner treated it well, it should be reliable too.

I have a 2000 Civic. I't has gotten 40.95 mpg recently.

Linebeck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2008, 2:05 am

Most motorcycles (i.e. not scooters) have a decent touring range typically around 200-300 km (roughly 130-200 mi) and many get more than that.

The smaller scooters get less touring range than that from what I know (I don't ride one) but most have storage under the seat so you can carry a jerry can if the distance between petrol stations is quite far. If you're more concerned about the regular filling than get a motorcycle, and if you're doing so much riding than I woudn't bother with a scooter anyway.

The big investment is the riding gear, it doesn't become very economical if you want to own one if you want to save money. Get a car instead. I ride because I enjoy it and it doubles as my cheap and quick transport. and I'm lucky to be in a country where the weather suits riding all year round.