Page 1 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2008, 1:13 pm

I love both fiction and non-fiction equally.

Magliabechi
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2008, 2:18 pm

The idea that all Aspies don't enjoy fiction is simply a myth. I love literature and can't imagine a life without it.

Magliabechi.

kitty2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2008, 2:30 pm

I like both fiction and non fiction. I kinda go for one thing for some time, like I have almost every Terry Pratchet book or get sucked into one non fiction theme.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 6:23 pm

I don't get much enjoyment out of fiction at all. That's why I despise books and movies and usually only watch TV shows involving real people and scenarios such as "World's Dumbest Criminals" and "The Soup" . I have much more fun reading encyclopedias and learning languages. :)

Yeah, it's true that I love Hellsing and Trinity Blood, but I honestly don't care about the plots of either. I just like watching the parts where my favorite characters have good chunks of dialog and reading their biographies on Wikipedia.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 6:25 pm

I wanna know where the hell people get time to read ANY books.

To me Books = Fiction, because if you want fact, you've got the web ... cheaper, more relevant and up to date.

I love the escape of a well-written novel - but just don't have sufficient inclination in fiction to invest the time in reading it.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 7:51 pm

Jane43 wrote:
Do many Aspies not care for fiction? If so, why would they not like it?
It's a flawed question, just like the Empathy test. Flawed people who don't understand themselves, asking stupid questions.

Anniemaniac wrote:
can survive without water and oxygen.
What??? You're delusional. You must be cured of this. Quick, we need a straight jacket and some drugs. My world will crumble if your existance is allowed to continue. Er -- I mean -- It's for your own good.

I like fiction. Good fiction is full of metaphores and all kinds of stuff that sends my thinking in new directions.

I especially like science fiction and fantasy. They're allowed to be honest, sneak in under the radar, because the type of people who would be offended by honesty either don't get it or are not paying attention.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 8:16 pm

I enjoy both fiction and non-fiction.

Fiction can sometimes teach us more than non-fiction ever could.

Crime and Punishment taught me about guilt and how pointless it is.

The Lord of the Rings taught me about courage and greed.

Gormenghast taught me everything and more.

I love sci-fi and fantasy too. Philip K Dick and Mervyn Peake are my favourite authors.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 11:19 pm

yes, Sci-Fi 8)

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2008, 11:21 pm

Love all kinds of fiction. Just goes to prove how huge the spectrum scale is I suppose.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 1:29 am

I love fiction!

Shai-hulud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2008, 2:00 am

As far as fiction is concerned, I read strictly old, (or what i consider to be old,) sci-fi. I generally find all other fiction boring. I enjoy some books that are saturated in emotional complications because they allow me to feel some of those things i cannot feel in reality. But so many books like these are very poorly written. For example, I'm under the impression that the Twilight series has this emotional saturation, but I cannot stand to read even a paragraph of any of those books because of the poor quality of the writing. It is my opinion that the author's writing style is comparable to that of a fifteen year old. I don't really understand why I cannot stand this style of writing, for it is ridiculously easy to understand, and I generally hate the complexities of grammar and often wish that things could be stated in such simple ways as presented in those books. :?

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 2:35 am

Shai-hulud wrote:
As far as fiction is concerned, I read strictly old, (or what i consider to be old,) sci-fi. I generally find all other fiction boring. I enjoy some books that are saturated in emotional complications because they allow me to feel some of those things i cannot feel in reality. But so many books like these are very poorly written. For example, I'm under the impression that the Twilight series has this emotional saturation, but I cannot stand to read even a paragraph of any of those books because of the poor quality of the writing. It is my opinion that the author's writing style is comparable to that of a fifteen year old. I don't really understand why I cannot stand this style of writing, for it is ridiculously easy to understand, and I generally hate the complexities of grammar and often wish that things could be stated in such simple ways as presented in those books. :?

Good writing is art.

Bad art grates on the aesthetic sensibilities.

There are plenty of shite artists about.

For me, the writing style has to be right for me to be able to read it.
If it's well written, I can (but wouldn't) read total dross.

I do like amusing writers - and the written word is a great medium for that.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 2:36 am

Eggman wrote:
I love fiction!

To the point (if nothing more).

Praetorius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2008, 3:37 am

I *HATE* fiction! Keep books away from me! Movies are fine, though.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 4:15 am

I love fiction, particularly sci-fi, fantasy, horror and historical fiction. I also like non-fiction as well. Reading is great, I love books.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 4:36 am

pandd wrote:
I love fiction, particularly sci-fi, fantasy, horror and historical fiction. I also like non-fiction as well. Reading is great, I love books.

I second this. Books are incredible. Thanks to Johannes Gutenberg and the Egyptians.