Page 6 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 6:47 pm

I love fiction and fantasy themes...

When it comes to reading, that's tough though, since I'm just now trying to get into reading. I've had to make do with video game, movie, and music's relationship with fiction/fantasy.

So I guess I should ask... what's a good book to start with here? ^^ I like most themes regarding fiction. I sort of like the medieval-style fiction, dragons and such. But I think Lord of the Rings would be too heavy for me at the moment. :P

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 8:04 pm

Jane43 wrote:
The person who suspected I'm mildly AS, asked if I read fiction? I sure do and I really enjoy it.

Do many Aspies not care for fiction? If so, why would they not like it?

Authors tends to spell out exactly what the characters' intentions are so why would this be difficult to enjoy?

Where do you get the idea that Aspies don't like fiction. I will bet money many Aspies love science fiction.

ruveyn

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 8:18 pm

I'm not officially diagnosed, but I love fiction.

Oscarellie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2010, 8:01 pm

I like fiction, but I think it is the type of fiction liked that is interesting to note. Like, I liked very predictable stories like Enid Blyton when i was younger, and now I really love Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), amongst other authors who have very predictable storylines. They don't really do things you don't expect. I also like fiction that is often described as atypical/unusual. I used to just pick up a book of my sisters and read it in one- she was younger than me, and they were like babysitters club or jaqueline wilson, and I wasn't even interested in the stories, I just wanted to finish them because I started them and I wanted to know how it finished.

Oscarellie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2010, 8:05 pm

Oh, and one thing I noticed recently, after talking to my friend about childhood TV shows that we each watched, was that she, a normal person, liked cartoons of people and people shows, often beyond her age range, where I liked stop animation or puppet things, often below my age group (and also obsessed with them), like Sooty and Sweep etc. Does anyone else notice no, what they liked as kids to be sort of different to what their peers did?

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 3:05 pm

Most of the wall space of my flat is covered in fiction... I'm considering buying a 10th bookcase.

I do have the common AS preference for SF/fantasy. But in my late teens to 20s, I read mainly realistic fiction, and heavyweight stuff at that. One thing that eventually put me off it was realising that... look, authors can be very persuasive in putting forwards a worldview. And that worldview may well be utterly divorced from reality, and even destructive in some way. Somehow, I find it easier to flag this issue up to myself when the story's set on Proxima Centauri b than when it's set in Milton Keynes.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 4:38 pm

I read mostly non-fiction when I was younger, but I have enjoyed reading fiction at times.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2019, 5:56 pm

I can enjoy fiction, but I haven't sought to read a fiction book in about 15 years, so I guess my enjoyment was not very high overall.

Growing up, I focused mainly on non-fiction books about subjects I liked, or just read the newspaper to keep up on current events. When I reached my mid-20s, I became interested in reading every book that John Steinbeck wrote after I really enjoyed his novel Tortilla Flat. I continued to read and enjoy his books for several years, but only about two or three each year (which is virtually nothing to any serious fiction reader).

By my early 30s, I had read about half of all of Steinbeck's novels and short-stories, but about halfway through reading his 1936 novel, In Dubious Battle, I put it down after realizing that this story was the most frustratingly boring thing I'd ever encountered, and that it was time to try reading something else by any other author. I then read and loved a few fiction books like Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and Orwell's Animal Farm, but after a year or two, I just decided to stop pursuing new fiction books since doing so just didn't seem interesting to me anymore.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 9:03 pm

I prefer non-fiction, but I will read fiction if it centers around a subject I'm interested in.

I like the Lillian Jackson Braun Cat Who...mysteries because I love cats, especially Siamese.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2019, 6:18 pm

I like fiction but typically will mostly seek out non-fiction.

I also tend to be averse to physical books. Most of my reading is research online and also my participation in various forums.

As a kid Star Wars was definitely a special interest. I'm still upset that Han Solo in the recent film wasn't raised by space gypsies like I read in one of those books with pictures and descriptions. I loved reading those kinds of things as a child.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 6:25 pm

I like non-fiction----especially biographies and correspondences.

I enjoy reading case studies---rather than theoretical psychological stuff.

Fiction was, definitely, an acquired taste in me----though, once I tried it, I found that I liked it pretty well.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 6:31 pm

There are plenty of aspies

Some like, dislike, or neither

:skull:

Fiction and nonfiction is fine with me

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 6:32 pm

I’ve always preferred fiction.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 10:06 pm

I like fiction quite a bit. But if it's too far fetched I probably won't enjoy it.
One book that I didn't finish spent the first 200-300 pages explaining some basic mechanism that the entire novel hinged on. Couldn't deal with it and gave up.

Sometimes non fiction makes me want to go do whatever the book is about. It's not fun to read about airplanes, I want to go build one and fly it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 4:31 am

LolaGranola wrote:
I love both fiction and non-fiction equally.

I luv SyFy. :heart:

Damn!
Necro-ed again. :evil:

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 1:17 pm

I love fiction and making up fictional characters or worlds in my head.