Asperger's Syndrome and Education - Online Survey

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 3:44 pm

sartresue wrote:
The survey did NOT say... topic

...anything that this adult Aspie could answer, except that I was not a parent of a child diagnosed with AS, and some neutral/general location/gender ethnic questions.

I didn't get that far; I just noticed this:

"Please do not include any identifying information (childs' name, school district, teacher's name etc.)."

This "Doctor Jeff" was active on AFF until I pointed out how these official types won't debate with me! Now he's asking for opinion which cannot be verified?

See anything wrong with this picture?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 4:14 pm

Alex has checked out Dr Jeff and found him to be bona fide.

I'm encouraged that a researcher is unwilling to debate and wants to remain neutral.

- Emerson

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 4:31 pm

MrMark wrote:
Alex has checked out Dr Jeff and found him to be bona fide.

I'm encouraged that a researcher is unwilling to debate and wants to remain neutral.

So why won't he debate with me directly...and who are you "MrMark"?

You may not be aware, but gwynfryn is my real name, and I've never hidden my e-mail address.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 4:38 pm

People who want to debate usually have a personal or political agenda.

- Emerson

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 5:03 pm

MrMark wrote:
People who want to debate usually have a personal or political agenda.

I disagree; I want the truth to be known. This may be personal but it's clearly not political!

Pundit23
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2008, 10:01 pm

You start with an agenda, but are supposed to seek truth: by mixing opposites, ie. right and left, you get the straight answer, Mr. Mark.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 4:32 pm

Pundit23 wrote:
You start with an agenda, but are supposed to seek truth: by mixing opposites, ie. right and left, you get the straight answer, Mr. Mark.

Nicely non committal; but where is Dr Jeff?

meesh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2008, 9:16 pm

I am a PhD student in a related field, and this survey appears 100% legit. Notice that the e-mail is from a .edu address and that it includes all the standard human subjects protection text. And out of curiosity, what benefit would he gain from this info if he was not a researcher?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

29 Jul 2008, 9:25 pm

gwynfryn wrote:
sartresue wrote:

...anything that this adult Aspie could answer, except that I was not a parent of a child diagnosed with AS, and some neutral/general location/gender ethnic questions.

I didn't get that far; I just noticed this:

"Please do not include any identifying information (childs' name, school district, teacher's name etc.)."

This "Doctor Jeff" was active on AFF until I pointed out how these official types won't debate with me! Now he's asking for opinion which cannot be verified?

See anything wrong with this picture?
Yes I do. And how come the only ethnicities are Latino or non Latino?

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 8:39 am

sartresue wrote:

I'm an adult aspie whose not a parent and there wasn't a single question I couldn't answer. Though the gender one was quite hard as it only gave two choices, neither of which are very appropriate for someone like me. From your comments, I can only gather that you never attended school and are under the impression that its impossible for aspies to attend school.

Also, people you are thinking way too hard into the "why" behind this. I agree with Meesh that this survey appears 100% legit.
And any good researcher would not be debating with anyone during the data collection phase as that has the potential to corrupt his data collection

This appears to be a survey seeking generalites, not specific statistical data. both opinions of what works and statistical data are equally valuable in research, the goal in mind is just different. The man told you right here, in this thread exactly why opinions are being asked for and this is the type of research that opinions are necessary for "We plan to share some specific responses directly with teachers in future training workshops." There is also an entire paragraph on the first page of the survey that tells you what it is about

I asked for opinions on my thesis survey - does that mean I wasn't seriously researching the topic? If so then why I am working with the professor to get a publication based on that survey right now? I was also required by the IRB to not collect any personal identifying information - does that mean I wasn't a legitimate researcher?

Quote:
And how come the only ethnicities are Latino or non Latino?

because there is obviously a significance in his research to whether or not the person in question is latino. He could be comparing his results to a previous study, to the benefits claimed by programs provided specifically to aspie latino's, or to help prove/disprove myths or believes specifically centering on latinos

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html