No. 55%  55%  [ 62 ]
Yes, I'm an Aspie. 35%  35%  [ 39 ]
Yes, I'm an Autie. 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 113

Jan74
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2008, 7:35 am

Statistically, 48% of the people here cannot possibly have savant abilities. So... maybe the poll should be "do you have an inflated sense of self?"

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:40 am

Jan74 wrote:
Statistically, 48% of the people here cannot possibly have savant abilities. So... maybe the poll should be "do you have an inflated sense of self?"

Perhaps. But you didn't account for: 1) In no way is this a random or stratisfied sample of the autistic population - not even close. This is certainly not a scientific study or poll. 2) Savant abilities are actually not well-defined. Further, the working 'definition' has evolved as the understanding of autism has evolved.

I merely reported what I am and do. Whether or not savant - irrevelant. I reported my answer to the question posed in good faith, as did others. With assurance, I have no inflated sense of self; quite the contrary. My self-confidence, at best, is very shaky &/or non-existent. Further, whoever said savant abilities are a good thing? There are downsides as well, I promise.

Deus_Imperator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2008, 6:31 am

Only occaisionaly. For some reason, with certain mathematical equations I can get the answer instantly. Normally its for very basic equations, implying that its just that I think really fast, but I also do it for logarithmic equations. And the problem is that I know its the correct answer but I have no idea how I reached it. It drove my Methods teacher nuts.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 6:46 am

Deus_Imperator wrote:
Only occaisionaly. For some reason, with certain mathematical equations I can get the answer instantly. Normally its for very basic equations, implying that its just that I think really fast, but I also do it for logarithmic equations. And the problem is that I know its the correct answer but I have no idea how I reached it. It drove my Methods teacher nuts.

That makes you an extremely right-brained thinker - what ed-psychs call 'Grasshopper' thinkers (visual, top-down, macro-to-micro, need to understand first) ... as opposed to left-brained 'Inchworm' thinkers (auditory, sequential, micro-to-macro,rote - don't see the whole picture).
Most people are left-brainers - including teachers, so the entire edu system is set up for left-brainers ... leaving strongly right-brained thinkers (like you and me), however gifted, at an enormous edu disadvantage.

Deus_Imperator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2008, 7:01 am

MemberSix wrote:
Deus_Imperator wrote:

That makes you an extremely right-brained thinker - what ed-psychs call 'Grasshopper' thinkers (visual, top-down, macro-to-micro, need to understand first) ... as opposed to left-brained 'Inchworm' thinkers (auditory, sequential, micro-to-macro,rote - don't see the whole picture).
Most people are left-brainers - including teachers, so the entire edu system is set up for left-brainers ... leaving strongly right-brained thinkers (like you and me), however gifted, at an enormous edu disadvantage.

Really? I'd always thought that this was a savant ability. Not tied to a hemishpere of the brain. Isn't that interesting though?

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 10:21 am

Jan74 wrote:

Maybe you need to inflate yourself a bit. Go on. Have a go :D

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 11:39 pm

Very funny, very cute, enjoyable thread.

Idiot savant was used in the past for someone who is extremely gifted and disabled but having an extremely low I.Q. Genius Savant is just the opposite. Anyone skipping grades and going into college early who also is gifted and autistic might well fall in that category of the Genius Savant or at least have the traits.

Genius does leave one feeling even more seperated and cut off, as someone else mentioned. Genius isn't as far fetched as some may think. It's common, for example, for a genius to not have much in the way of common sense. Who can really define what intelligence really is. I doubt in can be really found in an I.Q. score.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 8:43 am

HHAHAHAHAHahAhahaahAHA *laughing hysterically*

All stats show that barely 10% of large samples of diagnosed Autistic people (including LFAs and HFAs) have savant skills ,It's impossible to have 38% as savants here , IMPOSSIBLE , unless if most people here consider savant skill as scoring a high-score in MMORPG or taking an A+ on math quizzes or having an IQ more than 130 is equal to savant ability , it's not .....read about savant abilities before voting or replying, smarties.

The more I browse this section of WP the more I realize that this site is full by fakers and autistic wannabes ...and what's worse ....autistic savants wannabes!

...and no, I have no savant ability.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 10:19 am

While a small fraction of what you say is true, the rest shows you're a complete idiot.

Isn't that what you're trying to call everyone else here? I don't think anyone on this thread really claimed to be a Savant. Something about the topic obviously threatens you and your spirit sounds cruel.

I will ignore your posts from here on.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 10:44 am

aspiartist wrote:
While a small fraction of what you say is true, the rest shows you're a complete idiot.

Isn't that what you're trying to call everyone else here? I don't think anyone on this thread really claimed to be a Savant. Something about the topic obviously threatens you and your spirit sounds cruel.

Yeah, and I'll be boycotting Beirut for holidays, too. ;)

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 11:09 am

This thread is mostly clear of it, but the sarcasm seen so often only shows, like everywhere else, that NT's have infiltrated here too. Only a coward would ridicule or attempt to humiliate people with developmental disabilities.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 11:52 am

aspiartist wrote:
This thread is mostly clear of it, but the sarcasm seen so often only shows, like everywhere else, that NT's have infiltrated here too. Only a coward would ridicule or attempt to humiliate people with developmental disabilities.

Come on, don't let this turn into an "I hate anyone higher-functioning than me" thread.
If you were referring to my previous comment, I was taking a pop at the same guy as you.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 11:57 am

Thanks, and I don't claim to be high-functioning.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:18 pm

aspiartist wrote:

Only a small fraction? are you sure of that? how small it is, eh?

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:27 pm

aspiartist wrote:
Thanks, and I don't claim to be high-functioning.

I do think you've gotten hold of the wrong end of several sticks.

No need to be so sensitive - I doubt anyone has a grudge against you, but you seem to be happy 'handing it back'.

Try reading a post at least twice before responding.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:32 pm

Who said anyone had a grudge against me? And I do read a post at least twice before responding.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions.