Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 3:14 pm

windscar15 wrote:
Sighhh...

The mere title of this thread offends me, who is anyone to decide what my best interests are.

Second, I don't need some stupid toothless organization like the UN to protect me from life's problems.

This is a prime example of everything I dislike about the Autistic Movement. It becomes a pocket civil rights movement that pretends to speak for everyone, when it really doesn't.

We are not a special minority that deserves handouts for something we were born with, get over it.

I think along the way, from advocating awareness and respect, the movement saw that if they could act like a minority group, they might get special rights and benefits. I don't want handouts and patronizing gestures from a society that would be fine if I just shut up and at least try to integrate.

I am not oppressed, I am not a victim. Go ahead, have your stupid petition, in the process, I've just lost even more respect for people on the same spectrum as I.

Ditto'd.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 7:52 pm

Personally, I suffer from severe discrimination in the work force, AND I DON'T DO ANYTHING offensive that anyone can name.
I also suffered horrific abuse as a kid, but never received a single detention or disciplinary action in school for any specific crime, real or imagined.
No, wait -- I cut a study hall ONCE and they sent a letter to my parents. They really, really, really wanted an excuse to punish me formally, but couldn't find anything.

windscar15 wrote:
...get over it...

Stage whisper: You are not over it.

While imperfectly articulated, I agree with the intention of this petition.
(I have not signed, only because it asks for my full name and address, and I don't really know who these people are.)

How about if we put it another way?

New Explanation
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1583997.html#1583997

Give me drugs so that I won’t be afraid.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1588301.html#1588301

Some of us can adapt enough to pass. Some of us can not. All of us have tried. We are not going to "get over it," any more than you can change the color of your skin. The denial and the abuse do not help.

A movement that speaks for everyone would be very nice. That's why we're talking. What is really going on and what can we do about it?

The first part is to acknowledge the 600 pound gorilla. The abuse is real. It is right in front of us, and everybody knows it.

One part of the process is to work through the anger. Let the force flow through you, but resist the dark side.

The legitimate attempts to "cure" are mixed up with the same old abuse. We need to understand and separate them. Severely Autistic children need help. All I need is protection.

Personally, I believe the threat of genocide is real. Technology we have today could wipe us out in a generation, guaranteeing that the world will never see another Einstein. Or Moses.
The Mutant Registration Act (as in X-Men) already exists, and people are signing up in droves.
http://www.iancommunity.org/cs/ian_rese ... n_research
If they keep going the way they are going, with no input from high-functioning Aspies, this will not have a happy ending.

And even if you believe that's pushing it, you can not deny or defend the abuse.
If "get over it" means that you do the best you can with what you have, that is good.
If "get over it" means that you deny or defend the abuse, you make yourself a part of the problem.

Last edited by Tahitiii on 19 Jul 2008, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

19 Jul 2008, 8:02 pm

Xelebes wrote:
windscar15 wrote:
Sighhh...

The mere title of this thread offends me, who is anyone to decide what my best interests are.

Second, I don't need some stupid toothless organization like the UN to protect me from life's problems.

This is a prime example of everything I dislike about the Autistic Movement. It becomes a pocket civil rights movement that pretends to speak for everyone, when it really doesn't.

We are not a special minority that deserves handouts for something we were born with, get over it.

I think along the way, from advocating awareness and respect, the movement saw that if they could act like a minority group, they might get special rights and benefits. I don't want handouts and patronizing gestures from a society that would be fine if I just shut up and at least try to integrate.

I am not oppressed, I am not a victim. Go ahead, have your stupid petition, in the process, I've just lost even more respect for people on the same spectrum as I.

Ditto'd.

AFF does not speak for me anymore than Autism Speaks does. Thanks for your effort to TELL ME what my best interest is and what I must do about it hurricaneseye, I think I'll stick with making my own decisions.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 8:20 pm

It is in my best interest to ignore anything done by AFF.

Even Simon Baron-Cohen told AFF that they're crazy.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

marieclaire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2008, 8:38 pm

Quote:
The first part is to acknowledge the 600 pound gorilla. The abuse is real. It is right in front of us, and everybody knows it.

People on the autism spectrum have a unique social network, this is primarily using communication with text on the internet. It is an invaluable community for many of us. There should be increased availability and recognition for this autism community online so that isolated spectrumites can join and participate.

I don't need Amy or Gareth Nelson to speak for me.

I agree that the online community can be a valuable as a social network, but when you run an online community that ignores the "gorilla in front of us" and allows and ignores verbal harrassment and abuse of isolated "spectrumites" in that community you are not a good person to preaching to anyone.

marieclaire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2008, 8:40 pm

That petition is quite old 2005 - so far 118 people have signed it.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 8:47 pm

beau99 wrote:
Even Simon Baron-Cohen told AFF that they're crazy.

Simon Baron-Cohen is just another pig.

MY "Theory of Mind" is perfectly functional, Mr. B-C, but thank you for your concern. It allows me to understand the intentions of others (including you), understand how my behavior affects others (including you), and I have a general concept of social reciprocity, although I do not stoop to your level and use it.

"Hold still so I can hit you some more. It hurts my feelings when you try to shield yourself like that."

I'm sorry that this hurts your feelings, Mr. B-C, but no, I am not going to hold still.

19 Jul 2008, 9:06 pm

Now I feel stupid for signing it. Maybe I didn't read it right. :(

windscar15
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2008, 9:17 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
Personally, I suffer from severe discrimination in the work force, AND I DON'T DO ANYTHING offensive that anyone can name.
I also suffered horrific abuse as a kid, but never received a single detention or disciplinary action in school for any specific crime, real or imagined.
No, wait -- I cut a study hall ONCE and they sent a letter to my parents. They really, really, really wanted an excuse to punish me formally, but couldn't find anything.

windscar15 wrote:
...get over it...

Stage whisper: You are not over it.

While imperfectly articulated, I agree with the intention of this petition.
(I have not signed, only because it asks for my full name and address, and I don't really know who these people are.)

How about if we put it another way?

New Explanation
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1583997.html#1583997

Give me drugs so that I won’t be afraid.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1588301.html#1588301

Some of us can adapt enough to pass. Some of us can not. All of us have tried. We are not going to "get over it," any more than you can change the color of your skin. The denial and the abuse do not help.

A movement that speaks for everyone would be very nice. That's why we're talking. What is really going on and what can we do about it?

One part of the process is to work through the anger. Let the force flow through you, but resist the dark side.

The legitimate attempts to "cure" are mixed up with the same old abuse. We need to understand and separate them. Severely Autistic children need help. All I need is protection.

Personally, I believe the threat of genocide is real. Technology we have today could wipe us out in a generation, guaranteeing that the world will never see another Einstein. Or Moses.
The Mutant Registration Act (as in X-Men) already exists, and people are signing up in droves.
If they keep going the way they are going, with no input from high-functioning Aspies, this will not have a happy ending.

And even if you believe that's pushing it, you can not deny or defend the abuse.
If "get over it" means that you do the best you can with what you have, that is good.
If "get over it" means that you deny or defend the abuse, you make yourself a part of the problem.

What is this abuse? Is it really inherent to all spectrumites? I mean, it looks like you've been taking this way too seriously. How will this improve the lives of spectrumites? All of you fail to aswer these questions. What do I, the signer get out of this? I am not defending abuse, why do you think, simply because I said that?

Why exactly do you believe that something out of a comic book exists in real life.
I think you need to seriously examine realty and not make assumptions for everyone here. We have all had our own lives and experiences, for you to suddenly group all of us into your level in a desperate attempt to be part of some contrived collective identity is demeaning to me and you.

Look, how am I being abused? Do you even know me? Do you even know what my life is like? Can you honestly know that I am suffering any sort of abuse when I did not personally tell you? I'm not speaking for you, but are you speaking for me?

By the way, I never said I was over it completely, I am simply trying to make my way in society without demanding too much, is that really so evil and selfish to you?

windscar15
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2008, 10:44 pm

You also completely misread what I said about getting over it.

I did not say get over it as in ''collectivise yourself into a foreign interpersonal body( heck, you seem to have no problem clinging to a group that hardly any credible organization would classify as a minority group in, as I said before, a sad attempt to seem appreciated by people)''

I meant that you shouldn't force people to like you, that only makes people hate you even more.
This isn't even about the money anymore, its about how you make people on the spectrum look, rather than as strong, independent, and proud, you make us look like a sad group of welfare babies, who need a constant pat on the back to avoid going insane.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

19 Jul 2008, 11:00 pm

windscar15 wrote:
This isn't even about the money anymore, its about how you make people on the spectrum look, rather than as strong, independent, and proud, you make us look like a sad group of welfare babies, who need a constant pat on the back to avoid going insane.

Yes, like if we are so damned equal (or superior in some people's minds) then why do we need special coddling?

windscar15
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2008, 11:02 pm

I even hate the superiority theory.

Its empty narcissism that simply shows how insecure some of us are.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

19 Jul 2008, 11:03 pm

I don't subscribe to that theory either.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 11:04 pm

Sorry, that didn't come out right. Let me start over.

windscar15 wrote:
By the way, I never said I was over it completely, I am simply trying to make my way in society without demanding too much, is that really so evil and selfish to you?

No, you are probably be where you should be. I spoke too soon, and without looking at your age.
You are lightyears ahead of where I was at 18. I was a complete basket case, and would not have been able to participate in a discussion like this.

windscar15 wrote:
What is this abuse? Is it really inherent to all spectrumites? I mean, it looks like you've been taking this way too seriously.

I put the links in there for a reason. How about this one?
http://specialchildren.about.com/od/boo ... llying.htm
I take it seriously because it is serious.

windscar15 wrote:
How will this improve the lives of spectrumites? ...What do I, the signer, get out of this? I am not defending abuse, why do you think, simply because I said that?

This petition is not ready to go. I didn't sign it. Still, I agree with the poorly-articulated intention.

When I hear someone say "get over it," he is usually defending or denying the abuse.
"Hold still so I can hit you some more. It hurts my feelings When you try to shield yourself like that."

windscar15 wrote:
Why exactly do you believe that something out of a comic book exists in real life?

I put the link there for a reason. It does exist.

windscar15 wrote:
...and not make assumptions for everyone here. We have all had our own lives and experiences...

Fair enough.

windscar15 wrote:
...for you to suddenly group all of us into your level in a desperate attempt to be part of some contrived collective identity is demeaning to me and you.

The gorilla is real. It is demeaning to everyone. If you can bust out of here and get your self-esteem up, and get a decent life, good for you. When you are ready, would you please come back and help those of us who are not able to do that?
Also, the first time you get fired from a job, not due to incompetence or any wrong doing on your part, but just because you're an Aspie, please think of me.

windscar15 wrote:
Look, how am I being abused?
Ok, I will ask you now.
http://specialchildren.about.com/od/boo ... llying.htm
Can you read the pages in this little sampler and honestly say that this is not a problem?

Having little chats like this is good. Better to stand up to me and put me in my place before we take it on the road. I hope that someone will eventually re-write a petition like that, with the same basic intention, but more clearly, and in a way that speaks for everyone. If you are involved in that process, we will be one step closer.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 11:20 pm

velodog wrote:
Yes, like if we are so damned equal... then why do we need special coddling?

We are not equal at all. I don't need or want any special coddling for myself. I want protection from abuse that continues, long after school ends. It's not just about self-esteem. It's also about being fired for no reason.

Last edited by Tahitiii on 19 Jul 2008, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windscar15
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2008, 11:21 pm

I wasn't bullied often through my school years, maybe a few incidents, but I wasn't a good enough target.

I'm sorry if you were the school punching bag and doormat, but that's not my problem and it shouldn't be anyone's collective problem.

The only way I can help anyone here is to make them realize that this self-destructive victimization routine is bad and it only leads to further pain. I can't make you have friends and make bullies stop hitting you, you need to throw a punch back, you need to take a stand, not me. If you want self-respect and respect from others, do things by yourself and make your own life. Don't have others step in when you get scared or feel bad.