18 Jul 2008, 12:25 pm

You be the judge

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/fr ... anging_out

Title: Friend Somehow Bad at Hanging Out

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2008, 12:46 pm

wow, I have some basic questions. From what newspaper is this article? is it a joke?

this seems very odd, but i have had similar things happen to me...

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 1:17 pm

Yes, "The Onion" isn't exactly a real paper, more of a satire site. They're making a movie about it, I saw a preview.

It's funny reading, but don't take very much of it literally.

marlinsgirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jul 2008, 1:19 pm

Yes, it is a joke. That's pretty much what The Onion is. It's a Parody of the News.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 1:25 pm

zghost wrote:
Yes, "The Onion" isn't exactly a real paper, more of a satire site. They're making a movie about it, I saw a preview.

Dude, the Onion movie is a joke, it is not in production...

monty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 1:29 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
zghost wrote:

Dude, the Onion movie is a joke, it is not in production...

Dude... check again. I have rented the Onion movie from my local video hut. Rather funny.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 1:52 pm

Yah, the Onion movie has been out for a while now... you can get a free (pirated) copy at piratebay.org...

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 2:53 pm

I love the Onion.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 5:18 pm

One it is satire making fun of people who are DXed with some absurd unspecified "dysfunction" .

Two...it sounds nothing like my AS unless it is that people don't like hanging out with me. This person was described as having no social skills problems...they were funny, intelligent, could tease and do small talk. They didn't stim or twitch or do anything else to differentiate them from any NT behavior. I have low tolerance for hanging-out because i get bored. If I want t be around people I would prefer we are "doing or making something" . My BF insists I "just it" and watch TV or movies and it drives me nuts unless I am very tired . I prefer to be doing something if the TV is on, either physically...like crafting or mentally..being on-line. I am not a good "hanger outer "but people could give you a hundred reason why...long pauses, interrupting, not following the flow of conversation, stimming, etc.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 8:38 pm

Haha, that's me!

The good news is that now that I know I have AS, I just tell people right away, "I always look nervous when I'm relaxed and my voice often sounds shaky and emotional when I'm not feeling any kind of emotion."

Fortunately, so far, everyone has accepted this explanation and many seem grateful that I told them. My boyfriend said he even explains it to people before they meet me, probably something like, "She has this one quirk - she always looks tense even when she's completely relaxed and her voice often sounds shaky or intensely emotional when she's not feeling that way at all." He told me he thinks this helps people to understand and relate to me better, so I appreciate it. I mean, it must be working because all of his friends seem to like me.

I could conclude from this that I should just go ahead and tell everyone I have AS, but that's a big label with a lot of associations attached to it, making it hard to predict how people will react.

It's amazing that simply explaining my AS characteristics, individually, is so simple, easy, and effective!

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 11:05 am

Ha ha ha. I like "The Onion" (I actually like "The AV Club", which is their non-satirical entertainment website alot better, but "The Onion" has always been a fun little paper)

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

19 Jul 2008, 11:30 am

I give you an onion.

It is a moon, wrapped in brown paper.