Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

18 Jul 2008, 11:46 pm

I was in Barnes and Noble tonight for a couple hours. I go there about once a week. Any way, There were some girls there that have been acting friendly with me. I met them the first time at the end of February and maybe a couple more times in the next month and a half, and saw them there again tonight for the first time in maybe like 3 months. The first time I met them they came and sat with me at the bar in the cafe and started talking to me. The next time they asked for my phone number but i refused to give it to them. The also wanted to know if I had a myspace and how they could find me on there. This was all back a while ago. Tonight, as I said was the first time I saw them in a while, but there weren't there for long. One of the girls who face i remember, I just found out her name tonight. I didn't know it before. It a sort of situation where I wish we could be friends, but it wouldn't be right. I think she thinks I younger than I am. I'm assuming that they probably figure I'm gay. Nothing is going to happen. Anybody else have any experience like this.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 9:41 am

I am a little confused as to why you refused ( not politely declined, not just avoided the subject, but refused) to give them your phone number. Were you concerned that they were teasing you? Did you distrust there intentions?
another thing that confuses me is your sentence "It a sort of situation where I wish we could be friends, but it wouldn't be right."

why wouldn't it 'be right', please?

Merle

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 1:50 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
I am a little confused as to why you refused ( not politely declined, not just avoided the subject, but refused) to give them your phone number. Were you concerned that they were teasing you? Did you distrust there intentions?
another thing that confuses me is your sentence "It a sort of situation where I wish we could be friends, but it wouldn't be right."

Maybe because they're "teenage" girls? Since everyone's caught up in this "pedophilia hysteria," avoiding teenage girls as much as possible is a very wise move, if you're an older adult.

DustinWX
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2008, 2:17 pm

Avoid them, you could get in a lot of trouble if they were to accuse you of something.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 2:34 pm

sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

ah. . .my first thought was 18 is teenaged. . .I didn't see the age of the OP, though. thanks for clueing me in.

Merle

19 Jul 2008, 9:19 pm

Being an aspie and a 32 year-old virgin, I sometimes feel I'm more likely the victim.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 5:37 am

I was going to say exactly the same thing as both Cyberman and DustinWX.

Teenage girls will probably only be friendly towards me if they are teasing, or they want something. Like last night I got approached by one of a group of 3 teenage girls on the street, because they wanted me to buy drink for them.

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2008, 5:20 pm

I understand, I UNDERSTAND. I was so nervous and reticent when younger. At fifty years old I say GO FOR IT! As long as you don't burp in their faces or break wind you are in with a chance!

You are suffering from a typical aspi magnification of errors and low self worth. Most people are s**ts out there, stop putting yourself under the microscope, learn to or at least imagine how to kiss and fool around with a girl.

Tips: Talk slowly, move slowly, it makes you seem as if you are confident. Nearly all 'smooth operators' have eff all going on inside their heads, apart from the obvious. Don't bother telling the chicks your favourite special hobbies, they only know abt pop music, make-up, clothes. Buy a brainy pop mag and keep it on hand. DO NOT make a grab for their tits if you get into a clinch.

Send me a cheque.......

acannon
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2008, 5:30 pm

I would avoid them, as well. As a former teenage girl, I know how parents can be if you hang around older guys who they don't know. Also, it kind of sounds to me like they're not being friendly, but like they're picking on you. I wasn't there, though, so I don't know, but usually, teenage girls don't talk to men in their thirties, so there's a very good chance that they're picking on you. It was very smart of you to not give out your information or they could start prank calling you and stuff.

Brunny
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2008, 2:59 pm

It could be that they want to laugh at you but if you have spoken to them a few times and they've been OK maybe they are actually genuine. The Daily Mail is not reality, most teenagers are actually quite nice, or at least not any worse than their older counterparts. If they have been friendly on several occasions and you haven't noticed any sniggering or mickey-taking then they are probably OK.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 5:26 pm

sounds a little odd... what did they talk about with you? can you think of any reason WHY they would want your number?

22 Jul 2008, 8:14 am

When I first met them at the end of February, I was wearing tight jeans and white rain boots by Marc Jacobs. When I walked into the store I walked by them on the way into the cafe section of the store. I ordered a hot chocolate and then sat down at the bar to read a magazine. They came into the cafe following me and two of them, there were more girls in the group, came over to talk to me, one of them sat down with me, and started asking me about my boots. After i left the cafe they were kind of following me around the store. I was in the magazine section looking at a hair magazine, one of them grabbed it, not from me but just to look at the cover to see what it was. The other one asked me if I wanted to be a hair stylist when I got older. They also asked if I had a myspace and how they could find it. When the left the store they said bye to me.

About two weeks later I was in the store again, and then they came. I was wearing a new black satin jacket I just received displaying the name and logo of the dance studio where I take classes. One of them asked me if I was on a dance team. She was also bugging me for my phone number. After this I saw them probably in April and then again just this past Friday.

I honestly think that they think I'm younger than I am.

RustyShackleford
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2008, 8:32 am

Cyberman wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Maybe because they're "teenage" girls? Since everyone's caught up in this "pedophilia hysteria," avoiding teenage girls as much as possible is a very wise move, if you're an older adult.

Agreed, I have experienced similar situations. Some girls feel more mature than their peers and go searching for older male company. Teenage girls also have a weird mixture of being overly outgoing because they don't realise the dangers, overly horny but not knowing what to do with it and have over active imaginations with the ability to get wrapped up in fantasy as if it were reality. Many can also look innocent enough to cause a great deal of trouble. Definitely a wise move to steer clear especially if you are an older male. It's a trap I tell you!

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 1:29 pm

If you see whether they are laughing, giggling etc. when they talk to you, that's a good rule of thumb as to whether their intentions are good.

Either way, it's pretty risky.

I had a kinda similar experience with a teenage girl not long ago, where I live. I'd not long moved to the area. I walked past these teenagers in the street and one started chatting me up.

She turned out to be my next door neighbour. Something we didn't know about each other at the time.

kerrissteen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2008, 12:46 am

sounds like they thought you were cool and were flirting with you because they probably thought you were in college or something... or just wanted to chat with an older brother type figure... it really depends on what the girls are like

i wouldn't over analyse it too much... sounds pretty innocent... as long as you know not to get involved in the situation in the 'wrong' way as other people have already pointed out