Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GuyTypingOnComputer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2008, 2:37 am

My Asperger's 8 year-old has major problem with constipation. He is always complaining that his stomach hurts, and when he does poop, the poop alone is so big that it clogs up the toilet. Two nights ago, I had to break one in half (don't ask) and even that didn't do the trick because it was like flushing a pair of shoes down the toilet.

Anyway, here is what we are trying:

1. Get him to drink more water during the day
2. Get him to eat some fruits and juice
3. Get him to eat more fiber
4. Get him more exercise
5. Get him to try to poop more often

I understand these are the basics, but each of these is a chore with my picky, highly routinized son.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2008, 7:03 am

Constipation can also be the result of certain food intolerances, most commonly dairy and citrus. I suffered terribly and painfully as a child when my mother went through a major health food phase involving oranges and grapefruit. Another constipation culprit is chocolate.

And although coeliac disease, ( intolerance of gluten), usually causes diarrhoea, in some people it produces constipation because of the damaged digestive processes, ( water uptake is disturbed).

And as D W a mom mentioned, smelly bowels could well be a sign of adverse reaction to a food, a sign of something causing the constipation. Lots of fibre won't solve this problem, and may even make it worse, because won't help "bind"/soak up the irritant-food.

Try cutting out dairy, chocolate and citrus and you may immediately see an improvement.

alyandrea
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2008, 11:48 pm

if it's a smell thing try putting some strong but nice scent on the space between his lip and nose...coroners sometimes use vicks like this to cover the smell of the dead bodies they have to work with...there are many nice smelling oils out there and you could maybe change them some if he starts to associate one with a bad feeling and if he likes the smell of vicks (i can't handle it myself) then it is easy to find...

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 7:51 pm

Ugh, it hurts to be constipated! I'm miserable if I can't go to the bathroom. I try to keep myself well hydrated so I don't get constipated.

lbfwtx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2008, 12:56 am

If only it was as simple as getting him to "eat a salad" or veggies. Constipation is an ongoing issue/battle with my 9 year old. He is SO picky. The best thing that works for him is eating a peeled apple or applesauce. An apple a day...