Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2008, 5:42 am

Okay, here's the situation as of last Monday.

It's band practice time for praise and worship team, but this time things are a little different. The director is in the back room hearing out the auditions for the team, so the rest of the team is up on the stage "practicing." The guitarists are randomly playing, the drummer doing his own thing, and I feel so confused as to what direction we're going in, and I am not perfectly sure who is leading. We did have a "substitute" leader, but it took her a little while for her to get things sorted, so for a little while, drums are going off, the other guitarist is playing waay too loudly for me, I can barely hear my guitar, the soundcheck is an absolute pain, and when practice finally started up (that is, we started working on the songs), we went through kinda quickly (thankfully it wasn't our only practice), and we didn't get the practice for a particular new song we were working on. By the end, I felt absolutely crazy, mad and frustrated > : ( Everyone else was good, but I was on the verge of exploding. I couldn't think straight, I felt like yelling at points, I didn't know what to do with myself. Actually I feel like this everytime the other instrumentalists just go off and do their own thing during downtime.

Is this a normal Aspie thing? When a situation is loud and noisy, to get frustrated and not even be able to think? Actually, I feel that way whenever there's stress, or sometimes when the abnormal or uncertain takes place.

PS - Happy ending; service went well

kip
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 6:12 am

I felt that way ALL the time during worship practice!

The worst part was, my dads girlfriend ran practice, so her nazi arse had the whole trip to pick on me for ANY little thing I did.

So, when she left, the group was kinda... lost.

Richard and I took over. The two of us alone caint sing for squat, but put us together and it was like a professional. So we basically ran the group. It helped that I had a partner, so I didn't sound like a total dork on stage. And it really only took the one song for the rest of the group to get the hint and listen up. So for the next like, 2 years, I became the de-facto leader of our little group.

Just get one other person to join you. The rest of the herd will follow. Plus you get bonus leadership points with the leader.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 10:57 am

Capriccio wrote:

~cocaphany of music practice~

Is this a normal Aspie thing? When a situation is loud and noisy, to get frustrated and not even be able to think? Actually, I feel that way whenever there's stress, or sometimes when the abnormal or uncertain takes place.

glad to see everything worked out alright. As for your reaction to unsorted stimuli, I have felt like that in many situation. (I remember one time when I just sat down on the floor and cried in frustration, much to every one's surprise and consternation. I thought people would 'come to my rescue' but not really. . .most were just trying to get away from me and not be involved. I am not so sure I would have been helpful to them had they actually tried, either.)

I have found it easier to keep a pair of earplugs near (those foam ones that just take the edge off, and not actually make it hard to hear) and breathe a lot. I like to drink a bottle of water and an aspirin in a quiet place if I can for about 5 to 15 minutes for a 'mini break' if it gets too stressful. However, I find if I can't get away, I deal with it, breathing and concentrating on what I am doing at the moment until the situation around me passes. When I take myself out of the 'director of those around me' mode, and just take care of me for a minute, I can keep myself from getting upset.

all the best,
Merle

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 11:20 am

sounds like a few rehearsals I've been to. That's why you need a leader.

I used to get bored in practice; I can play by ear, so after a couple of runs, I'd have it down. Drummers and guitarists need to be in tune with themselves, so you're going to have a little noodeling around..;)

You guys just need to have enough discipline (ok, I'm serious, let's get started) to have things progressing, without going overboard like some bands (you were 5 minutes late for practice, that's a $50 fine).

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 3:28 pm

Capriccio wrote:

It's band practice time for praise and worship team, but this time things are a little different. The director is in the back room hearing out the auditions for the team, so the rest of the team is up on the stage "practicing." The guitarists are randomly playing, the drummer doing his own thing, and I feel so confused as to what direction we're going in, and I am not perfectly sure who is leading. We did have a "substitute" leader, but it took her a little while for her to get things sorted, so for a little while, drums are going off, the other guitarist is playing waay too loudly for me, I can barely hear my guitar, the soundcheck is an absolute pain, and when practice finally started up (that is, we started working on the songs), we went through kinda quickly (thankfully it wasn't our only practice), and we didn't get the practice for a particular new song we were working on. By the end, I felt absolutely crazy, mad and frustrated > : ( Everyone else was good, but I was on the verge of exploding. I couldn't think straight, I felt like yelling at points, I didn't know what to do with myself. Actually I feel like this everytime the other instrumentalists just go off and do their own thing during downtime.

yes this is major problem when im playing my bass whith my guitarist friend all guitars need to be adjusted so that all guitars hear...i cant follow other guitarists lot of time so i take one of loudest noises and keep up the tempo whith it.....also its good to trying focuss what u playing because everyone are doing it out of fun and play their own tune and switch it in air...well ill do same then playing hardest parts etc its practising ..in real sidsuation everything is fine tuned