Page 3 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 2:28 pm

skahthic wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
Last week, I was having a lunch with 5 coworkers who are programmers btw. The discussions led to a discussion about wild bird.

I don't remember why we started to talk about Penguins but the largest dude said:"Penguins are not birds"

I was like 8O and others 2 dudes were convinced by him, the third was 'not sure' by saying: "but it looks like a bird"

The other dude said: "Birds have specific characteristics , Penguins don't have them, penguins have fins ..not wings."

The largest dude said:" Penguins also don't lay eggs,they are mammals and and they have leather skin and not feathers'

Me: ".... guys I think you are confused between Penguins and seals?!"

The large dude:"WHat?? no we are talking about Penguins?"

Me:"You mean the animal of white and black? the one that looks like nuns?"

the two dudes:"Yes!"

I was eating chicken, I pointed the chicken with my fork and said sarcastly: "Well guys.... if Penguin are mammal then Chicken are mammal too!!"

I enjoyed when I showed them on wikipedia: Penguins (order Sphenisciformes, family Spheniscidae) are a group of aquatic, flightless birds living almost exclusively in the Southern Hemisphere.

how far stupid people can be???

Not so much different than that woman at my work who said fish weren't animals. Humans are doomed to "stoopidity".

Einstein said "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jul 2008, 2:55 pm

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/books/htmw/

Tormod
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2008, 3:06 pm

One person I knew insisted on that camels carries water in their humps. I told him they don't really store water in those things. He asked me, speaking to me like I was the idiot, just how did I think they could possibly be able to survive in the desert without water in their humps.

He also insisted on that homosexuality does not exist among species other than humans because of evolution or something.

And when someone said he was wrong he said he can't be, because has an IQ of over 120 :roll

Some people are just stupid…

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 3:06 pm

FireFox wrote:
skahthic wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
Last week, I was having a lunch with 5 coworkers who are programmers btw. The discussions led to a discussion about wild bird.

I don't remember why we started to talk about Penguins but the largest dude said:"Penguins are not birds"

I was like 8O and others 2 dudes were convinced by him, the third was 'not sure' by saying: "but it looks like a bird"

The other dude said: "Birds have specific characteristics , Penguins don't have them, penguins have fins ..not wings."

The largest dude said:" Penguins also don't lay eggs,they are mammals and and they have leather skin and not feathers'

Me: ".... guys I think you are confused between Penguins and seals?!"

The large dude:"WHat?? no we are talking about Penguins?"

Me:"You mean the animal of white and black? the one that looks like nuns?"

the two dudes:"Yes!"

I was eating chicken, I pointed the chicken with my fork and said sarcastly: "Well guys.... if Penguin are mammal then Chicken are mammal too!!"

I enjoyed when I showed them on wikipedia: Penguins (order Sphenisciformes, family Spheniscidae) are a group of aquatic, flightless birds living almost exclusively in the Southern Hemisphere.

how far stupid people can be???

Not so much different than that woman at my work who said fish weren't animals. Humans are doomed to "stoopidity".

Fish are marine animals. There are "vegetarians" who eat fish claiming that "fish aren't animals".

Since "animal" is a word we use to categorize some creatures which we call "alive", it denotes a human constructed category. There exists no platonic ideal definition of animal. Hence, if they choose not to label a fish an "animal" unless they have specified in some way characteristics which an entity must possess to be an animal which fish also possess, the classification while inconsistent with common language use of the word "animal" is potentially viable.

Consuming fish is traditionally not regarded as being in the same boat as consuming other animals (see for example, banning the consumption of animals except for fish during Lent). While using terminology like "fish aren't animals" is clumsy, I doubt they are intending to say what you think they are saying. They are implying there is a relevant distinction between the moral value of eating fish and eating other creatures, grounded in the nature of fish. Other animals may be classified as "fish" for the purposes of the moral value of eating them (in general, sea creatures are "fish", and rather humorously, in the 16th century, the Catholic Church classified capybaras as "fish" [I can only imagine what they were thinking in that case]).

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2008, 3:55 pm

krex wrote:
The majority of interaction between humans is based on"bonding", which generally is based around agreeing with the pack leader...not on sharing correct information. This reality is one reason that I find most human interaction either boring or frustrating or both. We might as well still be monkeys making the correct grunting sounds to reinforce the status of the pack leader or attack the bottom of the pack individual, so that we can "find our place" in the social group.

"normal humans" have little interest in the exchange of valuable information if it contradicts the first rule of society....knowing your place and reinforcing the "place" of other pack members. The reason that it is not "OK" to clear up these misinformations is because it is not "our place" unless we are the pack leader...seldom the case for aspies.

krex, what you have writen here is pure art. Its very rare that you can just say "oh, its like that" when you read something in a book or on the internet.
but this is the truth, in my opinion.

perhaps you can tell me the meaning of life next? :wink:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 4:00 pm

this is a very amusing thread....

dupertuis
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2008, 10:07 am

LePetitPrince wrote:

What bothers me most about this post is the realization that these people probably vote.

dp

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 10:15 am

Gee whiz & here I thought it was common knowledge that penguins belong to the bird family! I've known that info since I was a little kid & didn't need the March of the Penguins movie to explain the facts. It never ceases to amaze me just how dumb *some* human beings can be! If the other dummies were agreeing with the first guy, maybe they were just sucking up?

Penguins do fly btw, they just do it under the water, not through the air! ;-) I have spent lots of time watching them at Sea World. They are so cool!

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 9:31 pm

Ozzie Cobblepot , a hardcore gangsta !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnjK719rheE

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jul 2008, 12:41 am

Wow. Just wow.

Sometimes I fear for humanity.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 4:10 pm

aethra wrote:
Next time you see them, ask them what they think a platypus is. :wink: Also, get them to rent Happy Feet on DVD or something. Awful movie, but it might be educational for them :roll:

Oh, come on It isn't that bad, I like it, because May I point out that I strongly, identify with the Main Character for I stand out of the crowd, (being autistic) and well, He has the Shading of the Baby Emperor Penguin, when He's a Adult. :roll:

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 4:47 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
grinningcat wrote:
Its funny what people will believe (barring the fact that these guys were not trying to tease you, and were serious?). I still have to laugh at a few vegetarians who have blatantly told me that fish were not "animals". Certainly, if you want to eat fish as your protein source and that sits well with your beliefs, knock yourself out - just don't tell me that fish are vegetables. :nemo:

8O 8O 8O

WOW! I guess vegetables CAN be smart! And here I thought the venus flytrap was the smartest(if you consider triggered movement, to get a meal, smart, anyway.) HEY, Maybe fish are related to that seaweed that floats all over the place! They're BOTH slimy, get hooks, are caught by fishermen, etc.... And the japanese may use them both for sushi! :lol:

Hopefully, you guys know I am kidding!

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 4:48 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
grinningcat wrote:
Its funny what people will believe (barring the fact that these guys were not trying to tease you, and were serious?). I still have to laugh at a few vegetarians who have blatantly told me that fish were not "animals". Certainly, if you want to eat fish as your protein source and that sits well with your beliefs, knock yourself out - just don't tell me that fish are vegetables. :nemo:

8O 8O 8O

WOW! I guess vegetables CAN be smart! And here I thought the venus flytrap was the smartest(if you consider triggered movement, to get a meal, smart, anyway.) HEY, Maybe fish are related to that seaweed that floats all over the place! They're BOTH slimy, get hooks, are caught by fishermen, etc.... And the japanese may use them both for sushi! :lol:

Hopefully, you guys know I am kidding!

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 4:52 pm

I shall never eat a vegetable again as they´re too smart. Instead I´ll grow my own sushi - as fish and seaweed seem make a perfect, naturally grown sandwich - a two-in-one.
Lastly I shall enjoy my very first bottle of penguin milk :D
(Also joking)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 5:04 pm

Penguins are birds?

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2016, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Since "animal" is a word we use to categorize some creatures which we call "alive", it denotes a human constructed category. There exists no platonic ideal definition of animal. Hence, if they choose not to label a fish an "animal" unless they have specified in some way characteristics which an entity must possess to be an animal which fish also possess, the classification while inconsistent with common language use of the word "animal" is potentially viable.

Nah, "animal" is indeed a distinct scientific category of life. There are indeed characteristics an entity must possess to be an animal, which fish also possess:
--Eukaryotic and multicellular
--They are heterotrophic
--lack rigid cell walls like plants have
--motile (independently mobile) at least some part of their life.

Non-animal things are plants, fungus, single-celled organisms, or inanimate objects.

The less similar a certain animal is from a mammal, the more sympathy I have for someone getting confused, but I definitely expect anyone to know the vertebrates (anything with spine/bones) are animals. Well, it's okay if they don't know it, as long as they don't confidently assert otherwise.