Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 4:11 pm

Sometimes, but usually not.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 5:19 pm

What kinds of trends? Fashion, pop culture, music, movies, tv?

I'll vaguely follow fashion, but put my own twist on it - I'm studying fashion design in school anyway, and people take me more seriously if I'm well-dressed, which I don't understand... it's more about what's in your head than what you wear, anyway. I'll only follow trends if I like them, and extend them far past the point when they become unfashionable.

As for everything else, I ignore it and just consume what I like. It's better to stay true to yourself.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 5:20 pm

Yet even the most obscure things can eventually become trendy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2008, 6:14 pm

No, and have no interest in doing so. If something makes sense I will do it... trends normally do not make sense.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 7:18 pm

If I follow a trend, it is because it is something I want to be involved in. Other than that, no.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 8:03 pm

i rarely pick up on them until they're almost done, and even then i'm not really interested in them.

Nutterbug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2008, 8:08 pm

I'm too old to be hip anyways.

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2008, 10:12 pm

I like to be AWARE of the trends.

Let's say it's clothing. I know what does and doesn't look good on my body. So that I'm not going to follow a trend that has nothing but items that will look HORRIBLY on me. Things that wouldn't suit me.

But, as trends and seasons come and go, there ARE things that I DO like, have always liked, and probably always will like. So THAT is when I select items that are my kinds of clothing.

Following color trends is a very good thing to, that is to learn what colors are coming into fashion. Home designs, clothing, etc. If something it out of season and not part of a trend, good luck finding that color. You won't find it. Not in kitchen accessories. Not in socks. You just won't find it.

BUT, if the colors you LOVE come into season or become part of a color trend, THEN you need to pick up those items. That's the only time you'll find certain items.

The best example is to think of Santa stuff in June. You don't see it. Ha! You don't see Halloween stuff at Easter. You don't see winter parkas on the first day of summer.

Observe the trends, and know yourself and what you need and what is good for you. You do not need to imitate the trends at all, though, if they have no interest to you, if you don't like the colors or the styles, don't buy them. That would be foolish and a waste of money.

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 10:16 pm

Im the trend setter Every one just follows me

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 10:19 pm

The only trendy thing I did, was buy an ipod, but, that was to shut the rest of the world off

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 10:22 pm

Follow me Exterminator we'll make a great team :D

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2008, 10:25 pm

I don't follow ... I make them ... yup ... that's right 8)

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 8:03 am

SIXLUCY wrote:
Im the trend setter Every one just follows me

i know someone who just opened a store called "trendsetters" it's really just gangsta clothing, a trend that's been around for a while. good name i guess, doesn't fit the store though.

TRUE wrote:
Let's say it's clothing. I know what does and doesn't look good on my body. So that I'm not going to follow a trend that has nothing but items that will look HORRIBLY on me. Things that wouldn't suit me.

i think that's the most important thing when it comes to clothing. i guess the fact that i'm not up on current fashion might affect my opinion, but when i look at a girl i don't care if she's dressed in whatever the new fashion is, i really just care if she's wearing something that looks flattering on her. i don't really get the point of trends, but i don't really care about getting what's new and hot so i guess they aren't for me. i'm not the kind of person who goes out to get the new gadget, i wait a week or so before seeing a movie (unless it's batman, saw that one opening day) i just don't get excited over things, i'm more excited by events or people.

RustyShackleford
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2008, 8:11 am

I sometimes find that trends adjust to include something I just do anyway. For instance a few years ago there seemed to be a huge surge in guys wearing flip flops in the UK. I had already been wearing them for years before because I like to have my feet out and avoid shoes where possible difference was I tend to wear them all year round.

Another one was the 80's metal resurgence a while ago when people that had never before been interested in 80's metal suddenly started listening to Iron Maiden. I have always liked 80's metal and always will.