'The Speed of Dark' a good book? (Autism and Cure sci-fi)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 8:49 pm

information from wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Speed_of_Dark_(Novel)

I acquired this book recently, and you can off thepiratebay.org under the 'Sci-fi and Fantasy Library' under Elizabeth Moon (the author)

then there's Amazon (also more info on the book, the wiki article isn't too good)
http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Dark-Elizab ... 0345447557

What do you think? I'll be reading it soon.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 9:36 pm

Sounds interesting. Probably shouldn't be asking this, but on Piratebay, in the sci-fi/fantasy library, how do I go about getting just that book? I don't really want to download 6 gig of illegal literature just to get that one book. (Note: I do intend to buy a copy of this book, but I am impatient and so will begin to read it from this source. I typically hold copyright law and intellectual property in very high regard)

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 9:40 pm

Orwell wrote:
Sounds interesting. Probably shouldn't be asking this, but on Piratebay, in the sci-fi/fantasy library, how do I go about getting just that book? I don't really want to download 6 gig of illegal literature just to get that one book.

you can't, the closest thing you can do is go and select the books Elizabeth Moon ('Moon, Elizabeth') wrote. They're RAR files/Those are only ~28 MB

EDIT 2: I forgot, are you using utorrent? utorrent allows you to select the books you want (the guy uploaded them as RARs organized by author)

Quote:
(Note: I do intend to buy a copy of this book, but I am impatient and so will begin to read it from this source. I typically hold copyright law and intellectual property in very high regard)

why, dude. you know the saying, **** the RIAA and MPAA :P

Don't feel bad about doing it, man ^_^

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 9:46 pm

Warsie wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Sounds interesting. Probably shouldn't be asking this, but on Piratebay, in the sci-fi/fantasy library, how do I go about getting just that book? I don't really want to download 6 gig of illegal literature just to get that one book.

you can't, the closest thing you can do is go and select the books Elizabeth Moon ('Moon, Elizabeth') wrote. They're RAR files and I haven't even looked through them

Well, how do I do that?

Quote:
why, dude. you know the saying, **** the RIAA and MPAA :P

Don't feel bad about doing it, man ^_^
[/quote]
I prefer to avoid theft, regardless of who I'm stealing from. I can appease my conscience in this instance because I do intend to buy a copy of the book later. But a discussion on the ethics of internet-based piracy probably belongs in another forum, so I will say no more in this thread.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 9:51 pm

Orwell wrote:
Well, how do I do that?

if you're using utorrent, when you click the .torrent and open the .torrent file with utorrent, it gives you a list of torrents to download.

Quote:
I prefer to avoid theft, regardless of who I'm stealing from. I can appease my conscience in this instance because I do intend to buy a copy of the book later. But a discussion on the ethics of internet-based piracy probably belongs in another forum, so I will say no more in this thread.

okay.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 10:35 pm

This book sounds amazing and broaches a lot of the things I think about AS. I will be buying it soon...thanks for the info. I think I might by a copy for my boss who has an aapie nephew (and a lt of traits herself...maybe she will be able to recognize herself as I think she is miserable and indenial about her AS traits.)

Thanks for sharing. 8)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 11:23 pm

Cool!
It was published in 2003...and IS available from my local Library!
I'll pick it up after work, IF I can get off WP!
:D

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 8:23 am

No. It's not a good book. Several reasons.