Maynard one of my favorite music artists

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

loudmouth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2008, 9:51 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtYoUR44QsY[/youtube]

Maynard has generally benn very good with arangement but i especially like the stffu by Puscifer, especially with sourgrapes it's just so out there but still organized it's simotaniously disturbing, beautuful and haunting. who else tends to like Maynard in general as music artist?

Glasscutter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2008, 1:16 am

Shame he's not making more work in Tool and Perfect Circle.

Genius, who likes making wine. :lol:
He makes the most genius thought provoking songs.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 2:09 am

I've admired MJK for as long as I've been listening to contemporary music. He's one of a very small handful of musicians in the industry today who actually writes intelligent, creative, insightful lyrics, and his vocal abilities are absolutely astounding. Also, I've seen him live twice now (once with APC, once with Tool), and he is a real showman. For the longest time, Tool seemed to me to be the only recent band that mattered, and even though I've found a few others since, it's still without a doubt one of the few acts with substantial material.

Of course, the tradeoff for Tool fans getting great material is that it takes time-- an average of 5 years now between albums. I know it's wishful thinking, but it would be nice to hear a new one before 2011.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 6:48 pm

Definitely one of the best artists of the last decades. His lyrics are of an incredibly high level, he is vocally very pure (almost unseen in the metal genre) and he is charismatic beyond compare. I adore the man. Mainly an APC fan though (see my fan forum www.apcfans.com - needs new members as it has been quite inactive after a few registrations in the start)

I am not too wild about Puscifer though, but that is clearly just a hobby he is doing while preparing for more work with Tool and hopefully APC. I doubt he will ever consider Puscifer as a full time band like the other bands he's involved with. I think a new Tool album will not be too far away.

Several of my all-time favourite songs were written by Maynard: Wings for Marie, Stinkfist (Tool), Brena, The Hollow (APC)

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

loudmouth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2008, 10:13 pm

Yeah while I like all of his projects out of his two main projects APC is my personal fav of those 2, I Personally like Gravity, and vanishing. As for Puscifer I love all of the music from it from the better known songs Rev 22:20 and Undertaker, to sour grapes and everything in between.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 1:53 pm

If anyone is considering himself a fan of APC, please know you're welcome at apcfans.com (maybe with a few active members it can get going really, because the first members all became inactive too rapidly)

The main reason for me to prefer APC is the ethereal element which I miss a bit in Tool's music. Especially on Mer de Noms that ethereal element is very heavily present (just listen to the intro of Orestes or Brena for example). Also, I like Billy Howerdel's guitar playing a lot, he is another reason for me to put APC first. I know most Tool fans will mainly say the same about Danny Carey being a unique drummer, but without denying that I don't see why Josh Freese would be any less good. In terms of artwork and the whole atmosphere of the band I also love the mysteriousness of APC, the darkness of Tool is good as well but in APC I sort of find more challenge in uncovering the whole portrait.

But well, maybe we should not compare too much, having one band member in common doesn't make the bands too comparable.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 7:03 pm

I looooove APC, like Tool, and hate Puscifer. I found "V is for Vagina" to be the worst album I willingly listened to last year...utterly boring and uncreative and a total waste of his talent. And I liked the Puscifer songs that were on the Underworld soundtracks, but even they were remixed for that album to conform to its mediocrity.

Glasscutter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2008, 8:15 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
If anyone is considering himself a fan of APC, please know you're welcome at apcfans.com (maybe with a few active members it can get going really, because the first members all became inactive too rapidly)

The main reason for me to prefer APC is the ethereal element which I miss a bit in Tool's music. Especially on Mer de Noms that ethereal element is very heavily present (just listen to the intro of Orestes or Brena for example). Also, I like Billy Howerdel's guitar playing a lot, he is another reason for me to put APC first. I know most Tool fans will mainly say the same about Danny Carey being a unique drummer, but without denying that I don't see why Josh Freese would be any less good. In terms of artwork and the whole atmosphere of the band I also love the mysteriousness of APC, the darkness of Tool is good as well but in APC I sort of find more challenge in uncovering the whole portrait.

But well, maybe we should not compare too much, having one band member in common doesn't make the bands too comparable.

I would join.

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2008, 4:34 pm

Maynard is the f*ckin' man. And so on, so forth.

Glasscutter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2008, 1:30 am

He hates the wasys rockstars are worshipped you know. I like how he attacked a noobie fan in Hooker With A Penis who said he were OGT (orginal tool gangsta) but recently only bought Undertow back in 94. Funny song :lol:

Hooker with a penis lyrics 8)

I met a boy wearing vans, 501s, and a
Dope beastie t, nipple rings, and
New tattoos that claimed that he
Was ogt,
From 92,
The first ep.

And in between
Sips of coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin out,
Layin down,
Suckin up
To the man.

Well now Ive got some
A-dvice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger
You should know that
Im the man,

And if Im the man,
Then you're the man, and
Hes the man as well so you can
Point that f****n finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what Ive sold you,
Dumb f**k.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip s**t,
And you bought one.

So Ive got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger
You should know that
Im the man,
If Im the f****n man
Then you're the f****n man as well
So you can
Point that f****n finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what Ive sold you,
Dumb f**k.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip s**t,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on tv
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
f**k you, buddy.

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2008, 11:03 pm

Longtime Maynard/Tool fan. Got the first APC album, it's good but a little light for my tastes. Not familiar with Puscifer. I acquire new music at a glacial pace. I'm still a dinosaur who won't download.
I did enjoy the collabs with the Melvins and Lustmord.

GrandTheftDodo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2008, 2:45 pm

Maynard is painfully overrated as a person.
He's a arrogant, egotistical, overly worshipped as a Christ figure by most Tool and APC fans, and his voice isn't what it used to be.

I do however still love Tool and APC, but jesus, I cannot stand the man.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 4:51 pm

Why?

Personally I have an incredible respect for him. It is really about the arts for him. He avoids the celebrity life and lives rather reclusive, in interviews and lyrics he shows a great intelligence and care for what happens in the world, he is a very devote father, has some very well thought off political views, ... In my opinion he is a great artist but a fantastic person as well.