Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 2:36 pm

Seeing how the parents have to sign a permisson form in order for their children to recieve that punishment, it doesn't seem to be awful to me. People are too sensitive these days about getting spanked.

Quote:
In his research, Riak found that within the United States, seven of the 10 states with the highest rates of school paddling were also among the states with the top 10 highest rates of lynching during the slavery era.

What does that statement have anything to do with the rest of the article? Slavery was a long time ago.

Three years!

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 3:31 pm

I think corporal punishment in schools is a good idea. It's better that discipline is learned during the formative years than later as an adult, with the police and prison system. It sounds cruel, I know, but society is faling apart from a want of discipline and respect, it seems. The Bible says, "Spareth the Rod, Spolieth the Child." But it may not be referring to a literal rod in every case. I think it just means to emphasize the important role discipline has in child-rearing.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 3:54 pm

When I was a child, paddling was a common form of punishment, and when given the choice between paddling, detention, or writing sentences, I picked paddling every single time. Pain is just another feeling, and it is over with in a minute. Even when I had a teacher that knew how to properly swing a board, I was on my way, and the sting subsided before I return to my desk.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 4:05 pm

Often I wil silently yearn for the harsher sterner justice of my ancestors' day. Mine is a generation for whom punishment is a joke. The law whispers where it should roar, and roars where it should whisper.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 4:34 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Often I wil silently yearn for the harsher sterner justice of my ancestors' day. Mine is a generation for whom punishment is a joke. The law whispers where it should roar, and roars where it should whisper.

Hmm. I think I actually did worse with corporal punishment. My parents never did it but my aunt did when I was at her house and then she would just beat the s**t out of me for things I couldn't control.

I think it's a good response to physical bullying etc. but not to focus problems, cutting classes, things like that.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 5:47 pm

Corporal punishment can't discriminate if it is to be effective.

BTW, did you learn your lesson? :twisted:

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 6:03 pm

I think corporal punishment should be left to parents, if anything. Use detentions.

On sabbatical...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 6:06 pm

Quatermass wrote:
I think corporal punishment should be left to parents, if anything. Use detentions.

Detentions don't usually deter any kind of bad behaviour.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 6:14 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

Detentions don't usually deter any kind of bad behaviour.

Neither does coroporal punishment.

Not in my experience, anyway. I personally consider it abuse.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 9:51 pm

Aurore wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Hmm. I think I actually did worse with corporal punishment. My parents never did it but my aunt did when I was at her house and then she would just beat the sh** out of me for things I couldn't control.

I think it's a good response to physical bullying etc. but not to focus problems, cutting classes, things like that.

Pretty much the same thing here. On one occasion my dad hit me in the head with a 4x4 board until I blacked out. He kicked me a few times and then went to bed. My mom waited until he was asleep, then took me to the hospital.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Pretty much the same thing here. On one occasion my dad hit me in the head with a 4x4 board until I blacked out. He kicked me a few times and then went to bed. My mom waited until he was asleep, then took me to the hospital.

This is not corporal punishment. This is just cruelty. :(

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 12:33 am

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

This is not corporal punishment. This is just cruelty. :(

yah. that's cruelty.

Corporal punishment?

well. Just when the South couldn't reverse itself back to the Salem Witch Trial Era.....(and no offense to anyone from the South if I mock the South) any further then it already has with all it's issues and such, but it seems that the South hasn't gotten out of it's "We Lost" issues with the Civil war, and while i know this has nothing to do with that, it seems a tad bit.......well ironic, that they want to use methods used back in the 1800's and before that to remind kids that we grownups (I'm 20 one month and 9 days til I turn 21, so I think I count when I say this) are in charge, and that we will use extraordinary measures to make you comply......Yeah. Right. No parent is going to sign that, and if they did, then they've got more issues in the school board and people doing this idea have.

My point is, that if you want to discipline a student or child, make them stay after school and do manual labor around the school, like the janitor does, or have them do forced community service. Too many kids these days are getting away with a warning and that's that. that has got to stop. trust me, at least my parents raised me right, they spanked me (up to age 8) when I did wrong, and I learned my lessons (could of been ten, not sure) and I turned out fine. Leave the repremanding to the parents, the school officials have too much on their hands as is with poor preformance scores and tests not being the way they should to be turning into police as well.

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2008, 7:39 am

I think it's about time they taught those kids some respect. I'm sorry but a good spanking (we really aren't talking torture here just a rather sore behind) will do wonders for their character and their respect of authority.

Larree
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2008, 8:23 am

I remember corporal punishment. I got swatted more than once! I think it should be implemented nationwide. As soon as teachers and principals lost the right to discipline troublemaking kids, our society took a huge dive down the tubes. Bring back the paddle!

roguetech
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2008, 9:25 am

The schools my children went to (in Georgia, as a year ago) also had corporal punishement. However, you had to not only sign an agreement, but you also had to be directly notified and agree to the specific instance.

Quatermass wrote:
With the above system, it was simply a means for the school to be a surrogate for being up to the parents. If a child commits an infraction deserving corporal punishment, the school can administer it in a more immediate (and therefore effective) manner. We signed the permission form, but if it had ever come to it, we probably would not have given permission, and would have opted to administer punishment ourselves.

Gamester wrote:
My point is, that if you want to discipline a student or child, make them stay after school and do manual labor around the school, like the janitor does, or have them do forced community service.
Making a child stay after school punishes the parents (who have to make arrangements to pick the kid up), as well as placing a burden on the teachers who have to watch the child. Doing manual labor is not only illegal (I can hear it now... "Georgia school institutes child chain gang"), and has the same issues, except would require greater supervision.

If you say to leave the punishment up to the parents, then the school should not be allowed to punish a child in any way. If you claim it's cruel for a school to use corporeal punishment (with the parent's agreement), then you are claiming parents should not have the right.