What do you think of misunderstandings?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 3:14 pm

What do you think or feel when there is a misunderstanding about something that has happened to you? Read on below, I don't want you to misunderstand me!

I hate telling people important things about me, because they'll misunderstand it. They'll always associate their own thoughts and feelings to what I tell them.
But I can't stand the idea that anyone may connect what I did not think or felt with something that has happened to me!

I go bonkers if somebody thinks I felt miserable, when I actually felt melancholic. Or if somebody is under the impression that I dislike pink which I like! Or if they think that I have siblings, which I don't. Or if they think I know something I don't.

I hate such untrue assumptions! They make me have mini-meltdowns all the time.

Do you mind if somebody, no matter who it is, thinks you dislike coke when you actually like it?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 4:08 pm

am hate some misunderstandings more than others,some misunderstandings have ended with support staff attacking am,once, it started out as am needing to finish off usual thursday routine,by putting quilt back on bed,but the staff said she was going to put the hoover on [which was never done at night,and set am off],and if am didnt get out now am would suffer.
she then launched a rant about am wanting own way all the time,and that am cannot get own way so that is why she is choosing to do the hoovering then.

am was then blamed for her trying to attack am,they said am was close to her meaning am wanted to attack her which was crap,and she was punching and pushing am all over the office and screaming.
the next morning,am was forced to apologise,and didnt get one back,the manager explained to her about she should know better with am having autism and having strong routines,as well as not knowing that getting close means want a fight.
she said she accepted it all and will try to learn more about autism and am.
as soon as she gets out of the room,am hear her saying to another staff-she gets all the control,she has this whole home run around her etc [crap,again].
am have just found out that they have written in am files the not understanding getting up close means wanting to fight part under challenging behavior-since when is it challenging behavior when am not challenging them?

-So,am hate misunderstandings like that,ones that really affect am,minor ones that do not affect am am not really bothered about anymore,am do not have the strength for them when have got the rest to educate.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 5:28 pm

It's hard for me not to be bothered by even small untrue things.

But you're totally right to only get worked up about big things, KoR.

That staff sounds weird. Just who's wanting to hoover at night? That's nothing even the average person would do, because even people who don't get meltdowns by the noise are at least bothered by it.

Sounds like she reads all the wrong things into what you do and even how you move. I can't believe people are allowed to be as ignorant in such a job.

Somebody getting my favourite drink wrong is nothing against that, of course. I hope, but I doubt I'll be able to change my attitude soon though. It annoys me that the small details bother me so much. Maybe I just need to get a little older.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 6:04 pm

Sora wrote:
I hate telling people important things about me, because they'll misunderstand it. They'll always associate their own thoughts and feelings to what I tell them.

Idea of other people imposing their definitions of things upon me totally bugs me out, though I know it's inevitable, that's how people seem to be (whether they mean to be, know it or not).

I can't help but to do it, too-in terms of having only my own reference points with which to connect information about other people. However, I don't think I go around telling others who, what, or how they are-so I don't push people into categories as much as I get pushed into them myself.
Sora wrote:
It's hard for me not to be bothered by even small untrue things.

One part is the incorrect information (other person having wrong file page in mind when thinking of you), another part is if they don't care or don't believe (that they've got you pegged wrong). Some things (misapprehensions by other folks towards me) aren't bothersome-if not "integral" to my identity-but plenty of the "minor details" get me worked up into a mental knot.

Misunderstandings, misinterpretations about "important" personal stuff can lead to major interpersonal problems (and much misery), in my experience. "Snowball" effect, self-perpetuating, escalating situations can arise from trivial mistakes, so I fear committing errors.