Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dadman
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2008, 6:34 pm

nightbender wrote:
As for him being dumb he has two phds, one in nutrition and the other in epidimeology.
He basically founded the alternative medicine movemnet

If he in fact has two PHD's, it's amazing how little he has to show for it. He's a sensationalist, and he knows how to profit from being a hate-monger, nothing more.

As for him founding alternative medicine, I think I'd sooner accept that Al Gore invented the internet.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 8:33 pm

dadman wrote:
nightbender wrote:
He basically founded the alternative medicine movemnet

As for him founding alternative medicine, I think I'd sooner accept that Al Gore invented the internet.

And if that claim is true, it only detracts from Savage's credibility anyways.

GoatMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2008, 11:57 pm

Savage on Autism.com

I'm a pro-Savage Nation guy, myself. There's nothing better for me than listening to what's new in San Fran-Freako, and how stupid humans can be.

The main thing you have to understand with Savage's mindset is that he's falling back to the whole "blue collar" mentality that so many people are longing for, where solutions are simple, and nostalgia over science is praised.

While I still enjooy listening to Savage, Lars Larson, etc, all of their viewpoints come from their religious faith, or "old fashioned" views. Myself, my conservative views come from deductive reasoning, and not some convoluted system of relying on the past. There are so many conservative answers out there, and they would be much more apparent to the population if a logical argument was made for them, instead of this "working class hero crap" wasn't used as the promotion.

However, moronic NTs flock to that emotional appeal, rather than logic.

And it's the NTs who both misdiagnose the Autistic spectrum, as well as bully those who have it.

Now, here's the funny part. The kind of conservative, Federalist ideas Savage pushes for are EXACTLY what we in the Aspie community need. If you think about it, the basic rules of social behavior that Savage, Larson, Hannity, and the other conservative radio hosts want in the world, the old societal methods, are based on respect, manners, and steadfast rules that do not change based on the person. I'm not saying that those rules should be used because we can't understand the flawed, modern world.

The societal norms they promote are those beliefs that hazing someone for being different is wrong, and that actions, not personality, are the only factors of value in determining a person's worth.

Now, only if people in the conservative movement could get their heads out of their you know where to separate old fashioned concepts such as morality do not fall in like with Reba, NASCAR, and "Get 'er done!" It takes a certain intellectual capacity which the "good ol' boys" kind of lack in order to understand the significance of the values they hold due to meaningless tradition.

Study like a scholar
Act like a gentleman
Dress like a soldier

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 5:58 am

For every problem there's a solution that's simple, elegant, and wrong. :)

- Emerson

HolyAtheist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2008, 3:49 pm

Micheal Savage should be fired, he most certainly deserves it for this.

I'm not saying that because of what he said, but because of what could potentially come about as a result of what he said. Simply put, this isn't just a case of some radio shock-jock spewing hot air like it was when Don Imus made his little "nappy headed hos" remark. Micheal Savage misinformed his listeners about an actual disorder, some equally ignorant hack out there might actually take him seriously and start spouting the same s**t towards anyone who has autism or children with autism. THAT is what he should be fired for, he should have known better.

Being offensive is one thing, being irresponsible and misinforming people about a very real neurological disorder is entirely another.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 4:07 pm

GoatMan wrote:
There's nothing better for me than listening to what's new in San Fran-Freako, and how stupid humans can be.

lol, so you hate peoples' beliefs and freedoms then?

Quote:
The kind of conservative, Federalist ideas Savage pushes for are EXACTLY what we in the Aspie community need. If you think about it, the basic rules of social behavior that Savage, Larson, Hannity, and the other conservative radio hosts want in the world, the old societal methods, are based on respect, manners, and steadfast rules that do not change based on the person. I'm not saying that those rules should be used because we can't understand the flawed, modern world.

Oh please; "respect, manners, and steadfast rules that do not change based on the person." is code for moralist BS, contradictory and evil laws and morals that are forced on your life.

Quote:

The societal norms they promote are those beliefs that hazing someone for being different is wrong,
and that actions, not personality, are the only factors of value in determining a person's worth.

lol wut? I've seen otherwise and many others have too, especially in the conservative parts of the US South (I remember some people saying the US Midwest is 'as bad' but I don't see it)

The thing they stand for are control and suppression of freedom.

EDIT: I also find it odd and funny given you have an avatar of an Earth Alliance pilot from Gundam Seed: Stargazer. I wonder what that implies about your opinion of the Earth Alliance :P

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 4:55 pm

Warsie wrote:
Oh please; "respect, manners, and steadfast rules that do not change based on the person." is code for moralist BS, contradictory and evil laws and morals that are forced on your life.

Plus, the "do not change based on the person" part is a surefire way to end up creating a sort of under-caste of people who can't conform to them. (Many of whom will be autistic.)

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2008, 7:13 pm

Arr, I don't think I'll comment on the conservatism bit. I might start seething.

Anyway, I think Orwell brought up a really good point. If this was meant as sarcasm or a joke or something, Savage would have said so, rather than trying to defend his remarks. This means that he really believes it, or at least is sticking by it as a factual statement. I cannot stand when people spew lies and package it as gospel. Misinformation is abhorrent to me, people that do it intentionally are repugnant. Autistics really don't need this sort of negative publicity. I would rather have to explain to people what AS is than have to overcome stereotypes as well.

dadman
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2008, 3:02 pm

GoatMan wrote:
Savage on Autism.com

The kind of conservative, Federalist ideas Savage pushes for are EXACTLY what we in the Aspie community need. If you think about it, the basic rules of social behavior that Savage, Larson, Hannity, and the other conservative radio hosts want in the world, the old societal methods, are based on respect, manners, and steadfast rules that do not change based on the person.

Goatman, conservatives around the world use pretty much this same argument in regard to holding to the "old ideas" of fairness, respect, and adherence to rules. You hit on a very important point when you mention rules. That is perhaps the biggest point of contention in this particular argument; who's rules do we use? When you look what conservatives put in place when they have the opportunity, the fairness, and respect apply ONLY to the rule followers, and those rules are always designed to favor ONE culture, race, religious group (or neuro-group?).

Conservatives in the U.S. promote the "rugged individualist" idea, wherein everyone has the same chance to to be successful using their own skills and abilities. The rules in this rugged individualist vision are based on a set of beliefs, and those beliefs are based on those old ideas you mentioned. That's a big problem because these old ideas are almost always tied to the majority group's ideas of morality and standards of behavior. This majority group creates the rules to favor themselves, and changing those rules is difficult.

If you believe that we can create fairness through obedience to rules laid down by an authority that is convinced it has a command of what is truly right or wrong, you will be happy with the conservative view. But progressives aren't so convinced that any one group or belief system has all the answers and they express this by questioning and challenging almost everything. That, in my opinion, makes progressives a far better bet for Aspies and auties than conservatism could ever be. Progressives do a much better job of levelling the playing field, just look at what they've done for people with physical handicaps. Those wheelchair ramps, wide doors, and parking spots would have never come around if not for progressive ideas. Aspies have accessibility problems too, not physical ones, but ones that involve commuinication and socialization. I know talented aspies that can't land jobs because they don't present the "proper" way in job interviews, and because they have quirks that NT's don't feel comfortable with. Conservatives won't do anything to address these issues of fairness and acceptance, progressives are far more likely to, at some point. In fact, conservatives are far more likely to hold to the older ideas expressed by Savage - ideas like judging a kid's behavior as always willful, his screams as simple selfish attempts to get attention. If the kid happens to be autistic, well that's a non-issue, because guys like Savage don't believe it even exists. To believe would require that they accept someone different than themselves, or god forbid, do something meaningful to help change the status quo so these kids have a better chance to participate in society.

AliasPseudonym
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 9:30 pm

Essentially, the uproar over Savage/Wiener is because he's an as*hole, not just toward autistic people but toward a number of people groups. And he's an as*hole on the radio, broadcasting his views to millions of people, some of whom are also as*holes. Those as*holes are having their views affirmed by a popular radio personality, thus encouraging their assholeish behavior. Stopping that's worth destroying a career based on offending people and spreading reprehensible views, in my opinion.

And don't defend him by saying it's his job to spread venom. He could have been a weatherman or something. He chose to be hateful instead.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2008, 6:52 pm

Sometimes I worry that things that people say -like what Mr. Savage says -will be listened to by less informed people. Personally I am offended by what he has said, but at the same time he's just a guy on tv who is paid to say outlandish things and look like an ass.

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2008, 4:03 pm

He is not being sarcastic; he won't apologize and no, we are not the olney ones offended by his words. Two elected officials, both parents of autistic children, had harsh words for Savage's remarks. I mean, who does he think he is? No one has a right to say things like that even if they have PHDs. His words are so hurtful I cryed. its like saying to someone in a weelchair that they just want pity! :shameonyou:

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 5:18 pm

It's not just people on AFF who were offended by his comments, there are parents of autistic children who were as well, and who have contacted the advertisers on his show. Personally, I think he's an a-hole, but he does have the First Amendment right to spew his ideas. If people are offended, they can just change the station when he comes on.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 5:33 pm

Orwell wrote:
nightbender wrote:
i acutally i was listening to micheal savage, i like him

What is it with Catholics and liking Savage? The only Savage fans I know are Catholic.

Quote:
and his comments the other day were totally sarcastic and not meant to be taken seriously.

Bull. You're just making crap up here. There was no indication, anywhere in those comments, of sarcasm. And if it was only intended as sarcasm and not to be taken seriously, he would have clarified that rather than defending such statements.

Quote:
What he was really trying to get at that things like adhd and autism are way overdiagnosed,

All indicators seem to be that autism is severely underdiagnosed, and Savage didn't mention ADHD. He only talked about autistics being brats who haven't been told to grow up.

Quote:
that the medical/pharmaceutical establisment is way perpetuating a crime by drugging children with potent mind altering drugs for really questionable things when social invertations would work better,

Where did he say that? He never mentioned drugs. He also never mentioned social interventions (insulting a child does not count as social intervention) He just brought back a lousy version of the refrigerator mother theory.

Quote:
and has in general become corrupt and out of controll wich i totally agree with.

Again, when did he ever say that? Oh right, never, you're just making crap up.

And of course, he also claimed that black people are faking asthma to get government benefits. :roll: #(^&i@#$ moron.

Quote:
btw Micheal Savage had brother who was autistic who was committed to a mental ward and was killed by the treatements he was forced to take.

You're making stuff up again. The diagnosis of Savage's brother was never specified, you're just assuming it was autism.

im not, i just happen to think exactly like he does and am able to read between the lines of what he is saying, so i am able to hear what he actually means even if doesnt actually spell everything out word for word.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:03 pm

nightbender wrote:
im not, i just happen to think exactly like he does and am able to read between the lines of what he is saying, so i am able to hear what he actually means even if doesnt actually spell everything out word for word.

Right. :roll: What you're doing is called projection. You aren't reading between the lines. There was no indication of sarcasm (and if it was in jest, he would not continue to defend such statements) there was no mention of medication whatsoever. You are not "reading between the lines," you are projecting your views onto Savage. Your views (while still wrong/inaccurate in several places) are more easily defensible than Savage's, so you seem to be trying to replace his views with your own so that you can argue on his behalf, presumably because you have already formed some kind of loyalty towards this nut case. But Savage was saying that autism is a way to defraud the welfare system, just like he believes asthma was.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:42 pm

Orwell wrote:
nightbender wrote:

Right. :roll: What you're doing is called projection. You aren't reading between the lines. There was no indication of sarcasm (and if it was in jest, he would not continue to defend such statements) there was no mention of medication whatsoever. You are not "reading between the lines," you are projecting your views onto Savage. Your views (while still wrong/inaccurate in several places) are more easily defensible than Savage's, so you seem to be trying to replace his views with your own so that you can argue on his behalf, presumably because you have already formed some kind of loyalty towards this nut case. But Savage was saying that autism is a way to defraud the welfare system, just like he believes asthma was.

dont think so, i am just really high intiutive, though some dimished by recent ufforntate experience. ANd am not wrong, just rather having the building to contemplate, defend and articuluate my positions has compromised by forces i could not control.