Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 11:24 am

I'm below the "poverty line", whatever that means, and I'm happy as a pig in mud as long as I can buy a book to read now and again.

If I had wealth, I wouldn't have a need for it other than giving it all to people I care for.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 11:33 am

Sorenna wrote:
No. Poverty, if mastered, is assurance of being separated from fluff. It was lauded by the Romans, believe it or not.

Do mean THE Romans? The one's whose empire fell into decadence and decline over 2000 years ago, and then finally collapsed under its own corruption and immorality?

So much for making an appeal to authority...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 12:18 pm

The coolest millionaire I have ever heard of lived on a derelict old houseboat at a wharf near me. Nobody even knew he had that sort of money, until he died that is. If you judged him by appearance you'd think he wouldn't have had a penny to his name.
If I ever get wealthy I wanna be like that....I like fooling people.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2008, 1:52 pm

If we're having to live under capitalism, I'd like to get my bit for my efforts. I pride myself in not succumbing to advertisements, but I desire a lot if possible. I'd love to buy every musical instrument that interests me, get a library of books, films and music and experience the lot of it and to appear respectable at the same time, as well as keep a home in decent upkeep (while still retaining some modesty). Other than that though . . . !
But really, I find it difficult to imagine myself living in a well-off home in later life, though I'm not so good either at imagining living a working class life there. I sincerely seek my well-being over wealth, and the provision that I can help save the world . . .

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 2:08 pm

The only 'evil' thing that I could think of doing as a wealthy person is to ask of all those people who oh-so conveniently 'forgot' who I was when I needed help the most, "Where were you when I was homeless?"

Already, some of those folks from Michigan have contacted me to see if I would put them up while they looked for work here in California. But that doesn't surprise me, however. What never ceases to amaze me is that people expect me to give them a hand-out when they've refused to do the same for me in the past. It's as if they're trying to draw on an account that they've never put anything into.

I can't imaging what it would be like be wealthy and have to put up with that kind of crap.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 6:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
Do mean THE Romans? The one's whose empire fell into decadence and decline over 2000 years ago, and then finally collapsed under its own corruption and immorality?

So much for making an appeal to authority...

Hahaha! Point taken.......!

What I meant was that they were soooo corrupt, yet often the emperors and consuls were in total poverty. And often they seemed quite satisfied with that, to show their non-corruptedness!

Yes, people that are too satiated to even care about those in poverty bother me more than being poor. THe dr's that work in poor clinics and think they are doing "riff-raff" such a service when really they are just getting a grant to keep the clinic open- and treat the patients like sh*t.

Try being on Medicaid or Medicare when doctors refuse to take it.........welcome to the world of:

"You are bleeding from your kidneys? It is just a panic attack. Good Bye. NEXT!! !!"

True story....

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 7:46 pm

Sorenna wrote:
What I meant was that they were soooo corrupt, yet often the emperors and consuls were in total poverty. And often they seemed quite satisfied with that, to show their non-corruptedness!

Some of this is simply the influence of the Stoic philosophy in Rome rather than a trait of all Romans.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jul 2008, 7:48 pm

I'm not driven by money. I can live on very little. I don't need a lot of "things". But I would like to be able to help my kids and grandkids more. Make sure they have a safe car, for example, instead of driving around in a junker. If I ever came into a lot of money I would buy a big piece of land in the mountains and give all of my kids and grandkids a couple acres each with a cabin on it.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 9:49 pm

LCD wrote:
Are you driven by weath or do you suceed to be wealthy.
Are you jealous of those who are wealthy or sucessful or strive to be wealthy yourself?

Not much of a drive with me. I certainly am not jealous of the ritch either. nope. Wealth doesn't mean much to me. I really want a typical life instead of a ritch one.