Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 6:53 pm

Probably not a popular genre here on WP, but when I was a kid (and was only allowed to watch old movies carefully selected by my parents) my favorites were the old westerns in black and white. Like Red River, which was filmed in 1946 and released in 1948.

Now, 2 decades later, I don't remember any titles except for Red River, which I watched on a routine basis at a young age. During my adult life, I've only seen modern westerns like Dead Man (one of my favorites, but totally different from the old westerns, obviously).

Does anyone know enough about old westerns to recommend some especially good ones or ones that are considered classic / representative of the genre?

I'm craving this stuff like comfort food.

silly_rabbi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2008, 7:06 pm

Anything John Wayne, though cheesy, is good. Lessee some titles off the top of my head: The Alamo, The Sons of Katie Elder, How the West was Won, etc.

I particularly like the spaghetti westerns, especially the Clint Eastwood trilogy: A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

I loved, "Two Mules for Sister Sara", another Clint Eastwood one.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 7:13 pm

Good and cheesy is what I'm looking for, like a grilled cheese sandwich and greasy french fries covered in melted cheese!

I'll check out those spaghetti westerns with Clint Eastwood.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jul 2008, 8:18 pm

I recently bought "The Over-the-hill Gang Rides Again" on DVD at Wal Mart for only five bucks. This was a 1969 made-for-TV western in colour, but it reunited a bunch of the old western movie icon actors from the classic black and white days all into one picture. You might like it.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jul 2008, 8:42 pm

I loved this one old Western called "MacKenna's Gold" I'm pretty sure that was the title anyway. I loved that movie so much I set my alarm clock for 2 a.m. on a schoolnight so I could sneak down and watch it when it came on REALLY late once.
Just went searching and found this cast list. I did't remember who was in it. I was just a little kid. Have only seen it twice but it sure has stuck w/ me all these years. Also all the old Clint Eastwood movies also. Loved the musical him and Lee Marvin were in where they "shared" a wife. Can't remeber the name of it but sure LOVED it also. Clint trying to sing was funny even as a child.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cast (Cast overview, first billed only)

Gregory Peck ... MacKenna

Omar Sharif ... Colorado

Telly Savalas ... Sgt. Tibbs
Camilla Sparv ... Inga Bergmann
Keenan Wynn ... Sanchez
Julie Newmar ... Hesh-Ke
Ted Cassidy ... Hachita

Lee J. Cobb ... The Editor
Raymond Massey ... The Preacher
Burgess Meredith ... The Storekeeper
Anthony Quayle ... Older Englishman

Edward G. Robinson ... Old Adams

Eli Wallach ... Ben Baker
Eduardo Ciannelli ... Prairie Dog
Dick Peabody ... Avifa

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 12:41 am

Tonight, I ended up renting Red River (for nostalgia, just watched it and appreciated it in a whole new way) and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, which I'm about to watch.

I also rented some newer westerns: Dead Man (had to see it again) and The Proposition, which I have to see for reasons related to multiple interests of mine.

They said that for my $12, I could rent a 5th movie for no extra cost, so I got Don't Look Back, that Bob Dylan documentary that people keep telling me to watch. These are all 7 day rentals and the place is only a short walk from my apartment. I feel really lucky to have such a good local movie rental store!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 4:29 pm

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
is probably the western of all westerns ever done.

The Shadow Riders, a 1983 TV movie western
with Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot is funny for a western.

Recent westerns like Open Range,
Brokeback Mountain, and last fall's
remake of 3:10 to Yuma are excellent.
They are well-done and have great production values.

Is the western making a comeback? Elaborate next posters.