1980s Tomboys vs. Tomboys today

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ericc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2008, 10:50 pm

Sorry, I wasn't sure where to put this topic.

I typed this on Answers.Yahoo.com

"Difference between 1980s Tomboy and todays Tomboys?
It seems like in the 1980s, Tomboys were more boyish. But now Tomboy means a girly-girl that likes boy stuff instead of Girl who imitates a boy 24/7.

If that's the case, would you generaly call them both Tomboys and leave it at that or is there a speciffic term to seperate the two?"

It seems like no one is taking this research seriously. Most of the people on Answers.yahoo.com think I'm a joke or unnessasary.

Anyways, where's my examples of True Tomboys (a.k.a. The type that I would like to meet someday)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhzEzaYXxdo[/youtube]

Watts, Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3cz7xvdenc[/youtube]

Haruko, FLCL (2000)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8LqnPQEAN0[/youtube]

Tank Girl (1988 - 1995)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A8ApxnGc_U[/youtube]

Haruko and Tank Girl I think have the ENTP personality type according to the Myers Briggs Personality Test.

Watts seems to be a tie in between ENTP / ENFP.

I Love Tomboys a lot. I don't like feminine women and I'm straight so it's kind of strange.
I'm very sensitive and not very masculine and I always liked the idea of Tomboys liking to play rough with Wimps like me LOL ;)

Anyways, I always looked at Women in a different light than most. I always thought that they were masculine and intellegent then men and men should be the gental feminine ones.

For awhille, I kind of felt like I was screwed up but I feel it's a good thing that I'm starting to reconize what I like.

So can you help me with this research? Thank You. ;)

zshampo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2008, 9:50 am

i dont think you are screwed up. i always kind of felt the same way, but im a girl. i like sensitive guys and i am pretty tough and boyish for a girl. i cant really help with your research, but i just wanted to say i dont think you are messed up :)
-Zoe

Daran
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 10:13 am

ericc wrote:
I Love Tomboys a lot. I don't like feminine women and I'm straight so it's kind of strange.
I'm very sensitive and not very masculine and I always liked the idea of Tomboys liking to play rough with Wimps like me LOL ;)

I have always liked them. Feminine women seem like aliens to me, I see them but can't relate to them.
Unfortunately Tomboys are somewhat rare.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 11:03 am

When did Tomboy become a sexual classification, like Bears and Twinks and Trannies? I thought the very word was extinct from the language long before the eighties.

I mean, I get what you're saying about a specific personality type you find attractive, but it sorta sounds like you're saying you only get hot for lesbians, which is saying you can only allow yourself to desire the unattainable (see Chasing Amy). There's a reason Shaggy never hooked up with Thelma (aside from THC induced ED).

Before you hit REPLY, it's all sarcasm, I'm just messin' witcha, bro. Peace out.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 12:20 pm

I find tomboys quite attractive.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 1:11 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I find tomboys quite attractive.

If I was a lesbian or a guy, I'd likely have gone for a tomboy and I've been a tomboy since the late 70's, but I'm a female, I've always been rougher than most but I also kinda envy the more feminine women as I don't know how they can do it. I always have been more male-minded in nature and I can't stand ascribing labels from personality tests to people and judging them by it. It's way too superficial. Putting too much expectations on anyone generally means you want to be alone without saying it because what you want doesn't exist.

ericc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2008, 9:41 pm

I don't know what to do with this love on mine.

My fantasies is to be a greaser in the big City with a Tomboy to help me become more of a man and less like a whimp that I am. But all I really want is a Tomboy girlfriend who likes whimps like me and loves to play rough with me.

Some one to run to in times of trouble. Someone to give me stregth. I'm more of a follower than a leader.

God, It's like a need a strong man in my life but I'm straight to I need a strong Tomboy in my life.

You know what I mean?

Dangit, the Tomboy cult of the 1980s are pretty much gone and maybe there's an underground cult for Tomboys to be safe from the judgemental society, I don't know.

My other fantasy is a Tomboy to drive me away from my Parents house for a HOLE weekend just to get away and be with someone who I can relate to for once.

You know what I MEAN?

Where? What? Are the questions that I keep asking myself. Where can I meet these kinds of Tomboys and What kind of Tomboys are the examples that I gave out and what kind of Tomboys like to play rough with sensitive (can't help worrying and anxiety and is scared to be alone) whimps like me?

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 11:12 pm

I'd second zshampo's statements. Nothing wrong with what you like, not in the least. In fact, from what I've read so far, I'm sad that there aren't more people like you around. I don't think there aren't any more tomboys out there - I'd say I'm one of them in some ways, as a matter of fact! - Just more rare than girly-girls are.

My advice? You're in the Northeast, right? Go hang out in a town with an all-girl's school in it and visit at some point. I go to Smith College, where we're rather notorious for being butch and unfeminine in some circles. Sure, a lot of the more boyish-looking and acting girls are lesbians, but there's quite a few of them that just act and dress as such because they like to and they can without anyone blinking an eye. You might have some luck finding a girl to your liking around those schools. You'd definitely be a breath of fresh air in comparison to some of the creepy guys from other colleges in the area, if your posts are any indication!

Good luck to you soon. I've seen a lot of posts from you, both here and on AFF, and you seem like a good guy. :) I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for soon enough.

ericc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2008, 9:13 am

BokeKaeru wrote:
I'd second zshampo's statements. Nothing wrong with what you like, not in the least. In fact, from what I've read so far, I'm sad that there aren't more people like you around. I don't think there aren't any more tomboys out there - I'd say I'm one of them in some ways, as a matter of fact! - Just more rare than girly-girls are.

My advice? You're in the Northeast, right? Go hang out in a town with an all-girl's school in it and visit at some point. I go to Smith College, where we're rather notorious for being butch and unfeminine in some circles. Sure, a lot of the more boyish-looking and acting girls are lesbians, but there's quite a few of them that just act and dress as such because they like to and they can without anyone blinking an eye. You might have some luck finding a girl to your liking around those schools. You'd definitely be a breath of fresh air in comparison to some of the creepy guys from other colleges in the area, if your posts are any indication!

Good luck to you soon. I've seen a lot of posts from you, both here and on AFF, and you seem like a good guy. :) I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for soon enough.

That's, uh what kind of schools do you mean or colleges? All girl school you said? I hope going there isn't like stalking or anything.

And I wasn't sure what you ment by post compaired to creppy guys on the internet. I'm not like that at all.

Ever since I meet the first boyish girl in my life, I never looked at girls the same way again. But I have learned about social cues and how to see if they like me or not so I've learned to control myself awhille back. LOL

I don't know why I love Tomboys so much.

1. part is almost like a strong figure that I can run to in times of trouble.

But the real reason is it's someone who I can have male fun with without being imbarrest.

This fasinates me.

The Ananomy of a Women
but the mind of a man. ;)

Alaspi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:14 am

*raises hand* you must be talking about me. :lol:

although i don't like the term much, i'm not offended by it. it just confuses me a bit. i'm so boyish that people frequently mistake me for a guy...not just from my looks either as i refer to an earlier thread. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt68894.html <--- must be my manly mind

:D :D :D

you are not weird for liking tomboys. there is nothing screwed up or wrong about any of it. if anything, i would say you are more reasonable than some guys i know. you know what you like and have nothing to worry about.

in fact, there is an assisstant nurse here who matches your description quite well. i could go into detail but i might get myself in trouble. :twisted: how old are you? my mind is thinking of passing a few phone numbers around... i should shut up and take my nap now. geez. ignore me

Hugging is natural, organic, naturally sweet, free of pesticides and preservatives. Hugging contains no artificial ingredients. It's 100% wholesome. No calories, no caffeine, no nicotine.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 2:16 am

ericc wrote:
That's, uh what kind of schools do you mean or colleges? All girl school you said? I hope going there isn't like stalking or anything.

And I wasn't sure what you ment by post compaired to creppy guys on the internet. I'm not like that at all.

Ever since I meet the first boyish girl in my life, I never looked at girls the same way again. But I have learned about social cues and how to see if they like me or not so I've learned to control myself awhille back. LOL

I don't know why I love Tomboys so much.

1. part is almost like a strong figure that I can run to in times of trouble.

But the real reason is it's someone who I can have male fun with without being imbarrest.

This fasinates me.

The Ananomy of a Women
but the mind of a man. ;)

Yeah, I meant all-girl's colleges. And don't worry, a lot of guys show up on campus, either visiting family/friends, coming for events, or taking classes there, so you won't be too out of place, and so long as you're polite and not creepy, all should be well. :) From what you've said, that shouldn't be too hard at all. ^^

Have you been able to keep in contact with that first tomboy you knew that you mentioned?

Your reasons make sense. :) I hope you do find someone to rely on. But of what sort of male fun are you speaking, if I might ask?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 4:49 pm

In opinion, the tomboys I have encountered are a little too badass for me.

Is this normal for a tomboy?

GNRfan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jul 2008, 5:00 pm

I lot of my lady friends are tomboys but still retain their femi charm , overall i'd say it's by no mean a bad thing to be tomboy, since it will really help you decode how a guy would think, which is helpful in several ways. Just don't over do it though lol

ecky
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2008, 2:37 pm

I think you're right; there seem to be fewer "real" tomboys around nowadays. I think, though it can't be used to describe the differences between eras generally, that the likable thing about those 80's tomboys was that they were entirely themselves, almost more so than other girls or boys, because they were not afraid to adopt so-called "boyish" behavior, but were not trying to become boys rather than girls, if that makes sense.

As an aside, Watts is my hero.