AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2008, 12:16 am

From Drudge Report:

http://www.businessandmedia.org/article ... 52511.aspx

Quote:
Stern on XM/Sirius Merger: 'I Will Never Vote For a Democrat Again'
Satellite radio talk show star cites 'gangsterism,' 'communism' for holding up deal.

By Jeff Poor
Business & Media Institute
7/24/2008 3:27:46 PM

Sirius Satellite Radio host Howard Stern supports the merger of his network with XM Satelitte Radio and is fuming at Democratic opposition on the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) panel.

After FCC commissioners announced they have reached a deal to approve the merger of Sirius (NASDAQ:SIRI) and XM (NASDAQ:XMSR), Stern ranted about Democrats’ ‘gangsterism’ and ‘communism’ and the obstacles to the merger.

Stern described a phone conversation he had with his agent, who he described as a “liberal Democrat kind of guy.”

“I go, ‘That’s it!’” Stern said. “[I] go, ‘You know what Don, I’ve voted Republican and I’ve voted Democrat. I have vowed I will never vote for a Democrat again. I don’t give a [expletive] – no matter who they are. I don’t care if God becomes a Democrat.’ I said, ‘I backed Hillary Clinton, I backed Al Gore, I backed John Kerry. I am done with them.’”

Stern took it a step even further and called Democrats on the FCC “communists” and referred to their tactics as “gangsterism.”

“The fact that these Democrats on the FCC are communists,” Stern said. “They’re for communism. They don’t want to see companies – this is gangsterism. I said, ‘This is crazy.’”

The FCC commission is a five-member panel made up of three Republicans and two Democrats. The Democrats include Jonathan Adelstein and Michael Copps. The Republicans include FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, Robert McDowell and Deborah Taylor Tate. Tate had been the swing vote on the proposed merger and on July 24 The Wall Street Journal reported she would vote in favor of the merger.

To Hear Complete Audio, Click Here

Strong words from a shock jock who is VERY liberal about his views. What do you think?

you will jouney from boy to man

monty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 11:59 am

If he is basing his decision on the actions of Democratic and Republican members of the FCC, I can't see how he would ever vote for a Democrat OR a Republican. He has been fined and threatened with fines so many times ... it was the Republicans on the FCC that went bezerk when Janet Jackson showed a brief glimpse of cleavage (with something covering the actual naughty bit) ... now Democrats on the FCC have anti-trust concerns if the only 2 satellite radio companies merge ...

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 1:22 pm

What?!? Now isn't he sorta sticking a shotgun in his mouth?

monty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 1:31 pm

Averick wrote:

Nope. He is not on the broadcast airwaves anymore - so he has no vested interest in defending freedom of speech as it applies to most radio and TV. Cable and satellite is something that the FCC doesn't do much about.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 1:44 pm

who cares?

Balefire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2008, 8:36 pm

At least he doesn't call autism a fraud... :roll:

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:06 pm

This isn't really about political philosophy. He just thinks the merger would be in his best interest so he's upset with those opposing it.

I don't really know enough about the issue to have an informed opinion.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:10 pm

Averick wrote:

No. I think he's worried that Sirius might go under if they don't merge. He doesn't want to lose his show.