Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 10:29 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 10:41 am

sounds like you'd be better off getting another fan rather than a new computer... go down to your local small computer shop and have a chat, they should be able to help, and fit it for you if necessary. :)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 11:17 am

I agree, change the fan. It could be defective. I had to change mine recently.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 12:04 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2005, 12:24 pm

Ante wrote:
Last year I chose myself a Christmas present off my family, it was a new Medion computer that looked cheap and cutting edge that I saw for sale in Aldi. (Why? Why? Why? - Did I trust Aldi? I'm a plonker.)

With this computer the fan is so loud that the only way I can listen to music and sounds properly is to use earphones or headphones. I honestly think my computer has aspirations to be a vacuum cleaner.

Hehe, My medion PC is from Aldi.

thing is, i bought the 2002 version. And id just like to say, its the quietest PC ive EVER heard, yes *EVER*. I thought id rub it in :lol:

Is the loud fan coming from the Power Supply, CPU or graphics card ? I understand over the yeats, graphics card fans just got louder and louder. My PC does get louder when im doing CPU intensive stuff, but listening to music its silent. But even when it gets louder its not very loud compared to other pcs.

Last edited by Jonny on 07 Nov 2005, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 12:32 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 2:49 pm

Ante wrote:
Thanks for the advice, fellas. :) Why didn't I think of that?! I'm glad I can fix it because I was actually not wanting to pay for a new one. I'll try taking it to a computer store in Greater Manchester this week while I'm going to stay there. Is is better to take it to a small independent store or a big corporation like PC World for the best service?

Ante,try Grapevine in Altrincham (it's opposite the indoor market,which is a short walk from the bus/metrolink station),I do work experience in the repair/build department there and the tech team are incredible-friendly,knowledgeable,unbiased and independant-I've learnt a lot off all of them.
Whatever you do,do not take it to PC world/mastercare,you will get highly overcharged.
You'd probably be better off fitting it yourself if you had the confidence to (not neccessarily knowledge,as there are a lot of guides on the internet how to fit parts),the cash saved on manual labour could be spent on something else.

Grapevines' site:
http://www.grapevinecomputers.co.uk/

Assembling a PC:
http://www.buildeasypc.com/

Actually....I have just had a thought...the repair IT department at South Trafford College in Altrincham do cut price repairs/upgrades etc,they do not advertise this well (or at all),I only know of the service as I'm observing a PC repair course there.
Might be worth checking out.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 3:16 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

06 Nov 2005, 3:18 pm

Ante wrote:
Thanks for the tips, KingdomOfRats. :) I could go to Grapevine or South Trafford College when I go to Manchester because when I go there I get an all-day bus-tram ticket. There's just one other thing I'm wondering about, how long do you think it would take to replace the fan and test it's not too loud by someone fixing it? I'm hoping it won't take too long so that I can take it to somewhere and take it home with me in one day.

The hard drive is probably also too loud.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 3:39 pm

Ante wrote:
Thanks for the tips, KingdomOfRats. :) I could go to Grapevine or South Trafford College when I go to Manchester because when I go there I get an all-day bus-tram ticket. There's just one other thing I'm wondering about, how long do you think it would take to replace the fan and test it's not too loud by someone fixing it? I'm hoping it won't take too long so that I can take it to somewhere and take it home with me in one day.

No problem Ante! :)

Grapvine--I couldn't guess an exact time as it depends on how busy they are,it should be about 1-2 days-they do have a "fast track" service to get it done ahead of the que,but I very much doubt it'll be needed as the team are very efficient,and it is incredibly simple-to put it into perspective,the first day I was there(with no building experience),I managed to put a full PC together in less than 90 minutes with some guidance,so just one of the fans will be a swift job for someone with the experience. :)

South Trafford(repair IT dep)-i'm not sure what days they are open for business,but,I can get the phone number (or if you are uncomfortable with using phones) an email contact off the guy who runs it if you want? I'm seeing him tomorrow.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!