Are there any aspies that are NOT politically correct?

Page 5 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2008, 7:33 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Fossy wrote:
Sora wrote:
I'm not politically correct, I can't help it.

I use words that other people understand very differently from me all the time. I called a teacher's behaviour antisocial, but didn't know it had more meanings than the literal 'preventing efficient social relationship'.

And one time, a teacher who's gotten me into a disciplinary affair claimed I had said something about her weight. That was incorrect, so I said I had called her stupid but not fat as she is. I didn't know weight was a touchy issue.

So... I'm probably not politically correct at all.

I have no idea what's politically correct and what's not until people try to lynch me for what I said.

Well the thing is it's hard to tell because different people have different weak spots, and we don't know what someone's weak spot is until they tell us. Not everyone is touchy about weight actually, only certain people are.

I actually HATE it when I have a failing, and people mention it VERY late in the game. I am heavyset, but wouldn't mind people saying so.

Fossy wrote:
My bf is black, and lives in a black neighborhood, and most blacks I know don't have any issue with being called black. Plus calling someone African American doesn't really work because not all black people are African American.

Still, I remember in the 70s when people alked on eggshells wondering what to call blacks. Gee, whites aren't really white. Why should blacks be upset with such a term. FINALLY though, a P.C. advocate reveals that african american isn't an adequate term! Some blacks even say "people of color", but they MEAN black though the term may be taken to mean non whites.

Fossy wrote:
Also some little people don't have any problem with the term "midget" and some would rather be called "midget" than "little person". When I think about it "little person" is actually worse than calling someone a "midget" because it's passive agressive and actually (probably unintentionally) sounds like calling someone less of a person then someone who is of average height.

Again, midget sometimes fits, and little person is misleading. Heck, outside of SOCIETY(like problems AS people have), and some comorbids(like AS people have), being small isn't that bad. If you should fall, there is less distance, and you can have smaller homes, etc... Still, they apparently TEND to prefer "little people".

Fossy wrote:
This is a very interesting topic and I'm glad the OP brought it up.

:roll:

Well maybe if you had read when I said I wasn't a PC advocate (I believe I stated this several times.) :roll: I don't think it's necessary all of the time, and I've found a lot of circumstances when it wasn't necessary.

Do you actually read what anybody writes if it doesn't correlate exactly with your own opinion? Obviously you didn't read my post. I said that it's different for different people. The "midget" example was me saying that not all "little people" find the term offensive, thus it is different for different people. And what you wrote seems to imply that I said something different.

Are you trying to turn this into a personal argument between you and I because I'm really not answering you anymore since you don't read what I write or what most of the people on this thread have written and I actually didn't expect you to read what I wrote. :roll: Stop flaming me please.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 8:02 pm

Fossy wrote:
Well maybe if you had read when I said I wasn't a PC advocate (I believe I stated this several times.) :roll: I don't think it's necessary all of the time, and I've found a lot of circumstances when it wasn't necessary.

Do you actually read what anybody writes if it doesn't correlate exactly with your own opinion? Obviously you didn't read my post. I said that it's different for different people.

I was paying more attention to what you said, rather than claimed

Fossy wrote:
The "midget" example was me saying that not all "little people" find the term offensive, thus it is different for different people. And what you wrote seems to imply that I said something different.

I never claimed that! I was stating what I say on various shows. There is a CONVENTION! You see, I DID actually watch a whole show about it from THEIR point of view. I have seen several shows. They spoke of hardships, TYPES of dwarfs/midgets, bullying, etc... They even showed one girl getting her extremities extended so she could seem more normal, and problems dating.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/foru ... 8201997469

Fossy wrote:
Are you trying to turn this into a personal argument between you and I because I'm really not answering you anymore since you don't read what I write or what most of the people on this thread have written and I actually didn't expect you to read what I wrote. :roll: Stop flaming me please.

Certainly NOT!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 8:09 pm

I'm pretty un- PC.

It really annoys my sister.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 8:20 pm

I'm un-PC about religion, emotion and our species. Deal with it. Or not. I don't care.

:D

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 6:29 pm

about a couple of years after my diagnosis with Asperger's, which was shortly after the holidays, I hated anything religious-sounding about Christmas, including the word Christmas itself. I soon changed the label on my box of Christmas Decorations to Holiday Decorations. I no longer wanted to sing carols that mention Jesus or God. About five years after my diagnosis, I felt very depressed and made black paper snowflakes and put small toy animals with hangman's nooses on my tree. But by the second year I decided to ease off a little because Christmas decorations and trees aren't supposed to be dreary and depressing. Although The Nightmare Before Christmas has the best of both worlds, I guess. Now I tend to get heavily annoyed when other people say "holiday" instead of Christmas and think even angels shouldn't be displayed in public "holiday" trees. I wouldn't flip out if I saw a giant glowing manora candle on someone's lawn.

Actually it's not that extreme where I live. Most people here put up a tree and give out presents at Christmas. But I still don't want the religious meaning of the holiday pushed down my throat. I've never even gone to Midnight Mass. As a kid, my parents would take my brother and me to see our grandparents and relatives on Christmas Eve instead, which I think was a lot better than just sitting in a church.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 2:10 pm

This "political correctness" thing is even more complicated than the "offensiveness" thing we debated here not long ago, though it's strongly related to it.

I sometimes disapprove of it, e.g. the "person-first" thing which says we're not allowed to say "autistic people" but must always say "people who have autism." I get the point, but it's just too cumbersome to comply, and it makes for a clumsy talking and writing style. It's also disturbing if you can't get an essay accepted without complying, which I think is sometimes the case. That brings the notion of control into things, and raises questions about who makes these decisions and how accountable they are.

I was once called out for being politically correct because I'd mentioned that certain behaviour encouraged people to view women as sex objects. It's possible that my critic took exception to my using the phrase because it's become an emotive phrase - people tend to automatically think, "Sex objects? Oh yes that's bad isn't it, so the author must have a point" instead of thinking about it. But equally, using the term "politically correct" is dodgy too, for the same reason. I would actually have expanded on what I meant by sex objects, but I had to keep my communication short.

I'm also wary of siding with the "anti-PC brigade" because it's been used so much by the right wing in a very dishonest way - e.g. tabloid headlines proclaiming "political correctness gone mad" to hammer home the point of their story that some "loony leftie" was trying to suppress some aspect of Christmas so as not to offend the Muslims. Most of the time the stories turned out to be complete lies.

It's hard to know where the line is between sincerely using a commonly-understood shorthand phrase and disingenuously using it for its emotive propaganda value. I prefer to communicate my ideas in a dry, detailed manner, but as Hitler discovered, few people listen to that kind of stuff.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 2:39 pm

From what I understand being "politically correct" means not saying something that belittles or offends a large group of people for something innocuous like being from a particular race, sexual orientation, disability, or religion (as long as they refrain from evangelizing to and judging other people). Basically being aware of your language and trying not to needlessly or accidentally insult someone.

I don't know why there is such a controversy over this. What is so hard about avoiding hurtful words and calling people what they want to be called?

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 9:27 pm

Does calling someone stupid instead on ignorant an example of not being politically correct? If so, then I'm not politically correct most of the time.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 9:37 pm

Deb1970 wrote:
Does calling someone stupid instead on ignorant an example of not being politically correct? If so, then I'm not politically correct most of the time.

Nope. You're good, but if you had used the word "ret*d" instead then not so much.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 1:07 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
I don't know why there is such a controversy over this. What is so hard about avoiding hurtful words and calling people what they want to be called?

I too prefer things to be nice, and I don't have much trouble with it myself. I think it's when it gets extreme that the trouble starts with many people. People find they're being expected to do too much to avoid causing some or other imagined offense, they get sick of having to pussyfoot around, and the whole PC thing starts to look like it's becoming more oppressive than the oppression it's supposed to be preventing. It's "no, you can't have a golliwog, you can't sing The Blackleg Miner, you can't say you think religion is bunk, you can't say you don't want a multicultural society, you can't say handicapped." It does get hard to avoid hurtful words if we can't say the slightest little thing without offending somebody. Then there's a reaction the other way, and what started out as a fine idea (i.e. "let's have a bit of sensitivity") is at risk of getting thrown out completely. Bullies and other fascists, who want to go back to everything being cruel and brash, wade in and fan the flames. That's why I think the whole PC thing gets to be a very thorny issue for a lot of people.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 1:24 pm

While it could be argued that I am "PC" in some ways, I actually find political correctness to be quite idiotic. Political correctness is just the left's version of the right's puritanism, and both are as lame as one another. I mean, I may not support racism, sexism, or homophobia, but I also don't support beating around the bush about things.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 4:13 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Political correctness is just the left's version of the right's puritanism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political ... orrectness

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 12:39 am

I'm definitely not politically correct, and I miss the less hysterical ways of the 1980's and 1990's.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 1:06 am

I'm not PC and can think of several others here who aren't either. I say what I mean and mean what I say usually. I don't want to offend and try not to but I'm not gonna jump through ridiculous verbal hoops for it. Not offending and not being offended both require some effort. People can't sit back and rip off every emotional scab they have and then expect everybody else in the world to tiptoe around them. We all have to learn when to take something seriously and when not to. Some things just aren't worth it, and some things aren't offensive unless you twist it seventeen ways from Sunday and look at it through two pairs of glasses and hold your mouth just right, and even then it only offends eight people. So, no I'm not. But I'm not a douchebag either.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2015, 1:17 am

In an ideal world, I will probably give political correctness the finger.

It is, in my opinion, the most pointless thing ever. I mean, if people want to be offended, they can b***h and moan about absolutely everything, be that names, symbolism etc. It's another thing politicians do when they cannot be arsed to solve the actual problem.

I mean, seriously, renaming "policeman" to "police officer" does not magically remove sexism. And if you are offended by that, grow a f-ing pair. There are worst problems in the world than some naming convention.

Sadly, the world is not to my ideals. People, NTs or not, can be annoyingly sensitive, and proceed to be horrified by every little word (but somehow oblivious to all the pointless profiteering and murdering, but I digress). So I play along.

I am, however, significantly less PC when around close friends.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 1:23 am

I think the term "political correctness" itself makes no sense, because the goal of it isn't to be correct or accurate in any way, it's all about trying not to offend people, as if one person's feelings are somehow everyone else's responsibility. It's about feelings, not logic or "correctness".

- Sherlock Holmes