Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 4:55 pm

People in my cohort like to use slang instead of the more formal register that aspies tend towards. To remedy this, I sometimes consciously try to use idioms and slang that are currently popular. The slang, though, gets mixed into the way I usually talk, so maybe that makes things worse (in relation to developing social rapport).

Who else does this sometimes?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 5:52 pm

Sometimes, as a joke, I will pepper in bits of the "gangsta" idiom. If you could hear my voice in person (low-pitched, very "flat" and monotone) you would understand why others find this amusing.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 8:07 pm

I used to speak like a book because it was basically my major interaction with language. When I started drinking , I was around people who swore a lot and I picked that up...not good. When t comes to popular expressions, I am usually a few years behind the "times"...I probably pick up most of them from Jon Stewart and Colbert, so I say them like they do....silly.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Balefire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2008, 9:15 pm

krex wrote:
I probably pick up most of them from Jon Stewart and Colbert, so I say them like they do....silly.

Same here.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 10:20 pm

Slangs just come naturally to me. I don't consciously give a lot of thought into em.

Larree
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2008, 10:23 pm

yeah. Mix it up. But don't get carried away with it. Work it in slowly. Find a slang word or two that flows with your own natural speaking pattern. Get comfortable with that, then add a few more! 8)

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:49 am

Orwell wrote:
Sometimes, as a joke, I will pepper in bits of the "gangsta" idiom. If you could hear my voice in person (low-pitched, very "flat" and monotone) you would understand why others find this amusing.

So kind of like when Stephen Colbert emphasizes the cool slang he's using so conspicuously in an ironic attempt to be cool by imitating others' uncool attempts to be cool?

gs56ca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2008, 12:27 am

I usually make up my own slang, but I have a hard time speaking properly to people outside of my personal circles. It will completely ruin my way of saying things to people. Even the body language, because I'm so used to be relaxed when I use slang.

greyh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2008, 3:12 am

I think the only slang i tend to use is 'quid' for pounds and similar everyday expressions that have become pretty normal. As for the subculture slang, well that's not really for me :P

sim
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:16 am

I use t3xt-sp33k slang in real life situations to run off with a bunch of stuff that people would otherwise probably find offensive. Not sure if the added incoherence is helping.

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 7:08 am

i am quite good at 1337 5p33k :)

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 3:40 pm

I pick up the slang of the people around me, which is bad when I go from, say, vacationing in Ireland to D.C.