Would you like to live in solitary confinement?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 8:45 pm

I'm not sure I'd mind. Just give me something decent to read, a comfortable mattress, one or two meals a day, and I'm all set and ready to grow a lot wiser.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 8:50 pm

Sometimes I've thought living in complete isolation—without ever having to interact with another human again—would be preferable, like buying a cabin and large chunk of land in the country and learn to farm and support myself without other people. It's mainly because social interaction has proven no end of frustration for me.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 9:23 pm

Mw99 wrote:
I'm not sure I'd mind. Just give me something decent to read, a comfortable mattress, one or two meals a day, and I'm all set and ready to grow a lot wiser.

Yeah. That sounds pretty good to me.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 9:27 pm

I actually thought about this! Outside of the lack of freedom, I guess I wouldn't mind either!

MintLemonade
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2008, 9:29 pm

I would go insane. I don't like being totally alone, it actually freaks me out to stay home alone at night. Although I don't go to many places I like my routine, especially traveling in cars when my dad picks me up for a long weekend out of state.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 9:34 pm

Confinment and isolation? Yes please, and leave me all the things here in my bed room till I die from them. :D

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 9:44 pm

Ask Ted Kazinski what he thinks of solitary confinement. Of course, from what I hear, he is actually enjoying it and is finding it better than the cabin where we was residing in Montana

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 9:45 pm

Ugh...Please don't remind me how much I identify with these guys....

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 10:24 pm

Autism isn't solitary confinement?

But apart from that, it wouldn't bother me, other than missing those I love.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 10:46 pm

At one time I wanted to take a six month vacation from life, or perhaps a year, or whenever my stash of cash ran out... To be sure, it's dangerous to a degree, especially if I was to be total drifter, going city to city, state to state every few days, but I think it'd be worth it to just get away from what I'm doing now. I've always had the feeling of living on the "outside," but somehow trapped by the "system." To be completely free of that system has always appealed to me.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 10:47 pm

Mw99 wrote:

How could you stand it? Wouldn't it drive you crazy eventually? What about exercise and stuff like that? Your body would become spongy.
I would hate that not because I want to be with the peoples all the time but because I wouldn't want to be all alone all the time in a soundless room where I most likely could hear the obtuse buzz of the gently flickering flourescent lights.
You would forget how to talk!

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

25 Jul 2008, 11:23 pm

I would find the loss of freedom unbearable. Sure I'm home a lot, but only by choice. Anything with the word "confinement" in it is terrible. I do as I please.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 2:52 am

No, never. Not in the coziest prison cell. Solitary Confinement is probably worse than death. It's the fate we reserve for those who are to be denied the leniency of a state execution.

Paul Bernardo, are you a Lifer? You've probably got a better cable hookup than me, knowing the Canadian prison system ...

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 3:11 am

I've actually given quite a bit of thought to this. The thing that deters me from it is, I would really miss my mom an awful lot, and my electronic goods (computer, iPod, Wii, DVDs...).

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 4:54 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
I actually thought about this! Outside of the lack of freedom, I guess I wouldn't mind either!

Unfortunately, the lack of freedom is one of the key features of solitary confinement. Solitary confinement bears almost no resemblance to choosing to be in your room alone all the time. It doesn't even bear much resemblance to being forced (by illness or something) to be in your room all the time. It's just not the same in a fundamental and qualitative way.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2008, 5:14 am

About eleven years ago in a Quaker group discussion - the subject of which I've forgotten - a woman said that she would find being in solitary confinement bearable and could cope with it psychologically, because she is introverted and lives in her head. I identified with her. But because of the loss of freedom I would not like to live in solitary confinement.