Do you ever feel like your the charity case?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 9:39 am

I swear people pity me left and right, i love hanging with my brother and his gf, mainly just his gf, shes so understanding, and i dont have any friends, so i love hanging with them because of her. Well anyways my boyfriend gets along with anybody so it doesnt matter, but it seems like my brother only brings me to hang out with them because of the pity he feels for me. Growing up my mother begged my brothers to take me places with them so she could get a break, and my brothers friends loooved me, mainly because i looked many years younger then i am and i act like im 3, so people thought i was like 6 or 7 when i was really 14 or 15, so i basically was babied a lot. Anyways now my brothers gf basically begs my brother to hang with me, because she feels so bad for me. My boyfriends friends all treat me like a little kid, i mean i act like one, but i know a lot of his friends treat me due to pity. I feel like a charity case wherever I go, it sucks. If i didnt look so young, i dont think people would even bother :( .

All i ever hear is how I suffer from autism and people feel bad due to that. I know autism is the main reason i am the way i am, i would do anything to become more high functioning to be able to be distinquished as an NT, to be able to live life without a problem, to be able to do things on my own, but Its just that i suffer more from people not realizing that I am a human being, I am not a retard, and I do understand and see whats going on around me, I am cognitively aware, and thats what I'm suffering from the most, lack of understanding, ignorance, and pity people give me :x . Does anybody else ever feel like a charity case?

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 9:55 am

Yes I do feel like this sometimes, but more with my mental health problems than my AS. I have been overly cared for for my whole childhood and I am 18 now and still feel like I'm 15.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 10:59 am

No, on the contrary. I wish someone ever, for once in my life, cut me some slack and didn't accuse me of my AS as a crime I commit on purpose against humanity.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:04 am

I do not get treated like a charity case, but I sure could use a donation about now.

Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2008, 11:15 am

At work I feel like people tiptoe around me because when I first started working there my boss made me cry and somehow everyone found out that I have back problems and wear a back brace. :roll:

Everytime I point something out to my supervisor he acts like I am going to freak out about it. It gets under my skin.

Yeah I want people to be understand and cut me slack but I don't want people to be afraid to talk to me like a normal person.

Bozewani
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:52 am

Some people act like I am not able to take care of myself but I lasted in Boston and Washington for three days by myself.

People also treat with patronage and condescension, but it doesn't bother me.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:52 am

This is a tough one. I get treated like a charity case, yes. But my case is a little more complicated than just having AS and I don't mind being treated like a charity case sometimes. Ah sheesh, if I could only convey what my life is like on here. It's so impossible! I just don't fit into any catagory. My biggest problem is that I look like a retard but I am far from being retarded but people assume I am retarded just by looking and they don't take me seriously or they think I am not capable of what I am capable of or they just don't want to deal with me at all. It's very frustrating and such a bind for me to be in and I have a tough time dealing with the situation because people make so many false assumptions about me and it drives me insane.

The only thing I can suggest is to look at yourself as a strong individual that can handle anything or anyone life throws at you. No matter what it is, you can handle it. You can handle being a charity case or not, having friends or not, being alone or not, being unhappy or not, looking like a retard and having people assume you are one and don't have the brains to do anything.

I am getting closer to being at that place in my life, just less and less concerned with it and valuing myself as someone who has had a very unique life experience and cherish that I can experience life differently, much unlike the norm and value the insights that gives.

You might be able to discuss your discomfort with feeling like a charity case with your family. If they aren't aware you feel this way they might not realize it bothers you.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:00 pm

My brother's relationship with me seems to be based on his feeling sorry for me, rather than seeing me as a fun person to socialize with. And I guess at this point I keep in touch with him in case I need support from him rather than because he's a fun guy to socialize with. I'm not sure which of us changed first, but I think it might have been him feeling sorry for me first. Normally I'd drop someone who feels that way about me, but in his case I really do need to keep in touch in case of emergency (plus who else will tell me if my parents die?).

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:02 pm

I feel more like a burden in many ways [as I'd like to do far more than what I'm capable of]; I don't go out much, so people don't have time to put any emotion on me.

I'm sure I'd draw the pity if I wanted to go out, and my difficulties showed themselves to people if I did.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:07 pm

The title of the post is grammatically incorrect.

Your is not the same as you're

you're = you are

I don't feel like I am a charity case.

Bozewani
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:18 pm

corroonb wrote:
The title of the post is grammatically incorrect.

Your is not the same as you're

you're = you are

I don't feel like I am a charity case.

Si, nosotros sabemos hahahaha
Yes, we know

This post is also politically incorrect.

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:21 pm

Hell/ Ive felt like n charity case all my life h5tough Ive strived n suppassed many others.

Ive always been my boss.. I think :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:35 pm

I hate pity, received or given. It extinguishes true compassion and makes the object of that pity into something less than human. Pity is an affirmation of a shortcoming and the identification of a person with that shortcoming. Pity marginalizes people who could otherwise overcome their disabilities and realize their full potentials.

"Oh, don't mind Fnord, dear. It's a real pity, you know ... he's an Aspie and doesn't know what he's saying, so just ignore him. Now run along before he upsets you ..."

Must.
Control.
Fists.
Of.
Death.

:evil:

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:56 pm

Like I said I was my own Boss
'n other like the other girls 'round me
I didnt go hang with the other street kids
In there dirty squat out sleepin n eatin scaps off the floor
throw in a few good men
Like my best friend decided 2 go when she got kicked out
Last I saw her she got knifed sleepin on the floor with her BF n a hundred other drop outs
'n where was I
In a ROYAL hotel being fine, wined n dined
I WAS THE BOSS

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 1:12 pm

'n for the record Ive always wanted to be a FAMOUS Actress

Hollywood phoned me today 'n offerin me a promotion workn with Charlize Theron (LUV HER)

Not sure if I'll take it yet.. might have to give it a few more classes

Workin my way to the top

FAMOUS *HOLLYWOOD* STAR see me on the big screen soon!!