How come people say some autistic kids/adults can not learn?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:24 pm

So, I'm not sure how to phrase this... I'm trying to wrap my head around this right now. Some few parents say their autistic children cannot learn anything due to autism. They even go so far as to say their kid's are as if dead, because they say their kids really can't learn anything at all.

If that is a reality and it's all due to autism itself, how come so many autistic can learn and some few with the same label 'cannot'?

Is that the leading argument that says anyone who has learned something isn't autistic? Do those people think the inability to do anything at all is real autism and any other symptoms are just something else?

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:27 pm

People who say this are ignorant, narrow minded, moronic bigots.

:twisted:

Alaspi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 1:44 pm

people say a lot of things. and i learned that you don't have to listen to any of it. if it doesn't make sense then it probably doesn't have anything about it to be senseful.

Hugging is natural, organic, naturally sweet, free of pesticides and preservatives. Hugging contains no artificial ingredients. It's 100% wholesome. No calories, no caffeine, no nicotine.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 1:49 pm

My son was evaluated in Kindergarten on that premise: Inability to learn despite cognitive abilities. This got him services.

I agree, iit's hogwash. He learned fine, just not in their manner.

He learns what he wants when he wants. He is always absorbing and learning. He does things in his own way, at his own pace.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 1:53 pm

Yeah, research says we do learn, just differently. Including people normally said not to learn. It's just we don't learn in the same order, or the same things, or the same pace, and some people think their kind of learning is the only meaningful way.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 3:29 pm

In sum: BECAUSE THEY'RE ACTING LIKE A NEGATIVE SIGN UNDER A RADICAND.

Yes, Autists learn. Maybe not in the same way, but when we know it, WE KNOW IT. And we're that good.

Brainy Lab Pet.